Ndemco

Two players in same house through same router, can't connect.

My brother and I, who are in the same house on running through the same router, can't connect to the same server on DayZ without both of us getting kicked. Anyone else have this issue? And / or is there a fix for it?

To provide more detail: We both have different IP addresses but the same default gateway (obviously). We both can enter a server perfectly fine. As soon as one or the other enters the same server, the one who is currently in the server gets "no message receiver for x seconds" and the one logging into the server gets stuck at "waiting for host" and both of us are forced to leave. In essence, we both can't connect to the same server without both of us getting kicked.

We have good connection speed. Cable. We've never had a problem gaming on the same servers before with other games. 18.25mb/s download and 7mb/s upload.

Can you connect to two different servers at the same time? Again, your connection might just be too slow to run two instances.

The same server only? Sounds as though your router isn't allocating dynamic IPs correctly. Definitely a router issue.

I've had 3 people on the same router at once on the same server. Will definitely be an issue with your router.

I checked our IP's and they're both different. Do you think manually configuring our IP adresses would help?

sounds like you need to change your routers default gateway settings ( could be wrong but i had similar problem years ago with a console game Forza) but our was worse as the router we had we couldnt change those settings and had to buy a router that we could so that we both could enter the same server..

• Like 1

Cool, I'll definitely give that a try. Do you know what changes I would have to make?

Solved the problem. It wasn't a networking issue at all. When I downloaded DayZ on my brother's computer it was through my steam account. Even though he later bought DayZ on his steam account and would play through his steam account the server must have thought that two of the same people were playing. Either way, when he uninstalled DayZ and downloaded through his account, everything worked fine.

I lied. The fix worked for the night. But the next day we both tried logging into the same server and same issue appeared. Have yet to find a permanent fix. Any suggestions?

It doesn't matter that your computers have different IPs.  Those are private IPs that only exist on your network.  They are likely 192.168.x.x which is duplicated probably 500 million times in the world.  They're still connecting to the public internet via the modem which has one IP (which you can see by going to http://www.whatismyip.com/).  If you're playing on your own Steam accounts, which it sounds like you are now, then try having one of the computers connect to the internet via a proxy.  It will probably be slow and laggy, but it would immediately prove or disprove the theory about sharing a single public IP.

EDIT:  I meant have one of the computers connect to DayZ through a proxy.  Not just "the internet."  The purpose of that would be that Steam/DayZ would see the proxy IP address, as opposed to your own.  Of course, if someone else was playing Steam through the same proxy for some reason....it wouldn't work and I'm not sure that you would know whether or not that was happening.  You probably want to post this stuff on the bug forum as well!  I'm sure they have some very skilled and intelligent network professionals on the dev team who would be able to investigate.  You are not the first person to have this exact same issue, by the way.  I've seen several other posts about it on here.

Edited by WastedSpaceman

I still lean towards a routing issue; I would recommend playing with UPnP settings and the like on your device. You may even want to tinker with your network adapter settings in your OS as well. The likely scenario is that you can both send traffic to the server, which it receives, but all responses are addressed simply to your WAN gateway, and the router doesn't know which of the two clients to pass it off to. My knowledge of networking is limited enough that I don't know if port triggering would help to alleviate this issue or not (Similar yet different from port forwarding, as I *think* it keeps a seperate client table for port triggering requests, though please don't take that as fact!)

Please add -port=25007 into your DayZ launch options on one of the PC's. Right click on DayZ > General >  Set launch options. The number doesn't really matter as long as it's different from the other computers which will use 2302, 2304, 2305 by default (assuming DayZ uses the same as ArmA 2/ArmA 3)

Basically, it's an issue with NAT translation. You've got two DayZ clients on the same network routing through the same public IP address. Even though they have 2 separate private IP's, they're both using the same standard ports... Most programs will generate a dynamic source port, DayZ and ArmA don't do that so when NAT tries to translate your outgoing connections, you're NAT firewall (192.168.0.1 and some public IP) can only support one or the other.  

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 8

Please add -port=25007 into your DayZ launch options on one of the PC's. Right click on DayZ > General >  Set launch options. The number doesn't really matter as long as it's different from the other computers which will use 2302, 2304, 2305 by default (assuming DayZ uses the same as ArmA 2/ArmA 3)

Basically, it's an issue with NAT translation. You've got two DayZ clients on the same network routing through the same public IP address. Even though they have 2 separate private IP's, they're both using the same standard ports... Most programs will generate a dynamic source port, DayZ and ArmA don't do that so when NAT tries to translate your outgoing connections, you're NAT firewall (192.168.0.1 and some public IP) can only support one or the other.  

Makes perfect sense, I was overassuming about the RV engine's network handling, but nice that they still have the ability to specify ports! UPnP wouldn't do anything if both inbound and outbound requests are all using common ports, +1 for knowing the engine better than I.

• Like 1

Yep, that fixed it. This should be stickied. I'm sure a lot of other people are having this same problem and it's not exactly an obvious fix.

• Like 1

Most programs will generate a dynamic source port, DayZ and ArmA don't do that so when NAT tries to translate your outgoing connections, you're NAT firewall (192.168.0.1 and some public IP) can only support one or the other.

Are you sure Arma did this as well? I played DayZ mod with a friend on the same LAN and we never had to enter any -port startup parameters, it just simply worked.

edit: After reading it again, perhaps the issue lies with the OP's NAT firewall, and maybe my router just did not have one enabled.

Also, I hate to be nit picky but saying NAT translation is like saying NIC card (network interface card card). :P I imagine you said it just so buddy knew what you were talking about. Being in the IT profession myself, there are too many acronyms, haha. Anyways, good work. I personally had no idea what the cause was.

Edited by bonesnap

Can you connect to two different servers at the same time? Again, your connection might just be too slow to run two instances.

Did you read his post. His connection is not too slow. How much bandwidth do you think a game uses LOL.

As bad as NAT is, I would've thought that today every piece of software supported it, especially games...

One more reason to switch to v6 asap.

I know this is late on this post but, I just got this game to play with my sons and we are having same issue. My question is does this need to be done with 3 diff numbers on each pcs game?

I know this is late on this post but, I just got this game to play with my sons and we are having same issue. My question is does this need to be done with 3 diff numbers on each pcs game?

Yep. Will need to be different numbers on each PC game. Since you have multiple PC's, something else I should note, it won't actually use the port you specify, it'll use +2, +3 of that. So you could technically specify -port=2304 and it'll end up using 2306, 2307. If you specify -port=2303, it'll conflict on port 2305 so don't do that. Skip at least 3 for every computer.

Yep. Will need to be different numbers on each PC game. Since you have multiple PC's, something else I should note, it won't actually use the port you specify, it'll use +2, +3 of that. So you could technically specify -port=2304 and it'll end up using 2306, 2307. If you specify -port=2303, it'll conflict on port 2305 so don't do that. Skip at least 3 for every computer.

Thank you! this has been driving me nuts lol. I'll try this asap :) 

Edited by Cyndara