McBonkhead

KOS Conundrum revisited. ~Easy fix!

So I've been pouring over these forums and it's pretty fricken obvious that the community is divided over PvE and PvP.

But fear not! The answers are all over the place here, and some of them will fix the situation with little effort or change to the status-quot. Here's what I mean:

The KOS k.i.s.s.

Servers are already dividing into PvP and PvE specific places. With certain servers saying they are hardcore veteran pvp zones and others wanting role-playing, survival game-play only.

The problem is players that want to KOS - with an advantage, will always enter PvE servers with the intent of murdering everyone they see. That's just the way it is right now, so boo-hoo sucks-to-be-you humans that want to restart civilization... Now here's the easy-breezy fix.

We already have to terms 'Bandits and Heroes' in the game lingo, so lets say everyone starts out as a 'Hero', just for being you. Killing another player however, makes your player profile a 'Bandit' on a global cool-down for say... 24 hours.

So the only thing becoming a Bandit does is limit your choice to PvP specific-servers-only until the global timer runs out.

So a KOS killing sprees will still happen on PvE servers, but that Hero-turned-Bandit will now HAVE to pick a PvP server next time he/she logs in. Let's say they killed 10 players, now they are a Bandit for 10 days. It's now time to have fun PvP'n in the PvP zones with all the big boyz.

In conclusion, this strips grief from the game. Most PvP, proKOS players will gladly play as Bandits in this hellish version of DayZ. A truly hardcore horror show.

And the Heroes that just want to survive, after things have fallen apart, can focus on putting all those things back together.

~Salute to all of you, Bandits and Heroes alike. 

EDIT: You would only get the 'Bandit' status for the reasons above, If your a 'Hero', your a hero no matter what server you choose. And yer dahm hardcore if your a Hero on a PvP server full of Bandits. :D 

Edited by McBonkhead
  • Like 3

did you die from player in recent time? :huh:

Players are a big part of DayZ; both good AND bad encounters.

The majority of players that get killed either get killed because they make a silly mistake or mistakenly trust someone - both which can be prevented easily by staying in cover and being aware of your surroundings.

Without these aspects it's just another shitty shooter, it's nothing to do with PvP or PvE choices - encountering another player is always a risk which is what adds the fear of the unknown in DayZ

KoS is a problem with certain players wanting to take the easy route which they will ALWAYS do to prevent them from losing their precious pixels - they will pass it off as them being macho but they are just scared - no mechanics will change that.

• Like 2

KoS is a problem with certain players wanting to take the easy route which they will ALWAYS do to prevent them from losing their precious pixels - they will pass it off as them being macho but they are just scared - no mechanics will change that.

Well, making bandits play with bandits WILL change that. It's different play styles in the same game, an easy solution that would defiantly make pro-KOS players play with each other only. I can see why that would make the KOS-by-choice crowd uneasy.

To put into context: After a Zombie-Apocalypse parts of the planet would become KOS places for many reasons, and other parts of the globe would get along to survive. If this game is a simulator at heart, it needs to simulate both sides of the coin. Or it will loose part of the player base from being to constrictive, one way or the other. See the conundrum? 

Edited by McBonkhead

"I want to play with my friends."  -Me

"Well fuck you, you can't, since you had to kill that guy that tried to murder you yesterday." -The Game

Just, no.  Horrible idea, few ways to execute in an effective and appropriate manner.  

I have said it before and will gladly say it again, KoS behaviour will reduce in the future by the following:

• Make server hopping more "work"/wait, and less rewarding, to prevent gearing up in an unfair manner. Or at least make it much less effective.
  • More zombies, harder zombies, respawning zombies.  This will make encountering zombies harder, and in many cases a group effort to survive. This will promote teamplay and interaction with other players.
  • Respawning loot, preferably in a way where it is more likely to respawn in areas with fewer people.  This will prevent servers having to restart, and it will make sure server hoppers aren't always ensured gearing up when they server hop and "everything is there" in the military base they are in.
  • New loot, spread around more, to ensure that much of the "must have" loot isn't available in just one place like now. (Airfield / military base).
  • Like 1

Well, making bandits play with bandits WILL change that. It's different play styles in the same game, an easy solution that would defiantly make pro-KOS players play with each other only. I can see why that would make the KOS-by-choice crowd uneasy.

To put into context: After a Zombie-Apocalypse parts of the planet would become KOS places for many reasons, and other parts of the globe would get along to survive. If this game is a simulator at heart, it needs to simulate both sides of the coin. Or it will loose part of the player base from being to constrictive, one way or the other. See the conundrum? 

You misunderstand though, no matter how many players you send off there will still be KoS - it's part of the game and part of the risk you take every time you choose to reveal yourself out in the open.

Artificially segregating players isn't really simulating anything, we are being dropped on a map and some choose to KoS and some don't - that's as close as you're going to get.

not sure if this idea you have is the answer, but its one of the best i have seen.

And yes, Ezmode mass killing bandit would not like it as they would have to go and play with people that want to kill them. People say, 'Let people play as they want too', well for a part of Dayz, they cant as they get KOS all the time. This idea may work as a server option I guess, but I would like to see a 2 or 3 kill buffer before any time outs, so it targets the mass killers who play just to kill players.

• Like 1

but I would like to see a 2 or 3 kill buffer before any time outs, so it targets the mass killers who play just to kill players.

Yeah! That would be a great buffer for noobs figuring out how a gun works.

As for the rest of ya, I thought this would open a can of worms. Such an easy fix too. It really feels like many players want to force a "KOS or get the hell out" game to make it out of Alpha.

EDIT: Devs, you CAN please everybody... KOS players won't leave just because they can't be a Hero on PvE server. You think they would be up for the challenge of true PvP really, unless they want the game to be a serial-killer simulator, and the goal is to the only one left alive with all the guns.   

Edited by McBonkhead

Not a bad idea, if people want this kind of public servers. But yeah, that hard to find a way to reunite nearly every type of player in the same game. The hardcore kos clans can just decide to play on the usual servers so this is not really a restrictive suggestion.

All this ideas to prevent KoS are so... eh... kind of crude. Ive seen thousand suggestions like this one. If you want to see some change with the KoS think of changes in the game, not on the servers.

• Like 1

And if it was a server option like 3PP:off/on, then no one would be forced to join a PvE style server, so they don't have to be limited by a killing rule. I cant see any issue with it my self apart from a loot accessibility balance if its a public hive. But that didn't come up in the replies and probably will now as main argument lol

but, also nothing to stop them going on there to get loot in that way... yeah, i don't know. Just wanted to throw that out there.

• Like 1

Horrible idea! Read Rossums' post! He got everything right with that one.

The way I see it, there is no solution. Some people will always KoS.

Also, it's not PvP vs PvE, because even though I don't like KoSing, I still want some PvP in-game, and I'm sure most other anti-KoSers want it that way too.

You just can't divide us into two groups like that. I really want PvP, but just with a bit of interaction beforehand.

I still want some PvP in-game, and I'm sure most other anti-KoSers want it that way too.

It's not like your banned from playing the game, you would just have to play with other players that feel similar to you about PvP. If you're a KOS player, what do you care if others are playing to try to get along? 

Making other players play in a KOS environment without any options is the quintessential excuse for players that just like killing players... Just to kill players. Getting miffed at the idea of PvP servers means you really want to kill players for that reason alone, and my guess is, the devs want more options for every-bodies playing style. 

I'm gonna present this from a moral angle, just to get perspective.

Two players meet and one of them shoots the other in the face. KOS player searches the body and moves on.

Two players meet and ask for directions and trade stuff. They both move on.

The second situation will never happen due to KOS players in the current Alpha build. And that is because KOS players are forcing everyone to play their way. That guy you just shot in the face could have been a lot of fun to hang with, but you will never know now.

Now that is what I call restrictive play. And that will have to be tempered with a solution that will allow the second option to happen.

A PvP Bandit server is for KOS players to see who-can-see-who first - bang! dead. Fun, fun.

Hero servers would allow noobs to figure out how to play, and let the second meeting option mentioned here to shine. Nuff said.

Edited by McBonkhead

As a said in another post, private "friendly" servers with pvp allowed zone will be created in a near future (for example, kos allowed around military loot spawn). So again, everyone will find the kind of gameplay they want to play.

But that a bit sad to know that like the mod, the public servers will be deserted because the community is unable to come up with an idea to enhance the gameplay of some without restricting others. Of course some people will say that they don't want the game to change, but will also be again the idea of private servers.

• Like 1

Just to put it out there: I Kill On Sight. I'm not against the tactic... Not when it's forced on me by a lack of a game-mechanic. Quite honestly, I just want the guy on the other end of my bullets to be in the same bandit mindset I am in. I don't want to shoot up people that don't think it's fun to die dancing. It's just not fair, and it makes me feel like a chump. 

As a said in another post, private "friendly" servers with pvp allowed zone will be created in a near future (for example, kos allowed around military loot spawn). So again, everyone will find the kind of gameplay they want to play.

That's a major assumption. Private servers were allowed in the mod, but they are expressly against server hosting rules and I would not be surprised at all to see a future Standalone update simply stop listing servers that aren't authorized to connect to an official hive. Here's hoping they do this; private hives are bullshit.

I'm not sure I fully understand the desire to prevent, tone down or in some way restrict KoS. It's a choice you and everyone else has borne out of the game's mechanics. Trying to change that would be changing the core of the game and I'm pretty sure most players, and certainly the devs, would not want that. Sure it's annoying to have your head blown off by someone just after you found that shiny bit of kit but that's part of the fun/tension of DZ. Literally every encounter you have with another person could be your last for that life.

Instead of trying to fix a core element of the game, why not play differently? Think smart; stay alive.

Instead of trying to fix a core element of the game, why not play differently? Think smart; stay alive.

I do think smart. I KOS like a madman. The point is; The game in it's current state is -making- me play like that. Just like hardcore pro-KOS players don't want to be -made- to play only with other KOS players.

So we all come to a comprises?  I hope we do. Then I can get back to seeing you before you see me, knowing you won't mind what hit you. ;)

This is a broken idea in a few ways, first being it segregates the community, which is never good.

Hypothetical sceanario:

I see some bandit scum sniping fresh spawns on the coast, I walk behind him and bury my axe into his head, I am now a bandit and have to only play on bandit servers? 

Someone is stealing my car, I have to either let him take it, or kill him. I am now a bandit?

There are a number of reasons a "hero" would need to KOS, none of which are worth punishment.

• Like 1

What Ymath said. I was actually going to put that up as a point (finding a sniper picking off unarmed newbies) but decided against it. Also the car thing is another point I hadn't thought about along the same lines.

Something else to consider; If you attempt to restrict certain behaviour or tell people not to do something, what do they do? Exactly what you don't want them to, only with more determination to do it just to piss you off.

• Like 1

There are a number of reasons a "hero" would need to KOS, none of which are worth punishment.

I totally agree, as was sugested earlier, you could get away with the first kill or so in a short period of time. It's just a killing spree that a pve server would be trying to avoid.

Think of it as a noob training ground if you want. It's not ment to be punishment at all.

Edited by McBonkhead

KOS will be reduced in time once the zombies become substantially threatening.

• Like 1