gunslinger_ka

Putting a hit on bandits / kill on sighters

People always complain about that bandit or KOS attitude. So I asked myself the question "why do people KOS?". The answer to that question is quite simple: there are no consequences! 

So what if there were?

I'm thinking of a system that automatically puts a hit on you as soon as you killed like 2 or 3 people. Or one unarmed person, i am not sure about how to handle that part yet. Your name together with your last known position (coordinates or region) together with a brief description of what you look like will then be put on a list that can only be accessed if you possess a radio or maybe some laptop with a satellite connection (so the whole thing fits into the scenario). This of course needs to be updated every now and then because otherwise it would probably be impossible to fnd that person.

This list would of course be server specifc, so you only get to see hits on people that are actually on your server but if a hit gets put on you it will follow you of course. 

So then there is the question of capturing them dead or alive. Either it would always be dead or alive or depending on the amount of players the target killed either dead or alive.

Dead: If the target dies the hit on it also dies. 

Alive: players would have to capture the target and handcuff him, then strip him of some of his things, maybe beat him unconscious, then the hit on the target dies and the target is free to go. This of course would be more difficult and you would probably need a small group of friends to capture the target. 

So what would motivate someone to go after a bandit, since there would be no cash reward?

Maybe just for the sake of punishing a KOSer! Or to get his gear, if you caught him alive you would even get it unruined! But that of course would be more difficult! Another reason would be that people had something to do besides surviving. The whole thing would add another late game aspect to DayZ that wouldnt be too dominant over the other aspects, because not everyone has a hit on his ass and not everyone has the possibility to go after someone with a hit because not everyone has the ressources (radio/laptop, guns, ammo, friends, etc.) to do so. But it would definitely put conesequnces to KOSing and banditting! 

I really like that idea and hope that it somehow finds its way into the game, hope you people like it too.

Radio maybe, Laptop no.

Also I don't see how you can put a hit on someone when the point is you don't have the first clue as to who killed you. There are no name tags or identifiers. We are all faceless in this wasteland and unless you have a group you are dead and they are not.

You can't report a crime from the grave buddy

• Like 1

So they just switch servers after killing and they're free? What's the point?

there are currently several factors that boost the antisocial behaviour:

- we have a massive influx of new players who dont know better

- we have obscene amounts of loot for testing purposes

- we have limited spawn points for testing purposes

- many features that would engage players beyond the combat are not yet implemented due to early stage of development

all together, you have a huge amount of hyped-up people, easily armed, who have little idea what else to do other than combat

generally, i am against punishing a certain playstyle per game mechanic. we have often encountered group dynamics where people bonded together to hunt for bandits, and i think thats one of the main points in DayZ - player interaction instead of artificial game mechanics.

we might as well witness bounty boards in future, when notes and annotations are implemented. you might then find bounty rewards and hit contracts written on notes and pinned to church doors, for every interested party to read and engage on

• Like 3

People always complain about that bandit or KOS attitude. So I asked myself the question "why do people KOS?". The answer to that question is quite simple: there are no consequences! 

There are nothing else to do, so I will KoS as long as I can breathe. And if you have no balls to fight me or no skills to survive in this cruel world - it's your problem pal.

Explain please

There are loads of factors the game can't account for, you could be screaming obscenities at people in their face in the voice chat, wanting them to shoot you, and they'd be the ones punished if you did. 

If they didn't you could just follow them around being a cunt until they shot you.

Its a bit more complicated than that, and generally player behaviors are guided by incentive rather than penalty.  That being said, Dayz is a sandbox game.  The organization/mobilization of play against a player (for whatever reason, greifing/pk being most common) should be something that is handled by players with existing resources (the game should not provide additional bounty rewards or artificially impact play).  The real question is if players have ample means of communication in game (which is another topic completely).

• Like 1

So they just switch servers after killing and they're free? What's the point?

No as i mentioned, that hit moves with you from server to server, so if you switch servers you are also wanted on the other server

There are nothing else to do, so I will KoS as long as I can breathe. And if you have no balls to fight me or no skills to survive in this cruel world - it's your problem pal.

I actually do not mind KOS that much, i do it too sometimes, especially at the airfields. But I really hate  getting shot for no reason I just dont think it is the way people would behave. I like this game for its realism (set aside the zombies) I just dont think KOS wouldnt happen like that in a similar real situation.

Its a bit more complicated than that, and generally player behaviors are guided by incentive rather than penalty.  That being said, Dayz is a sandbox game.  The organization/mobilization of play against a player (for whatever reason, greifing/pk being most common) should be something that is handled by players with existing resources (the game should not provide additional bounty rewards or artificially impact play).  The real question is if players have ample means of communication in game (which is another topic completely).

I agree with you that DayZ is a Sandbox game and that the PvP behavior shouldnt be influenced by game mechanics. What i proposed can actually already be done without a special wanted list but i think it is nearly impossible. 

But I thought that adding such a list could be more fun for both the KOSers and those who dont KOS, the KOS people will be hunted and will therefore always have to face other players and the hunters who usually dont KOS can enjoy hunting the guy.

On how to get on the list: I dont want people to report other people, it should be kinda automated so that people cannot abuse the list to get random people wanted. 

I dont think that random KOS will ever disappear and i do not think that it is realistic in its continual occurence at the moment. I think that "bounty hunter" system could have a positive impact on it

there are currently several factors that boost the antisocial behaviour:

- we have a massive influx of new players who dont know better

- we have obscene amounts of loot for testing purposes

- we have limited spawn points for testing purposes

- many features that would engage players beyond the combat are not yet implemented due to early stage of development

all together, you have a huge amount of hyped-up people, easily armed, who have little idea what else to do other than combat

generally, i am against punishing a certain playstyle per game mechanic. we have often encountered group dynamics where people bonded together to hunt for bandits, and i think thats one of the main points in DayZ - player interaction instead of artificial game mechanics.

we might as well witness bounty boards in future, when notes and annotations are implemented. you might then find bounty rewards and hit contracts written on notes and pinned to church doors, for every interested party to read and engage on

I think that a system like mine could encourage bonding and player interaction. 

Maybe punishing wasnt the right word. I think it d just be another fun aspect. 

Also, i dont think everyone would start hunting KOSer cause youd first have to find the appropriate gear and maybe friends.  

Hit contracts on notes would only work on private hives, otherwise there d be no chance of ever finding someone. I think my system would be a great way for the public hives.

Maybe make this as a possible function the server owner can turn on or off when hosting a server

Edited by gunslinger_ka

This is something that should be easily done later on down the development line without having the need for artificial mechanics to be implemented which would take away the core of DayZ's appeal to players. I imagine radio's would be the best way to do it, as someone who witnessed the KoS but isn't equipped to deal with the KoS'er could report it server wide on a radio for others to deal with if they so wish. That would be a lot cooler, and more realistic I might add, than your name going on a list with last known location for everyone to see because the game has decided that you've killed a few too many people over time. 

Slightly increased heartbeat when aiming at a bandit. How about that?

The only good way to do something with KoS is to make weapons and ammo extremly rare so people won't kill freshspawns because they will get 0 items from them, and they will waste ammo they've been looking for for some time. People would have to think if the person they are aiming at is worth wasting bullets. This would also help the robbing system, more people would let the guy go after they handcuffed him and robbed him, because they took items they wanted, and they wouldn't want to waste a bullet just to kill him for fun at the end.

Edited by Gdaddy22

Give me a sack of beans and point me in the right direction, and I'll carry that hit out for you.

• Like 1

Jamming weapons would also be another way to make people think twice before they shoot.... or ruinded ammunition that explodes inside your gun

never gonna happen.

Definitely not. The advocates of the idea seem to be missing the point that their idea bandaids a problem that will be solved by significant changes to the way the game plays currently (i.e shitloads more zombies with radically different AI, damage to kit etc. etc.). The KoS 'issue' will be reduced by virtue of the fact that the game will just get more hostile and unforgiving. It'll encourage teamwork.

But by all means guys, flog that horse.

Definitely not. The advocates of the idea seem to be missing the point that their idea bandaids a problem that will be solved by significant changes to the way the game plays currently (i.e shitloads more zombies with radically different AI, damage to kit etc. etc.). The KoS 'issue' will be reduced by virtue of the fact that the game will just get more hostile and unforgiving. It'll encourage teamwork.

But by all means guys, flog that horse.

Sort of, but not really. The reason this'll never be in the game is because Rocket wants us to enforce ourselves. Want a safe zone? Make one. Want to be able to clear zombies from a town and take it over? Do it. Want to trade with people? Start a trade group like I did. Want NPCs? There's a guy starting up a whitelisted server with actors and shit playing the part of NPCs.