Sign in to follow this  
kruger287

So I thought this may be cool

Black Powder Rifles

I know this will be shot down faster than a clay pigeon at a elitist target shoot, BUT I wanted to voice my opinions

on why and how this would be a neat thing for Dayz.

Know i have seen threads about reloading brass and all that on these forums and think wow that's a great idea

and people have voiced there opinion on it so that's why i want this thread to be made I WANT to see the opinions of the community. Now with hunting and such being a thing in the future of the game and the whole going back to basics game attitude i think these items would go hand in hand!

Infact I have heard  in russia they have tons of Black powder rifles on display in museums and im sure that people could also have collected these rifles or even made them in their spare time and as this game world is Russian-esque it will make a great fit and isn't to far fetched in my eyes.

Now i am American and am not sure of what is legal in hunting terms in Europe and the like but i would love to see this happen. Now onto the meat of this subject!!

Manufacture of black powder:

Black powder in reality is simple to make but requires a great deal of perfecting to get right. BUT thats why we play games am i right to break the boundaries of what reality is and have fun.

Recipes can be found for it all on the internet and the likes and the ingredients arent hard to come by.

Usually black powder is a mixture of saltpeter, sulfur and charcoal. Also a black powder without any sulfur yields good results and produces even less smoke. A reasonable recipe is a mix of:

100 parts of saltpeter,
18 parts of charcoal, and (Parts given by weight)
16 parts of sulfur

If you want to make a powder without sulfur, then mix

100 parts of saltpeter and
24 parts of charcoal.

Now if we can find medicines and weapons and all that good stuff around the wasteland we can find ingredients

In fact we could use the already existence of the charcoal tabs in game to fill the role of the charcoal in the ingredients.(Yes i know its not the same but its also a game so we can make it work) and that means that would have 2 uses in game.

A lot of people also talked about making lead shot for rifles to reload old cases in game that's a neat idea and

that's what i'm talking about next. We can mould our own balls for shooting in these black powder rifles in fact i think i read in a history book that soldiers would reuse shot balls and just melt and remould them (correct me if i'm wrong) But once again its a game you can do what you want this isn't reality so you can skimp on the details.

I mean in what world does morphine heal broken legs :)

Now Many people will shout nay and say that this has no place in Dayz but that will not stop me from voicing y opinion and suggesting things i would like to see in Dayz but in closing If people can ask for helicopters and hi end military gear then myself and others can ask for this. Its not a farfetched idea and i think it suits the survivalist nature of the game quite well but its a suggestion and this is a forum and i am prepared for the naysayers and the supporters alike. And by all means post more to add to this i want facts and the like to fill this thread.

This is Kruger287 saying let the discussion begin!

Edited by Kruger287
  • Like 2

While I like the idea (realism baby!), my initial thought was that it would get ignored in a game with modern ARs. Just my opinion however!

I would rather black powder weapons and all that goes with that than high end military stuff. I would want to be able to pick my 'lucky' ball out of peoples foreheads though.

Edited by Hetstaine
  • Like 1

While I like the idea (realism baby!), my initial thought was that it would get ignored in a game with modern ARs. Just my opinion however!

Yeah a lot of people would skip over it but of course i want it more of a hunting thing as you would waste less of your rounds for defense and of course you could pvp with it if you wanted but it would be a primary hunting tool.

Edited by Kruger287

They actually sell 'modern' black powder rifles, here in Hawaii you can buy them without a gun license.  I'm all for more (civilian) guns.  I can see a few non pvpers like myself using the 'low end' guns and black powder rifles simply because the rarer military weapons will be more sought after.  I mean hell if I can make my own ammo out of junk all the better.

• Like 1

Also i was thinking does anyone have a nice way in which to obtain lead a place where it could be found to then smelt?

You don't necessarily need lead, it is just the easiest to work with and pliable. You can find lead as the tire balance on rims of vehicles(I collected enough found lying in the road along a busy street in one day to make about 10-20 bullets), in hospitals for the x-ray shielding, dentist offices too. Depending on the factory some equipment uses lead shielding, some university labs would have the same for their equipment. Fish and tackle stores, outdoor supply stores in the fishing department, some boat anchors. Places where you can find pewter, most now a days are going to a lead free pewter but some still offer it with lead in it, and pewter wouldn't be too bad of an alternative.

You don't necessarily need lead, it is just the easiest to work with and pliable. You can find lead as the tire balance on rims of vehicles(I collected enough found lying in the road along a busy street in one day to make about 10-20 bullets), in hospitals for the x-ray shielding, dentist offices too. Depending on the factory some equipment uses lead shielding, some university labs would have the same for their equipment. Fish and tackle stores, outdoor supply stores in the fishing department, some boat anchors. Places where you can find pewter, most now a days are going to a lead free pewter but some still offer it with lead in it, and pewter wouldn't be too bad of an alternative.

Wow I did not even think about all that ty for adding to this thread man!

cant see why these sorts of weapons couldnt be included i mean people do collect these things my mate chris (who is still in the military long after i left ) collects them he doesnt even own a modern gun.

They are quite interesting to fire though maybe i suck but i had a try at a 6 shooter the ones from just before self contained bullets where you had to black powder and stuff each chamer etc and my god i had to aim very low as well the kick was huge and there was like a delay before it fired ( again maybe just me i am no expert on the use of them) i struggled to hit targets 25m from me and i am a semi decent shot with my guns lol .

I would love and laugh my ass off when someone steps from the bushes playing an old fashioned highway man singing stand and deliver but maybe i am warped....

If we are having BP rifles then i want to see these bad boys in.

Colt 1860 (44 cal, 6 shots, cartridge conversions available)

gunx_colt_1860.jpg

Remington 1858 (44 cal, swap-able cylinders, 6 shots, cartridge conversions available)

1858RemingtonNARevolver.jpg

Colt 1851 (36 cal, 6 shots, cartridge conversions available)

colt-1851-NAVY-A.jpg

Edit, it'd be cool to be able to spin them in game.

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 2

gunx_colt_1860.jpg

Remington 1858 (44 cal, swap-able cylinders, 6 shots, cartridge conversions available)

colt-1851-NAVY-A.jpg

Awww yes that is nice

Put suggestions in the suggestion thread

How do i move a thread (sorry didn't look for a suggestion thread)

How do i move a thread (sorry didn't look for a suggestion thread)

Try reporting the first post and asking for it to be moved.

gunx_colt_1860.jpg

colt-1851-NAVY-A.jpg

precisely what i was talking about you have my beans ill give you more if you can tell me how to actually be accurate enough with them to replicate the feats of the old western movies LOL seriously i was more likely to shoot myself than  the wide side of a barn when i had a crack at using one i felt stupid LOL.....

Edited by SoulFirez

Man I didn't expect to get this many replies lets not stop there lets get a whole lot more opinions!

precisely what i was talking about you have my beans ill give you more if you can tell me how to actually be accurate enough with them to replicate the feats of the old western movies LOL seriously i was more likely to shoot myself than  the wide side of a barn when i had a crack at using one i felt stupid LOL.....

IIRC the sights on the colt 1860 were set from the factory to 75 yards. Yes, that's right, 75 yards. the hammer on the colt 1860 is the rear sight when cocked and other than that it is just basic single action revolver skills. They were really .45 caliber so 44 cal balls wouldn't work that well. The sights on them aren't that great but you can hit a target out to 75 if you do your part.

Here is Hickok45 playing around with a Rem 1858

Edited by Dchil

Can't Beleive this died so soon. was hoping for a big discussion :(

Thanks for the input tho guys!

It's not really set in Russia

Well like i said in the top post tho its Russian-esque setting

Wouldn't say it's dead, and honestly, Dean rarely comes to these forums anymore...

Yeah i have came to terms with that :( for dean to comment on a post by me would make my gush like a little fanboy lol

Still a chance it'll be seen or reposted to someone in power.  Just have to hope it doesn't get lost in the 'u gaiz shud mak plaur zombie wen dey git bet bye zombi' posts.

God mike I hope this gets passed on to higher ups that would amazing