unicornsmustdie

Mosin or M4? Consider upcoming changes to game

Your aim suck that may be it. I always manage to get one shot kills or downs. While the M4 on the other hand has jumps over the place even zeroed in at 100 and 50.

I hit him on the shoulder while he was giving me the side. So yeah.

Contributing to the Mosin fact, i always only got 1 hit kills in the chest, but of course it also depends on the blood/health level of the player you're shooting at.

SA central says it's a 2hit kill @ chest.

I saw another oldie Russian rifle, the SKS, is announced/confirmed(?). How would that hold up, could that be seen as an 'in between' weapon that bridges the M4 and the Mosin?

The SKS is a great bridge.  In its real-world form (i own one) it holds 11 rounds, semi-auto gas recoil, but a different round from the Mosin.  The M91 is 7.62x54, the SKS is 7.62x39 (same as the AK47) thus slightly less powerful. Both have lower muzzle velocity than 556, but the .308 slug on 7.62 has better man-stopping power.

Again, in terms of the 'real world', the SKS comes standard with a collapsible bayonette. It can also be modified with a muzzle attachment to be a grenade launcher, and there's a receiver cover modification for a scope (i have both). Personally, I feel the game has a lot of disrespect for the accuracy of the M4, and in real world terms it would be a more accurate weapon than an SKS, but not as survivable.  The SKS is similar to the AK47 in that it has loose tolerances that allow it to operate under extreme levels of abuse. If this game were modeled after real life A 7.62x39 ammunition would be far more plentiful B the M4 would be finicky without maintenance and C the SKS would have an attached bayonette.  Found alone with no additional parts, the SKS would be a great workhorse.

I digress.  Between the Mosin and the M4, the M4 satisfies more issues in the game's current state.  There's no deer hunting, and most player interactions occur in close quarters.  I'd take the M4 because in a firefight the Mosin has to be manually rechambered between shots, in which time the M4 can hose an entire 30-rnd clip.

Edited by Mr Jizz
  • Like 2

The SKS is a great bridge.  In its real-world form (i own one) it holds 11 rounds, semi-auto gas recoil, but a different round from the Mosin.  The M91 is 7.62x54, the SKS is 7.62x39 (same as the AK47) thus slightly less powerful. Both have lower muzzle velocity than 556, but the .308 slug on 7.62 has better man-stopping power.

Again, in terms of the 'real world', the SKS comes standard with a collapsible bayonette. It can also be modified with a muzzle attachment to be a grenade launcher, and there's a receiver cover modification for a scope (i have both). Personally, I feel the game has a lot of disrespect for the accuracy of the M4, and in real world terms it would be a more accurate weapon than an SKS, but not as survivable.  The SKS is similar to the AK47 in that it has loose tolerances that allow it to operate under extreme levels of abuse. If this game were modeled after real life (A) 7.62x39 ammunition would be far more plentiful ( B) the M4 would be finicky without maintenance and © the SKS would have an attached bayonette.  Found alone with no additional parts, the SKS would be a great workhorse.

I digress.  Between the Mosin and the M4, the M4 satisfies more issues in the game's current state.  There's no deer hunting, and most player interactions occur in close quarters.  I'd take the M4 because in a firefight the Mosin has to be manually rechambered between shots, in which time the M4 can hose an entire 30-rnd clip.

And how many M4s could be found on a Ukranian or Russian map such as this irl?

And how many M4s could be found on a Ukranian or Russian map such as this irl?

Plenty considering the USMC was there fighting in the civil war according to "lore".

Anyway I really like both weapons, but go with the M4 for right now. I enjoy the Acog. When other weapons get added though I would take an M14 or CZ550 any day over both. My hope is that one day I can have a CZ or M14 and a bow/cross bow. I just hope I can at least get an Acog on the M14. Will be hard to decide if I can't get both. I really like both pistols too. I have had way more kills with the .45 though. Once you get some mags for it then you are good to go. 3-4 mags is perfect.

Plenty considering the USMC was there fighting in the civil war according to "lore".

I don't know what you mean. What is LORE?

I've never heard of any Russian civil wars man or Ukranian for that matter

Edited by Highlander007

The game has a story, that the USMC was fighting in Chernarus when the plague broke out. This is why there are western military weapons in the game, like the M4 and FN-NAL (hopefully), and the background story of a game and it's world is called 'the lore'.

To answer the question, right now a Moisin with a .45 in my pants. Really looking forward to the SKS the most though, love me a good scout rifle.

Edited by jfood

The game has a story, that the USMC was fighting in Chernarus when the plague broke out. This is why there are western military weapons in the game, like the M4 and FN-NAL (hopefully), and the background story of a game and it's world is called 'the lore'.

To answer the question, right now a Moisin with a .45 in my pants. Really looking forward to the SKS the most though, love me a good scout rifle.

Alright...

For living off of the land, playing solo: any gun with working suppressors. Silence is golden. PVP is almost always about who sees who first, and that often starts with who hears who first. Even if it isn't your aim, it's someone's, so be silent and deadly. Killing animals is a bit easier when you can take them out with a suppressed weapon without alerting other players/zeds, rather than chasing them down with an axe. For me, for that motive: suppressed weapons and a ghillie suit (when they're in). Animal hunting/gutting will be important once the map is finished, I think, because with the look of the areas up north that haven't been developed, I think it's going to be a lot busier up there once those cities are populated with buildings and loot. Right now it's very quiet and peaceful.

Both guns use super sonic ammo. Putting a suppressor on it would not make it "silent," even if they were using sub sonic ammo.

• Like 1

The other guy answered it but just wanted to add in you have never heard of Chernarus either :thumbsup:

If it's for hunting I'll just club the damn thing to death with a baseball bat if I have to.

For self defence purposes well. It all depends really.. but for all round purposes I'd say M4 at this stage. Playing in a group of 2-5 ppl we usually try to have at least one scoped mosin in the bunch though. Means we can put plenty of rounds downrange but at the same time also 'reach out and touch someone'.

The other guy answered it but just wanted to add in you have never heard of Chernarus either :thumbsup:

Dayz Sa, the first Dayz I've played

Edited by Highlander007

M4 based on utility, I like to have a lot of bullets at my disposal very quickly. However with my current character I'm running a Mosin and revolver in a chest holster just for fun.

Mosin anyday of the week, its one shot kill and accurate unlike the m4 that requires lots of shots to kill and very inaccurate. 

Common misconception, it will only one hit kill if you get a heart or head shot or they are already low. While I do use the mosin its not a one shot kill all the time as everyone says. But theres no doubt it does way more then the m4