Sign in to follow this  
deebz1234

Good ol' running up hills

Is it me or is the old running up hills issue more pronounced in SA?

I find it more frustrating to run up hills...constantly having to switch from turbo to jog, to diagonal, etc...

How does this engine have the same wonderful issue as Arma 2?

What causes this?

Is it something we will have to live with in SA?

Issue? It's a feature! lol :P

I'm not a big fan of it either, but I don't want to have fully geared players run uphill at 30 mph :)

EDIT : So, yes, we will have to live with it in SA. The exact values for how steep we can actually go before going slower might be tweaked a bit, if we're lucky that is.

Edited by Weparo
  • Like 1

Not at all, but the inconsistency of it is what kills it.

if you turbo on the right angle, you can run up the hill, then when the issue comes up, you are forced to walk...but then if you release turbo it will jog up the hill... like wholey fuck

the problem is something with the terrain and pathway of the character, just make it a non issue or up hill = jog, flat = turbo. no inbetween or crazy shit.

• Like 1

Its one of the most frustrating parts of the game. I cant remember it being that bad in the mod as it is in the standalone now.

They mostlikely did that so u cant use hills to outrun zombies anymore. However i rather see the zombies running a bit faster uphill then both crawling up.

Not at all, but the inconsistency of it is what kills it.

if you turbo on the right angle, you can run up the hill, then when the issue comes up, you are forced to walk...but then if you release turbo it will jog up the hill... like wholey fuck

the problem is something with the terrain and pathway of the character, just make it a non issue or up hill = jog, flat = turbo. no inbetween or crazy shit.

I'd agree, but there is one issue : Define flat. Exept for a couple of miles along the coast, no ground in chernarus is absolutly flat, most of the time it goes up or down more or less subtle.

You can still zigzag to maintain speed on semi-steep hills.

The problem here isn't so much the slowdown of you going up the hill. It's just that the animations don't bring an immersive experience when doing so. In real life, if you try to climb a steep hill, you aren't just walking. You're constantly rebalancing yourself, taking big and firm steps to get up. Your body leans forward to prevent falling backwards, if it has been raining you will most likely slip a couple of times. You even use your hands to further gain balance where you may not have it. If you carry a lot you're going to use up energy much more quickly than you normally would even when running.

And since we are talking about survivors here, and not trained military people. It is very unlikely that you would be able to keep going on without getting heavily fatigued after a while.

• Like 3

agreed on all posts, but i dont think it is a feature....i think it is some problem with both engines.

curious as to the technical reason why

i certainly dont go running up a hill and then instantly start walking, then turbo running, then jogging, then walking, then zig zagging, etc

hahaha

The exact values for how steep we can actually go before going slower might be tweaked a bit, if we're lucky that is.

This should solve the problem... because I'm personally faster in real life, if I run up a hill diagonal

• Like 1

A lot can be done pretty easily to make it more realistic, in addition, we could really use a "panic mode" for a lot of things because no way am i strolling up a hill with a zombie behind me or an M4 firing at me. Perhaps you could use a certain amount of adrenaline to get away a little bit faster, that wore off very quickly and took awhile to come back. Overall, it is sometimes realistic, sometimes not, depending on the slope, but in consideration to the amount of general walking we must do, i'd like to speed it up a little and invest in realism elsewhere.

I have nothing against being slower when climbing hills but do not make me go all the way down to walking in the park pace.

agreed on all posts, but i dont think it is a feature....i think it is some problem with both engines.

curious as to the technical reason why

i certainly dont go running up a hill and then instantly start walking, then turbo running, then jogging, then walking, then zig zagging, etc

hahaha

No. It literally is a feature.

I had this issue on paved roads in the game so often, I ragequit because of it.

It wasn't even steep. It was like a 3% incline.

I don't mind it. I plan my journeys around mountains and up trails, just like someone would do in real life.

A lot can be done pretty easily to make it more realistic, in addition, we could really use a "panic mode" for a lot of things because no way am i strolling up a hill with a zombie behind me or an M4 firing at me. Perhaps you could use a certain amount of adrenaline to get away a little bit faster, that wore off very quickly and took awhile to come back. Overall, it is sometimes realistic, sometimes not, depending on the slope, but in consideration to the amount of general walking we must do, i'd like to speed it up a little and invest in realism elsewhere.

I like the idea of having pet-zombies to increase ur climbing speed !

Some one could speak to mother nature and tell her that we have a bug in life that prevent us to go full speed to the top of a steep hill! Aparently some devs are replicating this bug in some games! Is really frustrating IRL and now is in our games! :)

-M.

IMO a somewhat decent animation would do the trick but that is just me. Maybe like the crouch animation with the char using his hands on the ground to keep balance, grab for roots etc.(the char doesn't actually have to grab roots, just an animation that does that motion randomly).

No. It literally is a feature.

Really though??? proof or?

I truly thought it was a bug from arma 2 engine that manifested somehow in SA.

its insane is what it is...

also it happens when going down hill!

I still think its a bug, because if you hold turbo, you walk...if you hold W, you jog (when it goes in to crackhead mode)

Edited by deebz1234

Guys, pay attention next time your traveling. Some inclines are clearly too slow i've observed to be realistic. If you want total realism, then have us stop to rest every few minutes and in some cases just walk. There is also the lack of use of your momentum which would be nice to get over small inclines without so much hassle.

Edited by Thane

Really though??? proof or?

I truly thought it was a bug from arma 2 engine that manifested somehow in SA.

its insane is what it is...

also it happens when going down hill!

I still think its a bug, because if you hold turbo, you walk...if you hold W, you jog (when it goes in to crackhead mode)

What the shit...? I need proof to say that an OBVIOUS feature, though not masterfully implemented, is actually a feature in a military_simulation. Consider the following: SA uses the same engine as Arma 2, with improved graphics (which relates to the engine in no way). Can you prove that there are tanks in Arma 2 because the devs put them in though? Imo tanks are just a bug in the Arma 2 engine.

wowo i didnt mean that as a jab...Many truly think this is just part of the shitty arma 2 engine. Not a designed feature.

It is also a problem in arma 3...

Just figured that since it wasnt fixed by now, it was an engine issue.

wowo i didnt mean that as a jab...Many truly think this is just part of the shitty arma 2 engine. Not a designed feature.

It is also a problem in arma 3...

Just figured that since it wasnt fixed by now, it was an engine issue.

It hasn't been fixed because it doesnt need to be fixed, since Arma is a military simulation, and attacking a hill is just... deadly. Take the attack on Hill 300 in WWII as an example. While I do agree that it isn't as necessary in DayZ as it is in Arma, and that it could use improving, it's nevertheless a feature.

Hey, why don't you crybabies go get a bunch of random shit and put it in a bag, and strap an axe to your back and carry a large rifle up the Appalachian trail for 8 miles and see if you can keep a heavy sprint going the entire time. 

The game is supposed to present a somewhat realistic scenario. Just be thankful you don't get forced motion blur from stamina drain like in some other games.