unicornsmustdie

Mosin or M4? Consider upcoming changes to game

hi,

my first post here, I checked the forum for any similar discussion on this, but couldn't find it in light of recent update from the devs. They write their focus will have a.o. the following:

Animals & hunting
Cooking & gathering resources
Playable user customizable vehicles
Player created constructions in the environment

So, assuming your not in the game to KOS everybody else, but instead want to mind your own business and live off the land like I do, which gun would you prefer (include loadout too pls and possibly in combination with announced side arms) if hunting does become an option soon.

I carry the M4 but do so mostly to fend off other players (which is what's driven me into the woods more or less).

thanks!

Mosin anyday of the week, its one shot kill and accurate unlike the m4 that requires lots of shots to kill and very inaccurate. 

• Like 4

For me it is if they somehow would limit unlimited stamina and running of players then I would take mosin over m4 anyday..

But as it is for now, to hit running/sprinting target I need automatic gun.

Mosin anyday of the week, its one shot kill

Many times I needed 2-3 shots to kill with mosin, in chest. From 5 meters. Newspawns with only shirts.

Maybe mosin was stealth nerfed or something.

Edited by Frosti

I love my scoped Mosin - Magnum combination. If i get cornered, the Magnum works just fine, and i use the Mosin for the rest. It will be fine for hunting, too. 

Even if they add more guns, i'll probably stick to this combo. Maybe i'll swap the Magnum for a silenced pistol, we'll see.

Edited by Greaves

I use the m4.

Bipod, acog and MagPul pristine mods make it suitable for engages at a decent distance.

True, in fact I have the magpul buttstock and bipod and ACOG scope. I read somewhere though that the ACOG doesn't zoom as it's supposed to? For hunting I would say the long range scope would be a plus.

For living off of the land, playing solo: any gun with working suppressors. Silence is golden. PVP is almost always about who sees who first, and that often starts with who hears who first. Even if it isn't your aim, it's someone's, so be silent and deadly. Killing animals is a bit easier when you can take them out with a suppressed weapon without alerting other players/zeds, rather than chasing them down with an axe. For me, for that motive: suppressed weapons and a ghillie suit (when they're in). Animal hunting/gutting will be important once the map is finished, I think, because with the look of the areas up north that haven't been developed, I think it's going to be a lot busier up there once those cities are populated with buildings and loot. Right now it's very quiet and peaceful.

• Like 3

I love my scoped Mosin - Magnum combination. If i get cornered, the Magnum works just fine, and i use the Mosin for the rest. It will be fine for hunting, too. 

Even if they add more guns, i'll probably stick to this combo. Maybe i'll swap the Magnum for a silenced pistol, we'll see.

I think I would agree. I just have spent a full 10 days (that's how long I haven't been killed more or less) on building my M4 platform with all pristine parts, even the RIS hand guard. Have the silencer and bajonet too but don't use them (the bajonet when attached sticks out like a sore thumb in the woods).

Im in a simple tag team, and we have everything figured out. I'm up in the treeline providing cover fire for my partner on the ground. He carries a beautiful m4. With this system, he can help new-spawns, and not have to worry about someone sneaking up on him.

Yes were Hero/bandits, a little contradictory, we like to cuff, and take prisoners for blood bags.

For living off of the land, playing solo: any gun with working suppressors. Silence is golden. PVP is almost always about who sees who first, and that often starts with who hears who first. Even if it isn't your aim, it's someone's, so be silent and deadly. Killing animals is a bit easier when you can take them out with a suppressed weapon without alerting other players/zeds, rather than chasing them down with an axe. For me, for that motive: suppressed weapons and a ghillie suit (when they're in). Animal hunting/gutting will be important once the map is finished, I think, because with the look of the areas up north that haven't been developed, I think it's going to be a lot busier up there once those cities are populated with buildings and loot. Right now it's very quiet and peaceful.

I hope they leave it unbuilt to be honest, or at least leave some wide open space. The north now feels like a real rugged, hostile but at the same time safe place. I get paranoid down south. Can't wait to build a small camp site and store (I heard in the mod they had tents where you could store 50 items on the same server as long as you checked in once every 7 days, that would be perfect. In fact I've seen the tents (not enterable) in some of the tent camps outside NW airfield and south of Balota airfield.

If I can chop wood, make my own fire, cook my water and purify in some other crafted way without the need for tablets, hunt a rabbit and dress it and cook it, I'd only pop down for ammo and books or shirts (to start your fire, good luck with a log and a match).

I hope they leave it unbuilt to be honest, or at least leave some wide open space. The north now feels like a real rugged, hostile but at the same time safe place. I get paranoid down south. Can't wait to build a small camp site and store (I heard in the mod they had tents where you could store 50 items on the same server as long as you checked in once every 7 days, that would be perfect. In fact I've seen the tents (not enterable) in some of the tent camps outside NW airfield and south of Balota airfield.

If I can chop wood, make my own fire, cook my water and purify in some other crafted way without the need for tablets, hunt a rabbit and dress it and cook it, I'd only pop down for ammo and books or shirts (to start your fire, good luck with a log and a match).

Well, as you travel around up there you will notice all of the roads, intersections, and concrete pads that are clearly place markers for towns, villages, and buildings, as well as the buildings that are already there. I have no doubt that more are coming. That said, there will always be areas to find to place a tent, and some peace and quiet. Maybe. Then we'll get to see about these roaming zeds and hordes.

The tents, if like in the mod, will be placeable item that you can stow under a tree, for example (though I can't tell you how many I lost by trying to get them too deep into a pine), which will make it hard for other players to find.  I would say "impossible" but I had a spot on the mod both in public hive on a very busy server and some private hives that were never discovered. In the mod they are camo, too. I'd bet that is still going to be possible. The game is still going to be a deathmatch for many players, who will hug the coast. Bases, team play/pvp, and solo survivalists will be most of what is up north, I think.

Edited by Fukkit

Depending on my play style ill usually take the Mosin over the M4.  Its the ultimate Combat logger killer.  When im planning on killing someone,  I like for it o be quick, less time for cowards to alt f4.  The mosin is usually and most all ways for me a one hit kill to the chest at any range.  Some people have had problems with it not being a one hit kill.  As for me ive not really had that problem.  

For the mosin to be an affective choice as your main rifle, you need to carry a sidearm.  I prefer the Magnum right now.  Because you cant see  the condition of your gun, choosing the FNX is a hit or miss.  If the FNX is not in good condtion, the accuracy is god awful.  not really had to big pf a problem with the magnum.

There are no weapon conditions at the Moment so it is absolute indifferent any fx is spraying a Lot the Magnum is a Little Bit More acurrate And the m4 is like real life its an American weapon so what do You expect its an unprecisios Mass product, so when there Would ne German weapons Like g36 or g22 they Would schuld perfectly acurrate that Would be very realistic, i shoot myself at my Time at the Bundeswehr with These weapons And they where very very acurrate in Real Life ;)

Hit a guy in the shoulder from the side at 200m.

Not even unconscious, just bleeding.

Mosin is NOT 1hk.

Edited by iRazgriz
  • Like 1

I have now mosin which i got from some fresh spawn muggers and it is pretty random when it come to damage , sometimes you need 3 shots per survivor 

Stop all this KOS whining. There are dicks and psychos and shitty people in real life. Why would zombie apocalypse in game be different? No law. If you want people to stop kos - then form a fucking POLICE DEPRATMENT and monitor the server and punish the ones you don't like. shesh this kos talk is stupid. 

+ Mosins are to many. Hit to the living blocks, you can find about 10-15 mosins in one square 1km

Stop all this KOS whining. There are dicks and psychos and shitty people in real life. Why would zombie apocalypse in game be different? No law. If you want people to stop kos - then form a fucking POLICE DEPRATMENT and monitor the server and punish the ones you don't like. shesh this kos talk is stupid.

+ Mosins are to many. Hit to the living blocks, you can find about 10-15 mosins in one square 1km

I don't understand what you're on about.

And, good luck finding all those mosins together.

I think we need to include guns, that will be supposedly added, so here I come.

I would love to go with:

primary - crossbow with some scope.  Silent, should kill in bolt or max two, reuse of bolts should be possible, or even craft some. Super cool for hunting deer.

secondary - some 9mm pistol should be ok, maybe Glock or CZ75, some with more then 10 bullets in magazine. Ammo should be findable in civilian buildings too.

At the moment:

Mosin + hunting scope

Magnum .357

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

Hit a guy in the shoulder from the side at 200m.

Not even unconscious, just bleeding.

Mosin is NOT 1hk.

Your aim suck that may be it. I always manage to get one shot kills or downs. While the M4 on the other hand has jumps over the place even zeroed in at 100 and 50.

I saw another oldie Russian rifle, the SKS, is announced/confirmed(?). How would that hold up, could that be seen as an 'in between' weapon that bridges the M4 and the Mosin?

True, in fact I have the magpul buttstock and bipod and ACOG scope. I read somewhere though that the ACOG doesn't zoom as it's supposed to? For hunting I would say the long range scope would be a plus.

The PU scope on the Mosin has the same problem. The description says that it magnified 3.5x but in the game, it's 1.39x.

• Like 2

The M4 would be better for living off the land because it's quieter and you can carry more ammo for it.

The Mosin is the superior player killing weapon, despite this whole idea that bandits only carry M4s and 'friendlies' only carry Mosins.

As the game changes and weapons are added, I don't want either weapon. I miss the AK variants and the M14/FAL. Once those things are added I'll drop the M4 in the forest and never look back.

• Like 1