Sign in to follow this  
apme123

Why is it so hard to implement a logout timer?

Almost every day I lose out on extra gear and kills. Why can't the devs just enable a 30 sec logout timer? Is it so hard for them to do after getting 10 million+ of our hard earned cash?

Money does not equal immediate progress. They've brought us this amazing game and it's only going to get better. Be patient and let them bring in the system they want.

The idea that throwing money at games makes them better is something the mainstream games companies need to get over before it destroys them and/or the industry. And people should not be encouraging them.

• Like 3

Dude, the game is in ALPHA, a logout timer right now is irrelevant. This version of the game is for testing purposes and implementing core components.

• Like 5

Almost every day I lose out on extra gear and kills. Why can't the devs just enable a 30 sec logout timer? Is it so hard for them to do after getting 10 million+ of our hard earned cash?

Money =/= coding ability

They have to make sure it doesn't effect anything or just desync everything.

There was 30 sec log out timer once in DayZ mod.

People cried so hard on forums that they can't combat log, that it was removed.

Probably this is why they do not really want to have log out timer in standalone.

Dude, the game is in ALPHA, a logout timer right now is irrelevant. This version of the game is for testing purposes and implementing core components.

This. The people tryharding this game right now are killing me XD. It's an alpha test. Who cares

There was 30 sec log out timer once in DayZ mod.

People cried so hard on forums that they can't combat log, that it was removed.

Probably this is why they do not really want to have log out timer in standalone.

Its already been said that there will be some kind of system, i'm wanting to say disconnecting manualy or Alt-f4ing should trigger your body to stay in game for about 30 seconds. 

Game Exploits
* Combat logging protection not working
Currently many of our features such as queued loading, combat logging timeout, etc... have been disabled as there is the possibility that they will cause additional strain on the central server. Once we know that we can handle the load we will begin implementing these. We do expect this will be a long process, and we'll be working with the community to identify effective ways to deal with this.

• Like 5

Everytime I read a thread like this i think of Dean throwing 100€ bills at the screen screaming "WHY U NO FINISHED DAYZ!!?"

Money does not speed up development progress in the way people think. 

• Like 2

People saying it's in alpha.. sure. But some things can't be tested due to people just logging out instantly.. like if handcuffs/holding people up is viable. 

Also, a 30 second time is extremely easy to add in.. which i think the main poster is getting at.. and to the guy saying the combat log measures were removed, you must have been playing every other version of the mod than i was.. ie not Overwatch, epoch, dayzero, etc.

Edited by Mao Zedong
  • Like 1

Game Exploits
Currently many of our features such as queued loading, combat logging timeout, etc... have been disabled as there is the possibility that they will cause additional strain on the central server. Once we know that we can handle the load we will begin implementing these. We do expect this will be a long process, and we'll be working with the community to identify effective ways to deal with this.

This man knows his stuff.

Game Exploits

I think they are more worried that forum could not handle all the QQ of people when they suddenly can't combat log.

• Like 1

I think they are more worried that forum could not handle all the QQ of people when they suddenly can't combat log.

fuck 'em, who cares

Edited by Mao Zedong
  • Like 1

As already mentioned, it's alpha and many features is not yet implemented. Logout  is a bigger theme, than only a timer. Maybe it would be tied with such feature as "sleeping", when player must lie down somewhere in safe place and then wait a timer (15-30 sec). Logically he must have possibility to interrupt this timer by slightly moving a mouse.

The main problem - there isn't so many safe places. I mean underground "bunkers" or especially the attics in residential houses. These would be best places "to sleep" - logout. IMHO.

because if the devs decide to implement features they want to make sure they are 100% top notch and not just thrown together to appease the forum people. I think right now the devs are trying to make sure their existing featuers are 100% without adding in more complications of additional features. I personally think this is the best way.

fuck 'em, who cares

Rocket cares.

Cries on forum was reason why log out timer was removed from DayZ mod.

• Like 1

I don't wanna wait to log out from a game if I really need to do something in real life. If that's how it is then I'll force kill DayZ (I dont really care if my character dies or not). Just like in the mod. And right now, I'm pretty sure it leaves your character on the server but takes it away when you log into another one. So that's the problem.

Edited by Sutinen

Forums have been killing games for years, WoW forums killed WoW..

I don't wanna wait to log out from a game if I really need to do something in real life. If that's how it is then I'll force kill DayZ (I dont really care if my character dies or not). Just like in the mod. And right now, I'm pretty sure it leaves your character on the server but takes it away when you log into another one. So that's the problem.

..you just want to combat log

• Like 2

Rocket cares.

Cries on forum was reason why log out timer was removed from DayZ mod.

Rocket created the game he wanted to play in the beginning, If he listens to forum posts or players it wont end up as the game he wanted to make. It will end up just another hand holding boring game like most other games.

Why is 30 seconds enough again, by the way?  Sry but if you gotta shit... find a spot in the woods to doit in... if you get a phone call dont be a pansy and logout... this stuff breaks the game.  Id prefer a 2 min timer myself, movment breaks it, damage breaks it.  Treat it like hearthstone in WoW.

• Like 1

Why is 30 seconds enough again, by the way?  Sry but if you gotta shit... find a spot in the woods to doit in... if you get a phone call dont be a pansy and logout... this stuff breaks the game.  Id prefer a 2 min timer myself, movment breaks it, damage breaks it.  Treat it like hearthstone in WoW.

2 mins is cool, 1 min imo and can only log out in certain areas outside of towns and certainly not inside buildings to stop ghosting and server hopping.

• Like 1