Sign in to follow this  
brinton1

More realistic hunger/ water death times... or more food sources..

I found the rate in which people die from hunger rediculous - I come from a long line of survialists, and found that this aspect of the game to ruin the immersive effect that it should have. 

If you are weary about the rate then I would add realistic foraging sources in the wilderness like berries, tubers, grubs etc. I am pissed that I had to die from hunger running throuh the woods surrounded by natural sources of eats - please include these . otherwise it would just be silly  to die in 30 mins without food comon... lol

• Like 1

Understand that new survivors start quite hungry. So the rate at which you starve initially is not representative of the total food energy you can store in your body once you actually gather up supplies.

There will surely be more sources of food in the future, including hunting animals and cooking meat, but for now it's really not that hard to get enough food to stay alive. Move off the coast and search residential houses and before you know it you will be swimming in food (and soda).

I found the rate in which people die from hunger rediculous - I come from a long line of survialists, and found that this aspect of the game to ruin the immersive effect that it should have. 

If you are weary about the rate then I would add realistic foraging sources in the wilderness like berries, tubers, grubs etc. I am pissed that I had to die from hunger running throuh the woods surrounded by natural sources of eats - please include these . otherwise it would just be silly  to die in 30 mins without food comon... lol

L2P man, loot houses they are full of food. Along w/ military barracks hospitals, etc. I've never died from hunger.

current amount of loot is obscenely high.

also, if you eat to "full" status, it then takes forever till you get hungry again. as stated, you begin the game already at the brink of starvation.

To be fair, and honest you should join the game completely healthy, because sometimes, i spawn not even near towns... 

To be fair, and honest you should join the game completely healthy, because sometimes, i spawn not even near towns...

You ALWAYS spawn no more than 5 minutes of run from the closest town.

I actually think TOP hunger limit should be WAY below than it is. I'm eating like 10 cans of beans to be full. And also hunger should decrease faster so we have to carry food all the time. Right now, whenever I'm hungry I go to a town, loot 10 units, eat and go on playing for another 4 hours.

• Like 1

Yeah starting a little more full would be helpful - also- I would prefer the death to occur later on and perhaps to a negative multiplier to ones stats (once/if added)  as your hunger and thirst level increases. Then move into the death animation, I was alive for 20 mins and the last 10 I couldnt see or navigate due to how grey and blurry it was.

@mkoval L2 RL bro.

It's not a question of do I think its fair or not.  but rather should the game attempt to be more immersive by having physical properties closer to that of RL especially in the PvE(non-zombie related threats).

If the drops in the homes are so abundant, then I would lean more towards lowering that and increasing the forest edibles ( wild mushrooms, skills such as hunting/fishing, berries, edible lichen, tubers, grubs, any larvae, etc.) all great survivalist  foods. since honestly I spent most of my times off the main roads and navigating the wilderness, which is very vanilla atm.

Bushcrafting abilities should be availble as well, I think the game has great potential if it tries to mimic how true survival would occur.

thoughts?

after actually getting decent food drops from a town I see what you are saying - I still am for other sources of eats

Was just gonna make a similar statement. other then the idea of limiting attack options and moving lots of inventory

(slows walking based on how full it is, dropping it for conflict, really heavy bag makes you real slow, allow for feets of strength and bravery carrying the heavy bag of manliness)

There is another use, nefarious, but this is dayz.

carry a friend in the bag(afk, sleeping, injured), or a dead friend properly ended(maybe as more fo a trap like disease etc, or to give him a proper viking funeral at a body of water), carry a small deer/animals, or better yet a way to get a zombie in the bag(or infected/dying person?, dare?). or to boobie trap a bag. or carry around the corpse of a recent enemy as a trophy.

or even just for a red herring. have large group and have good things, have distraction player with heavy bag full of axes or something useless to draw fire/attention.

I think we need slower times, but less food sources.

Every 3rd house there's another can of food I can't fit in my bag/ another pond/ well after my canteen is full.

It's too easy IN MY OPINION, get off the coast and you might understand.

This is a survival / horror game.

I think the current system is damn near perfectly balanced, and as the game goes on more food sources are going to be added.

Sorry if you can't run to NWAF right from spawn anymore.

current amount of loot is obscenely high.

also, if you eat to "full" status, it then takes forever till you get hungry again. as stated, you begin the game already at the brink of starvation.

If you reach max energy you cam run around for 22 hours before dying from starvation.

Thirst is much faster though.

ahh- then a nice gauge would be appropriate - I would like the option for some beter hud options - to be able to make honest assements of my health before venturing into or away from areas

I have been killing everyone I encounter lately and its for no reasons at all.I just feel that Dayz is a mishmash of ideas that dont really add to immersion IMO.Now If I had been the maker of Dayz things would be a bit different.First is that I would make it so that you have a bodyweight around 150 to start and when you reach say 110 or some figure you then die of starvation.This takes a full 3 days before death.Game would have player skeleton that shrinks as you lose more and more fat and muscle with some scarily looking gaunt figures towards the starvation end.To maintain weight you need 2K calories per day and have realistic food calorie levels in game.If you are a dedicated scavanger you can maintain weight but times are tough and slowly you will lose more and more weight unless you are super persistant with looting the whole map constantly.

Canned foods would be much more rare and the game would spawn empty cans everywhere just for immersion(this would add that desolate leached of food feel IMO).Larger animals will be super rare to the tune of how many compasses you run across but can easily get you back to 150 pounds of weight with one catch,though you will have to find salt and preserve the meat as you will just vomit if you try to eat a whole large animal at once.Rabbits will be more abundant but be about 900cal so not really helpful and more like just finding 3 cans of beans.And animals would have an aggro distance that you will have to fire from to make hunting actually take skill.Basically get as close as possible before firing but too close and the animals dart and are hard to find again.

Oh,and yes cannibalism is in the mix to the same tune as catching a large animal.Make Dayz a living hell. :lol:

Edited by wolfstriked

If you get off the coast and go to the closest residentual area, u will find plenty of food and drink, but i think that you shouldnt get Hungry/Thirst as often as you do, u can eat a Can of Spagetti and a Can of Beans and then be hungry in 10 minutes....

I have been killing everyone I encounter lately and its for no reasons at all.I just feel that Dayz is a mishmash of ideas that dont really add to immersion IMO.Now If I had been the maker of Dayz things would be a bit different.First is that I would make it so that you have a bodyweight around 150 to start and when you reach say 110 or some figure you then die of starvation.This takes a full 3 days before death.Game would have player skeleton that shrinks as you lose more and more fat and muscle with some scarily looking gaunt figures towards the starvation end.To maintain weight you need 2K calories per day and have realistic food calorie levels in game.If you are a dedicated scavanger you can maintain weight but times are tough and slowly you will lose more and more weight unless you are super persistant with looting the whole map constantly.

Canned foods would be much more rare and the game would spawn empty cans everywhere just for immersion(this would add that desolate leached of food feel IMO).Larger animals will be super rare to the tune of how many compasses you run across but can easily get you back to 150 pounds of weight with one catch,though you will have to find salt and preserve the meat as you will just vomit if you try to eat a whole large animal at once.Rabbits will be more abundant but be about 900cal so not really helpful and more like just finding 3 cans of beans.And animals would have an aggro distance that you will have to fire from to make hunting actually take skill.Basically get as close as possible before firing but too close and the animals dart and are hard to find again.

Oh,and yes cannibalism is in the mix to the same tune as catching a large animal.Make Dayz a living hell. :lol:

I like where you are going with this!

As others have said here, get off the coast.

Hunger and thirst are not an issue once you get inland.

I would like to see a system similar to this.

For a average person to make/find food roughly 1 to 2 hours.

You starve in about 3 hours.

3 1/2 hours you will be dead.

So you couldnt sit somewhere and camp.

If you dont get moving and find some food you will die.

naturally.

Now its loot a couple buildings find 3-4 cans of beans and you are set to sit on top of a firehouse and have a snipefest.

food should be scary scarce.

To the point we dont even see it as food anymore but gametime.

If it takes you over a hour to find food it would make time delicate and one would have to manage their time on how long they spend doing stuff.

It would add a more interesting end game. 

As of now i have like 7 cans of beans a bunch of water bottles.

A m4 with 2 full clips.

There is nothing really to do now.

Im not gonna starve.

Edited by methr1k2dop3