scaramoosh

I just don't find item decay fun...

Right now you can shot someone in the head and suddenly everything on them is randomly damaged. Items decay for no reason, it really makes no sense for a lot of the items to ever get damaged unless you've been alive for 80 days or something. I've got a pair of boots I've walked 9 miles every day for the past few years and they're only now starting to show signs that I'm probably going to need to replace them. Why do my clothes randomly just fall off me? Again most of the clothes you find are really heavy duty, I've got like 15 year old coats I wear and am never going to replace them. I can understand if I got hacked up by an axe, however I'm probably going to die from one blow of that any ways. 

It is a feature that really makes no logical sense to have for most items, it isn't even fun to look for clothes and why do tins even bother getting damaged? I can understand druit and stuff becoming rotten, however it is always rotten, I haven't seen a good one yet... so what is the point really? Fruit takes weeks to rot and yet according to the game it's like 30 mins. 

I can understand stuff like guns jamming (which they don't) and needing cleaning (which you cannot) and I can understand having guns which require less maintenance like the AK47 would be a cool feature. However having general damage like being shot and for some reason every time attachments and scopes break...... just isn't fun. Why is this even in before it is finished to work properly? If it cannot ever work that precise, then don't bother having it in the game.

Things should decay, I'm all for that, however currently it is just something that is so broken it should be disabled. 

At this point all my friends have just gone back to the mod, I know it's an alpha and all that, however I didn't expect the game to made no steps forward and 100 back. The network stuff doesn't even seem to be of any improvement, in fact stuff like white listed servers fixed more problems than the SA has and all this new network stuff shows for it is loot and zombie problems and recently I've been getting a lot of lag too. 

Well considering the unpredictable nature of the item damage system is clearly a bug at this point in time, I'm not entirely sure what else to say about your post...

• Like 1

As of now, the degrading feature isn't a huge "feature". However, they've laid the backbone and once more clothing items make it into the game, it'll mean a lot more. The general idea is that if you are wearing a military helmet, it will protect you from headshots better than a beanie. Be patient, when the system is working as it should, it will make swapping out clothes a much bigger deal when it comes to survival (and realism).

Edited by Resin_

Also a lot of the wording in your post indicates you don't fully understand the alpha test concept, especially the last sentence.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 1

I'm confident they govern the "decay" and "damage" factors by some global values.

Perhaps they have it set too high. When you get shot, they could turn down the damage to items.

It IS annoying, but realistic. I agree, however, that it is a little much currently.

damn alpha!

Its a bit early to say its broken...its not even finished lol. I think another motivation is, if gear degrades, then you will have to go out and find more over time. So instead of saying "wohoo i got everything....il never venture out of the trees again" its more "oh crap i need a new hoodie/pants/gun" That way the endgame is a constant struggle. Not like in the mod :)

• Like 2

I imagine if you sleep out in the elements, you're constantly running through trees and bushes, you're bleeding on your clothes and such... then stuff is gonna ruin a lot quicker than a 9 mile jog on the sidewalk a day. That being said, yeah, there is some elements that need a lot attention on this front. But, let us not compare apples and oranges.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have to sleep in your clothes for weeks at a time like a hobo.

• Like 2

Wait until it actually starts to matter.

Right now the item decay doesn't mean anything in terms of gameplay (with the exception of magazines I think?)

With that said, I completely disagree. It means that even if you find a can opener, you'll still be excited when you find another one that says "Pristine".. When you find a bunch of military gear, you may still want to risk life and limb to check out high risk areas to swap out your "badly damaged" buttstock for a perfect one.

Then you have the killing on sight mentality.. once the damage system is perfected and the degradation of items actually matter, we may see less of "Hey what's that moving over there?" - "who cares? shoot it."

Honestly, the item decay mechanic is one of the best, if not THE best feature they have implemented into the game. Kudos to whoever thought of it!

• Like 1

that was a confusing post to read. obligatory alpha statement, the mechanic you don't like isn't finished yet. 

i like the idea of all items degrading

Its a bit early to say its broken...its not even finished lol. I think another motivation is, if gear degrades, then you will have to go out and find more over time. So instead of saying "wohoo i got everything....il never venture out of the trees again" its more "oh crap i need a new hoodie/pants/gun" That way the endgame is a constant struggle. Not like in the mod :)

this is why. 

along with: 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have to sleep in your clothes for weeks at a time like a hobo.

wear and tear takes a bigger toll when you're actually putting your clothes under stress. 

i'm looking forward to the necessary tweaking and proper implementation of the item system, at the moment ruined items are still usable, which is not good. However when it is finished it should make the game last a lot longer for everyone who isn't playing Deathmatch down south.

• Like 2

Remember when item damage was supposed to fix kos. 

That was hilarious. 

Now I shoot you in the head and your water purification tablets gets damaged. Big feature we have now. Game changer #1

How is that a fair criticism? 90% of the item damage doesn't even work... not only that, there are still about 900+ items that aren't even in the game yet.

At the moment, I don't feel bad when I shoot up someone at the NWAF because there is literally no way he has something I want or need. Nothing related to crafting, hunting or medical supplies because at the moment, no one in the game actually needs that stuff (or it's not implemented yet).

Remember when item damage was supposed to fix kos. 

That was hilarious. 

Now I shoot you in the head and your water purification tablets gets damaged. Big feature we have now. Game changer #1

Jesus...I will not insult you I promise.

But jesus....I would like to assume that its obvious that the details of the item damage system will get fixed and worked out as they progress. When it's working, it should give people hesitation to SoS. Why are you complaining about it not working at the moment exactly? Sarcasm and bratty attitude towards their game isn't very productive or meaningful.

• Like 2

I get thats sarcastic now.....but it could be quite funny when its all finished, working well, and you could actually copy paste the sarcy version as a serious post lol :)

I don't think disabling something because it's not perfect is the right way to go about it. We have to test these things and figure out what exactly is broken about it, and how we can fix it. Wait until they've patched it(this feature) a few times. If this is ruining your game experience, stop playing the alpha. As a tester you have to be ready for game ruining bugs, it comes with the territory.

How is that a fair criticism? 90% of the item damage doesn't even work... not only that, there are still about 900+ items that aren't even in the game yet.

At the moment, I don't feel bad when I shoot up someone at the NWAF because there is literally no way he has something I want or need. Nothing related to crafting, hunting or medical supplies because at the moment, no one in the game actually needs that stuff (or it's not implemented yet).

Jesus...I will not insult you I promise.

But jesus....I would like to assume that its obvious that the details of the item damage system will get fixed and worked out as they progress. When it's working, it should give people hesitation to SoS. Why are you complaining about it not working at the moment exactly? Sarcasm and bratty attitude towards their game isn't very productive or meaningful.

If it it works or doesn't will not impact kos at all. It's an interesting feature but not one that will change kos. In dayz gear = your character. So if you try to hold someone up for their gear they are going to laugh and try to kill you because they have 2 options (actually 3)

1) Give you their gear. Now they are like a new spawn

2) Fight you and most likely die. Now they are a new spawn

(3) Alt-F4: way to go, now they are both alive and they have their gear. (why a combat timer isn't in place yet defies me)

Not to mention that a large number of kos happens on the coast against unarmed players. so unless the whole community obtains a phobia of broken flash lights and damaged jeans then kos isn't going anywhere.

Wake up people. 

(and excuse me for my bratty attitude but when the devs focused on an item degradation system and a remodeled compass before hackers and combat loggers, I tend to get frustrated) 

Edited by xX_fr0st-w0lf_Xx

^ I have to guess that BIS has different dude to write their netcode and modeling their compasses  ;)

Edited by csharp
  • Like 1

I KOS all the time now tbh. Have done for the past 8 months.

I played the first 3 months of the mod only engaging with immediate threats, i used to be a nice guy who would give others the benefit of the doubt. Truth is you always get double crossed on a long enough timescale.

I think about it like this; if i dont kill them, they will gear up and become a threat to me. Prove me wrong. Being a bandit who keeps out of sight and knows the value of patience is the only way to survive.

If it it works or doesn't will not impact kos at all. It's an interesting feature but not one that will change kos. In dayz gear = your character. So if you try to hold someone up for their gear they are going to laugh and try to kill you because they have 2 options (actually 3)

(3) Alt-F4: way to go, now they are both alive and they have their gear. (why a combat timer isn't in place yet defies me)

Not to mention that a large number of kos happens on the coast against unarmed players. so unless the whole community obtains a phobia of broken flash lights and damaged jeans then kos isn't going anywhere.

Wake up people. 

(and excuse me for my bratty attitude but when the devs focused on an item degradation system and a remodeled compass before hackers and combat loggers, I tend to get frustrated) 

There will be other factors besides gear to think about for the victim. If getting the health status is a lot harder #, hen loosing some gear to a robber might be preferable to loosing that status. Then theres the....they wont be able to take all your gear so you might escape with some stuff. Also when stamina comes in, you may want to survive the encounter regardless of gear, just for the map progresion. 

Item degridation will help....but only when we have super rare items. So say you see a guy with a very....very rare gun. You might not want to Kos....you may want one of only 6 of those guns across the public hive. Shooting wont be an option, as you wont want to ruin it and have it go back into the loot tables. Same with any super rare loot.

Kos will always be there, but item degridation has huge potential to encourage robbery over kos. But it wont be item degridation alone....it will be that combined with zombie threat and loot spawns. Think if they added 20 or 30 junk items to the loot tables now. Suddenly your chances of a weapon or ammo go right down.  

Thank god you aren't developing this game then. Also you are a KoSer as I have seen in various other posts so OF COURSE you don't like item degradation. You don't want to be punished for spraying.

I cant wait till shit doesn't work after being ruined. 

Wake up people. 

I see what you're saying. I would say "holding someone up" takes skill and practice. If you can get the jump on someone, you can usually hold them up.

> I usually peek around corners in 3rd person, tell'em to drop their weapon, and then move in once they've dropped it. Sometimes a bit more complex than that. It takes practice, but I do it so I can get good "quality" gear instead of ruined gear.

> Combat logging will be dealt with in the coming weeks/months, so we won't have to worry about that forever.

> You're right, gear=character lvl basically. In a hold up, USUALLY, not always, but usually, you probably won't lose ALL your gear. Unless they're being dicks.

> I think the item damage from bullets is designed to promote "hold ups" against well-armed, well-geared players. Anyone can find a pair of pants or shirt, but I don't want to shoot the guy with the camo, ghillie, or whatever, because I want it. I'll try to hold him up. Just thoughts.......

It has nothing to do with me killing on sight or not, I can get shot and everything breaks and suddenly my clothes are rags or I can just play and every degrades within a few hours......... it just isn't fun.

IT has had no impact on KoS, I've still been shot at by every single person I've seen, so I just don't take the risk any more, I kill and will always kill as soon as I see someone. 

Do people still care about loot and dying any ways? If I die I have all the loot I lost within 20 mins... death isn't scary any more, Dayz isn't new and none of us care, it's just an annoyance now. 

Edited by Miffy