Asteroid (DayZ)

The game is downloading and I need to know stuff

OK hi everyone, I never played the original DayZ mod but I am downloading standalone at the moment. I need to know some things.

I have seen various environments from trailers and gameplay such as villages,cities and coasts but...is that it? Is scenery extremely varied as in you could find a train station and if you follow the tracks you would come across a lighthouse as it is near the coast etc..... Just want to make sure environment isn't repetitive.

Also why are people saying humans are worse than zombies in this game? Is it about killing eachother? are there NPC's which are kinda like psycho's?

Also how many zombies are there? People are complaining there isn't enough...

Atm it's more about player interaction atm since Zombies are quite glitchy so they are reduced massively, once fixed I'm sure there will be a lot more. No NPCs either, don't know any plans about them.

• Like 1

environment is a little bit repetitive according to me, as you don't have to much buildings model (may be someone know the really amount but I would say around 40-50). But the landscape is correctly balanced (good ratio between coast, open field, hill, forest, mountain. So if you keep in mind that the map if 225km², I think it's a pretty good job.

No real "NPC's", only AI in the game are zombies, and at the moment they are very predictable and not so strong. And yes, there are not engouh zombies yet, but it's an alpha version, performance have to be improved to add more and soon they will become a real threat (I hope ;) )

So the real threat is the wicked and tortured human mind :D

Most of the player just want your gear, your blood, or even just kill you for pleasure ;)

Just trust nobody until he earn your trust

Welcome in chernarus :thumbsup:

Edited by matiman
  • Like 2

Hi

Welcome to the game, only been playing a couple of weeks myself! 

most of the main roads will take you to a town or city as do the tracks. i did find myself in the northern wilderness following tracks for an age tho, eventually came back to the coast and headed south down a road in the hunt for houses. 

Re humans, some help some KOS. just be careful 

Re zombies, from what ive encountered so far there's normally 3-5 zombies per village (if nobodys been thro the area) 

• Like 1

The environment is not that varied, it's pretty much all rolling countryside with some large towns, large villages, small villages, factories, etc... but the environment itself is an Autumn setting... there are no snow areas, no desert, none of that sort of thing if that's what you're looking for.

As for humans being your worst enemy, that is correct. Since this is alpha and they are still in the process of testing server load balance, world spawns, item spawns, and the like, the zombie level has been turned down extensively. I wouldn't image that at any one place there are more then 5 to 10 zombies in any city at any one time. Plus due to the fact that the zombies dont yet respawn, once they are all killed the only danger that remains is the other humans on the server.

2 things to remember:

1) Don`t get attached to your gear because you will lose it

2) You will die. Many, many times.

Welcome

Some players are playing psycho and some more just playing killem all for kicks. This is a game where you play however you wish, make a role, assume a roll whatever, anything goes.

The zombies are pretty few and far between but they are more or less placeholders while load testing and what have you goes on.

Early DayZ, theres is a lot to come including other ways to amuse yourself aside from killing anything that walks.

No worries about repetitive environment, a few building types are common but that's towns and cities for you.

That's really helpful, shame about the zombies..guess I could Role play that the government tried to destroy as many zombies before they were overrun so fell back and now remaining zombies have split..

or at least until they add more i dunno

I played the DayZ mod once or twice for about 15 minutes each. 

However I've played about 25 hours of DayZ Standalone, more than enough for now to get a good feel for the game.

You'll find the environment a bit repetitive at times, not because it doesn't have variety, but because it tries to be realistically scaled. It's supposed to feel like open, massive countryside with small towns and cities scattered around it.

The coast is filled with the most cities and towns in close proximity, while the forest and hill areas have towns spread further apart.

Yes, right now most game interaction is player based, rather than zombies, which sounds odd for a zombie survival game, but it's more because of optimization limitations rather than bad design. Zombies are rather easy to deal with. Have a weapon, and run around them as you hit them in the head. The off chance you run into multiple zombies might be a bit more of a challenge though. 

After about 20 hours of play, you might find gameplay becoming repetitive as well, as there's little more to do than run around, find loot, and kill other players (or work together...to kill other players), though much more content is planned to be added within the next few months to a year.

2 things to remember:

1) Don`t get attached to your gear because you will lose it

2) You will die. Many, many times.

Be aware, Leo has grossly under-estimated the number of times you will die by many, many orders of magnitude!

There's a couple of good guides already on these forums. Start by reading those. They'll get you up and running pretty quickly.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

The goal in my opinion is to team up, gear up and survive as a team, killing zombies, not humans... but i guess that will happen in real life too...

One thing to remember and is an absolute must above anything else. This is Alpha!

The game currently is very buggy, lots of features are missing and you WILL lose gear/characters due to wipes or maybe server changing.

As long as you expect and know this, all is good. Welcome to DayZ!