Sign in to follow this  
maddcheese (DayZ)

Regarding snipers

I feel like i'm going to get burned in the ass on this suggestion by a lot of people but just hear me out.

I have several friends who have played the Dayz mod while it was in its peak and quit within a week. why? snipers.

Sniping is all the buzz in this game, and trust me im not totaly against sniping either, I just really hate snipers that can snipe you from 800-1000 meters away. sure it would take away from the realism because there are snipers that shoot that far, but most people (especially newbys) absolutly hate them because it makes places like Cherno more hazardous and ultimetly a waste of time to enter because there is some asshole sniping from the hill with high tech equipment killing fresh spawns. Cherno should remain a close quarters sector on the map

thank you if you even considered reading this post its one of my 5 minute put together ideas.

I don't see a suggestion though.

Unless you mean preventing snipers from physically entering Chernogorsk?

Without playing the same old tune 'it's part of the game', one of the most frustrating elements of the mod is undoubtedly the prevalence of high-end military gear (in particular the 50cal sniper rifles) that require little or no skill to operate and are normally used by total asshats.

Not a plug for the Standalone...well it is, actually...(where's my money, Rocket?), but the scarcity of weapons and survival equipment should be a driving force for this concept/anti-game - that's the situation with the standalone. There's currently only four guns and one of them is essentially the Enfield that you can add a scope to, but is not really a sniper weapon.

If your friends enjoyed elements of the mod, I would point you towards the PRE-ALPHA. If not, I'm sure there are some more 'stripped-down' mods of the mod kicking around that have a lot less easily accessible weapons or rules of engagement between players. (I think DayZRP is one? Not tried it myself)

Hope this helps!

Edited by DoctorWrongpipes

Without playing the same old tune 'it's part of the game', one of the most frustrating elements of the mod is undoubtedly the prevalence of high-end military gear (in particular the 50cal sniper rifles) that require little or no skill to operate and are normally used by total asshats.

Not a plug for the Standalone...well it is, actually...(where's my money, Rocket?), but the scarcity of weapons and survival equipment should be a driving force for this concept/anti-game - that's the situation with the standalone. There's currently only four guns and one of them is essentially the Enfield that you can add a scope to, but is not really a sniper weapon.

If your friends enjoyed elements of the mod, I would point you towards the PRE-ALPHA. If not, I'm sure there are some more 'stripped-down' mods of the mod kicking around that have a lot less easily accessible weapons or rules of engagement between players. (I think DayZRP is one? Not tried it myself)

Hope this helps!

yea but i mean like when sniper do come out, people shouldnt just be able to shot someone 1k away. it kinda discourages scavenging

I don't see a suggestion though.

Unless you mean preventing snipers from physically entering Chernogorsk?

No what im suggesting is that snipers should have a trimmed limit on how far they can shoot

I'm sorry but i'ma have to be that guy again, awhile i do think killing fresh spawns is kinda silly, as a an experienced player i find it -really- entertaining to be shot at and have to dodge from building to building not knowing when the next shot will be fired. 

• Like 2

No what im suggesting is that snipers should have a trimmed limit on how far they can shoot

I don't quite understand - even the M4A1 is capable of shooting over 1,500 meters.

I don't quite understand - even the M4A1 is capable of shooting over 1,500 meters.

right but no one really has the skill or energy to use one over a sniper that does all the work for you

I agree. High powered sniper rifles like the .50 cal should NOT be in the game.

I have no problem with other rifles, such as the mosin, SKS, or einfield as I feel they fit the setting and are well balanced. 

Don't think we should 'limit' the range of weapons other than whats realistic, bullet drop wise anyway.  If you can see your target and make the proper adjustments to hit your target, you should be able to (and I do mean if it's able to, IE a .22 LR won't be a kill shot at a mile away)  That in mind, I think a lot of the long range anti mat guns should be kept out or severely limited in number.

• Like 1

no, if you choose to go to areas that are known to be high traffic, high risk areas, with a good chance of snipers, then that's your own fault. Don't ask for ways to limit snipers when at least 50% of the blame is yours. a better zeroing system could be implemented to make sniping more difficult, but that's not the problem here.  

the best way to not die to a sniper is to stop going to cherno and electro and balota - snipers wait there almost 24-7. another way is to move like one is shooting at you all the time, but even that won't help you indefinitely.

or you could find out where the snipers usually wait in these cities and try hunting them down.

tl;dr - solve your own problem. it's not a bug, and snipers are a known risk, but they only shoot at you when you give them the opportunity. Freshspawns die when they do what snipers think they're going to do, which is go to a city and run around like dickheads. 

stop being so predictable, and you'll stop dying so predictably.

Edited by Capo
  • Like 3

Translated - Can I haz eazy mode plz?"

Simple. No. Realistic weapon capability is essential to authentic gameplay. You want to loot somwhere? Take your chance like everyone else.

right but no one really has the skill or energy to use one over a sniper that does all the work for you

There are confirmed hits out past 1k in real life. with a 308, not a 50 cal.

vid

• Like 2

I don't mind dieing to a sniper, I think death in itself is just shitty. Black screen "You are Dead" that's it? At least let me fall and see around for 15 seconds to a few minutes depending on how bad it was. Then fade to black.

• Like 1

I'm very new, although am quite experienced for only playing a week or so, been alive for 3 days or so and geared up well...I love the realism in the mechanics, like having to put down my M4A1 to use anything else in my hands, and I absolutely love knowing that someone could be watching at ANY time form ANY direction. Thats what makes this game so amazing...the realism and immersion.

It really is soooo easy to avoid snipers.

Don't run on main roads or across open fields. Stay low and stick to cover. 

Bushes, trees, cars, buildings, signs, anything that can cover you. 

Like someone already stated. You should always act like someone is after you.

This games has got so much potential, I cant wait to get vehicles and more weapons and zombies.

If we start restricting ANYTHING, it will only take away from what makes this game so damn special!

• Like 1

There are confirmed hits out past 1k in real life. with a 308, not a 50 cal.

you have to take into account how many shots they fired (how many takes), and how experienced these people are.

Adding a trimmed limit on the sights would get rid of unexperienced assholes who shoot bambis because they feel like it. Most people wouldnt bother in shooting a can from 1000 meters away expecially if it would give their cover away. (sorry for mixing like 2 points in 1 sentence. English fail)

Edited by maddcheese

Sniping is sniping. Can't do much about that, nor should we.

What we could do is add more zombies up on that hill outside electro when it becomes possible. 

A good sniper stays hidden, but he can't hide the sound his gun makes, and unless every zombie in sight has already been killed, he should be swarmed pretty fast.