Sign in to follow this  
Whyherro123

More civilian guns- especially lever actions!

Now, I know there are several bajillion other things the dev need to do in order to make the game "complete", but I for one really enjoy the idea of having a preponderance of civilian weaponry The two "classes" of firearms would often be chambered in the same caliber, allowing for a gunslinger to carry the same cartridges for his sidearm and his longarm. Look at the Winchester Repeater, the "Gun that Won the West" for reference.

Now, I would have some problems with the idea of an essentially "American" firearm being found in abundance in a post-Soviet state, but the idea holds. We already have a .357 magnum revolver (revolvers are not common at all in Europe, IIRC), so why can't we have a repeater rifle chambered in the same caliber of round? Granted, in a nod to realism, the repeater rifle should have a far lower range than other rifles firing spitzer-type ammunition, but that could be the trade-off for improved logistics... 

Discuss

• Like 1

I would have some problems with the idea of an essentially "American" firearm being found in abundance in a post-Soviet state

As would I.

A lever action firearm would be nice but bolt actions, break actions, pump actions and semi automatics would be much more common for hunting arms. Many nice hunting arms to choose from and some should be implimented in my opinion.

As for military/police arms:

AK's, SKS, RPK, PKM, RPD, DP, SVD's, SVT-40's, Rpg-2's and 7's, underslung GP-25 and 30 grenade launchers, PPS and PPSH sub machine guns, Tokarev and Makarov pistols all would fit into the game and deserve to in my opinion.

Eastern bloc hardware should take priority over american arms because it just makes sense, having a large amount of us made firearms is foolish from a realism standpoint.

Edited by Tyockell18
  • Like 1

I live in america and i have about 6 differnt guns in my collection that are made across the world.  I dont really see this being an issue.   

Now, I know there are several bajillion other things the dev need to do in order to make the game "complete", but I for one really enjoy the idea of having a preponderance of civilian weaponry The two "classes" of firearms would often be chambered in the same caliber, allowing for a gunslinger to carry the same cartridges for his sidearm and his longarm. Look at the Winchester Repeater, the "Gun that Won the West" for reference.

Now, I would have some problems with the idea of an essentially "American" firearm being found in abundance in a post-Soviet state, but the idea holds. We already have a .357 magnum revolver (revolvers are not common at all in Europe, IIRC), so why can't we have a repeater rifle chambered in the same caliber of round? Granted, in a nod to realism, the repeater rifle should have a far lower range than other rifles firing spitzer-type ammunition, but that could be the trade-off for improved logistics... 

Discuss

Who cares if there Russian or American? If anything it just shows ignorance to the acceptance of other cultural fire arms if you have anything against our military might and craftsmanship with guns.

Who cares if there Russian or American? If anything it just shows ignorance to the acceptance of other cultural fire arms if you have anything against our military might and craftsmanship with guns.

I care if they are Russian or American or not because of the documented fact that American-style firearms (lever action longarms and revolvers) are exceptionally rare in Europe. I actually have some issue with the .357 being in the game at all because of said rarity. Now, certainly the citizens of Chernarus could buy whatever gun they pleased, but it remains the fact that said types of firearms are rarely used in the setting of the game.

Now, please, accuse me of ignorance again.

I care if they are Russian or American or not because of the documented fact that American-style firearms (lever action longarms and revolvers) are exceptionally rare in Europe. I actually have some issue with the .357 being in the game at all because of said rarity. Now, certainly the citizens of Chernarus could buy whatever gun they pleased, but it remains the fact that said types of firearms are rarely used in the setting of the game.

Now, please, accuse me of ignorance again.

Theres only 4 guns in the game atm im sure they will be harder to find once more guns are distributed via patch.

Civilian rifles okay. I want a Scar, FN FAL, p90, .50 cal rifle, AUG and so on. All of them are civilian legal if its single fire. Even full auto is legal if you have a permit.

And this is why I would rather not see it... I don't think the Python was a great choice either given that there are many more commonly encountered .357 revolvers than Colt Pythons (maybe they chose it because of The Walking Dead?)

But for the sake of argument say they put in a .357 levergun. We would need some important ballistic differences to be taken into account.

A Colt Python typically shoots a bit slower than other .357 revolvers. Why? Probably because the barrel tapers towards the muzzle, and because the rifling has a faster twist rate.

I checked it out, for your average factory ammo, 158 grains (most common weight), 1180 ft/s (360 m/s) seems like a good figure to me.

So that leaves the rifle's velocity. The .357 Magnum actually gains a ton of velocity in a rifle or carbine. 1770 ft/s (540 m/s) would be a good round figure for the same 158-grain factory ammunition.

That creates a problem, because the in-game muzzle velocity depends on the magazine (single rounds are also just "magazines"). Bohemia has never created a system to account for muzzle velocity vs barrel length, and I doubt they'll do it for DayZ. There are mods that do it, but nothing official (even though it would be easy to do so).

So most likely we'd either have an unrealistic revolver, or an unrealistic rifle.

The second thing is that the aerodynamics totally change when firing the same bullet from a rifle.

In my "Correcting SA ballistics" thread I suggested an airFriction of -0.00166 for the 158-gr .357 bullet at 360 m/s.

For the rifle at 540 m/s, it would have to be in the range of -0.00265, which makes a HUGE difference!

Since aerodynamics is based on the bullet, you would not be able to get "realistic" ballistics without having scripts which change the type of "magazines" the moment you load them into a rifle, even ACE doesn't do that.

For those reasons I'd rather have a .30-30. And also, they made, what... I believe it is 7.5 million Winchester 94s? Add the Marlins to that and it makes more sense than a .357.

But still none of them really make sense for the Chernarus location.

Dean did talk about wanting to do an American map at some point.