Rzach

I have an idea for helping with the KOS problem. Rocket should read.

First of all I can't find any more elegant solution to KoS myself  ( So I'd have to disagree with arificial stress / post implementation ) and with that said I agree that while PvP is not a problem, KoS mentality is.

I find it funny that the mature players are the ones usually trying to come up with some sensible solution and generally seems to agree that KoS mentality is a problem for them, whereas the younger act like they would kill IRL anyone who they don't like the look of.

Likely? Yes, probably likely but I don't believe / find that the more mature players want to koss all they long. Or is it only me seeing this kind of pattern?

Yes, PvP should be in the game. It's an essential part of the game and the experience. But unless this KoS mentality has any drawbacks, there is no reason not to do it. It's just easier to KoS. So if a karma/stress/conscience/whatever system is a no go, then give people options, like PvP and PvE servers.

To me, it's more of an issue of trying to enjoy the game I purchased. But with this constant KoS'ing, I can't. The only way to play is to adapt to playing the game the way others want me to. Because it is their OPINION that that's how the game should be. Well, my opinion and apparently hundreds of others who play is that the game should be more than that.

[edit] Please see the post below mine. That's the problem. "Just how i like to play games." Well, I like to play them differently. Do I have a choice? Not really.

Edited by jan3sobieski

Well.....i plan on killing everyone i see when i get properly acclimated to the game and get the proper gear.  if you walk your a target.  Just how i like to play games.

For people complaining about kos and saying you want a more hardcore experience. You keep forgetting one major thing about this game.

It's a sandbox game

Do what you want

If you put something in forcing people to feel the consequences of killing, that automatically will make the game worse cause you're forcing people to play a certain way that in my honest opinion is shit. I'm not saying kos all the way, kill everyone (I only kill people who are being assholes or are armed) I'm just saying the fact you keep getting killed by these kosers shows the fact that you either just bad at the game or you've been sitting in the middle of a field waiting to get shot.

I've only been killed by a player once since the release of the whole entire game and I have 50 hours in the game already. And I've only killed 9 people in self defense, maybe 3 people for silly reasons but every time I see these threads I don't get it. Do you want dayz to turn into the walking dead or something??

Oh and this thread will probs get removed for spam cause this is the second thread in the last five hours that is about kos

Yes, PvP should be in the game. It's an essential part of the game and the experience. But unless this KoS mentality has any drawbacks, there is no reason not to do it. It's just easier to KoS. So if a karma/stress/conscience/whatever system is a no go, then give people options, like PvP and PvE servers.

To me, it's more of an issue of trying to enjoy the game I purchased. But with this constant KoS'ing, I can't. The only way to play is to adapt to playing the game the way others want me to. Because it is their OPINION that that's how the game should be. Well, my opinion and apparently hundreds of others who play is that the game should be more than that.

So you're telling me the kosers told you to shoot everyone? Maybe you should play on an Australian server but I literally talked to an armed dude yesterday about random stuff (I'm armed as well) for about ten minutes. This isn't the only time this is happened.

Maybe if you don't want to kos people go to gvodzno and loot around there so then you can be safe from everyone, is that how you want to play?

OP,

Stress is an interesting idea actually, but not as a "KoS counter-measure"

What you guys have to understand about "KoS" is that DayZ takes place in a ruthless, lawless, dire post-apocalyptic setting where you can NEVER take your integrity for granted. You are responsible for your own safety out there.

Also, you really should stop this "PvP", "PvE" mentality. They are seamless aspects of one single survival simulation, not some sort of MMO features which should be "balanced"...

• Like 2

So you're telling me the kosers told you to shoot everyone? Maybe you should play on an Australian server but I literally talked to an armed dude yesterday about random stuff (I'm armed as well) for about ten minutes. This isn't the only time this is happened.

They're not telling me to shoot everyone but with the game in its current state, that's the easiest thing to do. I've been playing the game for almost two weeks now and have never run into a friendly player yet unless it was a bambi and even then they weren't friendly, they just knew they didn't have the upper hand, so they left.

Maybe if you don't want to kos people go to gvodzno and loot around there so then you can be safe from everyone...

And here you are again, telling me how I should play the game. 

They're not telling me to shoot everyone but with the game in its current state, that's the easiest thing to do.

"Easy" how? What does "easy" mean when the game has no set goal? If your goal in the game is not to be a murderer, then shooting everyone is obviously not the easiest way to achieve this. In fact, it's the easiest way to fail.

If your goal is to live as long as possible, it's also a bad idea. You actually want to avoid strangers as much as possible and stay out of sight. Constantly trying to kill people is very likely to end up with you dead, too.

If your goal is to explore, again, not a great idea to always be engaging in mortal combat.

The only game play strategy for which this method is "easy" is trying to rack up the most player kills, and since that doesn't seem to be your goal, I don't know why this is "easy" in any sense of the word.

If you really don't want to do it, just don't do it.
  • Like 2

They're not telling me to shoot everyone but with the game in its current state, that's the easiest thing to do. I've been playing the game for almost two weeks now and have never run into a friendly player yet unless it was a bambi and even then they weren't friendly, they just knew they didn't have the upper hand, so they left.

And here you are again, telling me how I should play the game.

Well stop telling people not to kill you and then we might start listening

And I was merely giving you a tip, of course

People will kill you in elektro or Cherno. That's just the nature of the place but if you go west then you might avoid that and be able to play safely away from other players.

Cause that is actually what you're asking for. Otherwise risk your chances with other people, they might turn out to be friendly

Edited by Flagella

First of all I can't find any more elegant solution to KoS myself  ( So I'd have to disagree with arificial stress / post implementation ) and with that said I agree that while PvP is not a problem, KoS mentality is.

I find it funny that the mature players are the ones usually trying to come up with some sensible solution and generally seems to agree that KoS mentality is a problem for them, whereas the younger act like they would kill IRL anyone who they don't like the look of.

Likely? Yes, probably likely but I don't believe / find that the more mature players want to koss all they long. Or is it only me seeing this kind of pattern?

its funny how people like you try to distort the issue by suggesting it has anything to do with maturity and the age of a player. stop trying to take some kind of moral high ground because your position is weak and your ideas are trash. and honestly are you trolling or just stupid? not a single idea suggested by any of the KoS whiner crowd is even remotely reasonable. every single suggestion wants the devs to completely rebuild game systems or dumb down and restrict existing ones to cater to the way you think the game should be played. the only sensible suggestion has been about improving zombie numbers and ai, which is a general consesus among most of the community that we already know is coming. but there is no "solution" to KoS because it's not a problem, it's a part of the game and how it was designed. it's what you signed up for when you bought this game, and if you think otherwise then this must be your first full loot pvp game, in which case welcome to reality. if you don't like it too bad, it's a playstyle thats inherent to a game of this type. PvP happened in a PvP game. get over it.

• Like 2

its funny how people like you try to distort the issue by suggesting it has anything to do with maturity and the age of a player. stop trying to take some kind of moral high ground because your position is weak and your ideas are trash. and honestly are you trolling or just stupid? not a single idea suggested by any of the KoS whiner crowd is even remotely reasonable. every single suggestion wants the devs to completely rebuild game systems or dumb down and restrict existing ones to cater to the way you think the game should be played. the only sensible suggestion has been about improving zombie numbers and ai, which is a general consesus among most of the community that we already know is coming. but there is no "solution" to KoS because it's not a problem, it's a part of the game and how it was designed. it's what you signed up for when you bought this game, and if you think otherwise then this must be your first full loot pvp game, in which case welcome to reality. if you don't like it too bad, it's a playstyle thats inherent to a game of this type. PvP happened in a PvP game. get over it.

THIS!!! ^^^ Case closed! Forgive me sir but I may give you only 1 can of beans.. given the option it would be many many more ;)

I don't understand why everyone argues about it so much. There are multiple ways to play this game, but right now everything leans towards PvP. There is no arguing that, the only solution is to add more zombies to balance out the PvE with the PvP. 

Anyways, if you disagree just leave the thread be. The only reason there are so many of these threads is because instead of letting them die everyone needs to put their few words onto everyone of them. This thread should have died hours ago, but instead people just keep fighting about which way the game should be played. Well let me inform you that nobody is right. This game isn't just about PvP nor is it just about PvE. It is about creating your own story

Nearly everyone of you that has complained about so many of these threads, you know what you did when you posted? You put it right back at the top of the list instead of letting it fall into the abyss of dead threads. 

There is no need to bash anyone because they want more PvE and less dying on the coast or if you just want to rid the game of zombies and play call of duty. Who really cares? Bashing one another over a game makes you all losers regardless of if you are murders(ingame) or not.

Edited by Arciere

First off, he is not taking any moral high ground. Clearly you have no idea what that even means, and lack reading comprehension, disclosing your ignorance.

Second, this game is not just a PvP game, focused on PvP. That was the mod, and rocket totally abandoned that.

THIRD, instead of bashing on this guy, you should be the mature one here, and instead of typing crap a angry 15 year old would type, you should be better than him and type like a adult.

• Like 2

First off, he is not taking any moral high ground. Clearly you have no idea what that even means, and lack reading comprehension, disclosing your ignorance.

Second, this game is not just a PvP game, focused on PvP. That was the mod, and rocket totally abandoned that.

THIRD, instead of bashing on this guy, you should be the mature one here, and instead of typing crap a angry 15 year old would type, you should be better than him and type like a adult.

actually i do know what it means and the use of the phrase there is fine in that context, as well as my reading comprehension. yours on the otherhand you might want to check since you did nothing but prove my point with your post.

I don't see an issue with KOS. I'm sure the dev crew have more important tasks to deal with.

• Like 2

Again, KoS is not a community problem, its YOUR problem. Learn to avoid people or become a cold hard killer like the majority of us

1342003129969.gif

Saw the title, read the first line...

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 2

I think empathy is overrated when you look at certain parts of our globe where poverty, starvation and violence is rife. Life is very cheap in certain countries and although we as westerners would probably be pretty supportive of each other at the start of the outbreak I think once we'd settled on our own little packs we would quite happily pillage and kill others.

Look at Rwanda, the Khmer Rouge, Serbia, Bosnia etc. Power and survival.

The case of R v Dudley and Stephens 1884 springs to mind - shipwrecked and starving at sea Dudley and two others decided to slit the throat of their colleague Parker so they could eat him.  As Dudley later commented:

"I can assure you I shall never forget the sight of my two unfortunate companions over that ghastly meal we all was like mad wolfs who should get the most and for men fathers of children to commit such a deed we could not have our right reason."

I think you have to stop judging things through your current circumstances - yes I know there is plenty of research out there that suggests the extreme reluctance of soldiers to kill but then you hear accounts of soldiers killing again and again so they can survive.

If I ended up in a DayZ world I would not be surprised at all if  some if not most  packs of survivors resorted to a KOS mentality. Wouldn't be straight away but I reckon it would not be long in coming.

Also.not all anti-depressants have a sedating effect and most people would have no idea how to medicate themselves safely on them.

• Like 1

for me, this is a coop PvE game. i play cooperatively with those who are friendly, and treat those who try to kill me on the same level as the infected: as part of a hostile environment.

AM I DOING IT WRONG?

HmT5B3P.jpg

• Like 1

With the current player mentality in the game it is not the zombies that wipe out the human race it is the remaining people who kill each other off rather than banding together to reform some sort of society... but to be fair there is not much else to do yet so player killing in the only real end game thing to do.

• Like 1

The only viable "solution" to the "kos problem" is to drive the bawlers and moaners off the game. 

Can you please show me where does the Rocket himself says the game is designed for "hardcore players who...."  ?

Because if you can't then you're just pulling $hit out of your a$$. You're saying that because that's what YOU WANT the game to be.

I don't see myself making threads encouraging changes to fit my style of play.  Know why?  Because my style of play works perfectly fine, I've killed around seven players today and all my gear is intact. 

The majority of the carebear advocates who want a PVE server or punishment for bandit play simply want to be able to loot easier at military installations, so they can turn around in different public hive servers and kill other players.

I think the problem will get alot better when they finish implimenting item durability.

Ruined clothes and backpacks?  Expect stuff to fall out of your pockets over time!

Ruined food?  Obviously cant eat it... maybe a hit to to % of contents if you can and a chance of sickness since a bullet's gone thru it...

Ruined Water bottles?  Cant hold water.

Ruined bandages,  vitamins, tools,  can all still be used currently despite the fact they are ruined.

When this changes - so will peoples behaviour.   When the end result of purely shooting on site is a corpse full of pretty, but absolutely worthless loot,  so will the # of instances of shooting on sight.

Then all thats needed is some more functionality and features to how players interact with eachother (Trading, parties, more options once you've surrendered and are cuffed...  perhaps allow for an agreement to be made for release,  like XYZ items in exchange for 30seconds for them to flee....  )

:D

Until there is a need for players to interact to achieve some common goal, it's always going to be KOS.

Cry more please.

Or just wait until you can have custom servers where all you softcore pussies can sing songs around a campfire, without fear from 'bad men with guns'; and just simply worry about boringly predictable AI Z's.

I think you're missing the point, judging by your intelligent response (that's sarcasm) what Im about to say will probably go over your head anyway BUT while I agree KoS shouldnt be removed etc, there's a reason there are handcuffs etc in the game now. Hopefully devs stay the course and make it where ruined items are essentially worthless, thus when you light up that guy walking down the road thats unarmed all the loot etc you would actually need to survive would be ruined. Dayz isn't supposed to be COD with zombies, but its not supposed to be WoW PVE servers either. 

Edited by Sickerthansars