Sign in to follow this  
kermo50

Should Gillie suits be a craft-able item only?

Craftable with the need of approx. 5 different items to produce it. It should also take some time to produce it. Not an animation, but sth like you hold the stuff in your hands and have to move a needle 500 times into the suit in the inventory screen.

Penalties for wearing a ghillie suit:

1. You cannot carry a backpack while wearing the ghillie, so you can only stuff your trousers and probably vest with stuff to go "on a sniping mission".

2. Your water consumption should dramatically increase when moving in a ghillie suit, especially when sprinting, as in: if a liter of water allows you to sprint for 10 minutes with normal clothes, wearing a ghillie would allow you to sprint only 3 minutes in a ghillie.

There should be disadvantages and advantages to every cloth item as in a weight system. The ghillie suit should be the most punishable one.

How about having to drag/carry you backpack along in a drag-bag?

• Like 1

How about having to drag/carry you backpack along in a drag-bag?

Sure, that could be an option. With an even further penality of increasing water consumption while wearing the ghillie.

I am not against ghillie's at all, but just want to make it more difficult for players to get one as it is dumb if everybody has one because every 10th home on the map has one in the wardrobe.

Craftable with the need of approx. 5 different items to produce it. It should also take some time to produce it. Not an animation, but sth like you hold the stuff in your hands and have to move a needle 500 times into the suit in the inventory screen.

Penalties for wearing a ghillie suit:

1. You cannot carry a backpack while wearing the ghillie, so you can only stuff your trousers and probably vest with stuff to go "on a sniping mission".

2. Your water consumption should dramatically increase when moving in a ghillie suit, especially when sprinting, as in: if a liter of water allows you to sprint for 10 minutes with normal clothes, wearing a ghillie would allow you to sprint only 3 minutes in a ghillie.

There should be disadvantages and advantages to every cloth item as in a weight system. The ghillie suit should be the most punishable one.

ok i can definately roll with your second disadvantage as well they are stuffy slightly cumbersome ( perhaps some mobility disadvantage) the first no back pack though sorry she is a loser you can buy them with back packs in the suit (it would be much smaller though so you could make it say a 20 slot back pack or something. But if you craft your own you could easily make it include your current back pack .

The making your own would make it better is subjective(depends on your skill with camoflauge ideas its not as easy as chucking a few branches in some netting on ya cloths and way you go. Bought premade suits are actually very VERY well done infact the types of suits you see portrayed in arma 2 /3 are actually to my eyes apear to be the pre made bought type. Do a little research on the topic .

I am not trying to be an antagonist they want to portray this game authenticly only way to do it is use realistic ideas not i think it should be this way cause i dont like it otherwise....

Craftable only.

No good sniper I've ever heard of bought his suit in a store... It's all hand crafted

• Like 1

I don't think a ghillie should be difficult to acquire. I've come across enough burlap sacks and rope to make several by now.

It'd probably be better to be a rare military or hunter stand drop (Along with some kind of bolt action precision rifle!)

Sure, that could be an option. With an even further penality of increasing water consumption while wearing the ghillie.

I am not against ghillie's at all, but just want to make it more difficult for players to get one as it is dumb if everybody has one because every 10th home on the map has one in the wardrobe.

hence why as a loot spawn you make it extremely rare lol as it would be in real life you aint going to find them every where balance the item with real factors not fictional ones..

No good sniper I've ever heard of bought his suit in a store... It's all hand crafted

Oh and every survivour happens to be a fully trained sniper again the use of these suits is far more common amongst hunters ( even those guys at times make there own ) do a little reasearch on bought ones there actually quite good (ps and many of these supliers actually supply to the miltary also )

I spent 8 years in the military in Australia i certainly wasnt a sniper or even a marksman but enough of the elitist bull lol cause ya just sound ill informed ...

I wan't both, Craftable and found, Obviously the one you find will be a better looking with better camouflage  but extremely rare, And the one you make will be not the best camouflage? Well something like that, It sounds good in my head anyways :3

• Like 1

I like the idea of it being craftable. Maybe the craftable one isn't as good as the military spawning one. Like has a different texture and make the military one rare.

Oh and every survivour happens to be a fully trained sniper again the use of these suits is far more common amongst hunters ( even those guys at times make there own ) do a little reasearch on bought ones there actually quite good (ps and many of these supliers actually supply to the miltary also )

I spent 8 years in the military in Australia i certainly wasnt a sniper or even a marksman but enough of the elitist bull lol cause ya just sound ill informed ...

Full trained? DUDE, take some greenclothing, tape grass and small branches to it and done! If you can't do that, well get yourself checked!

And ENOUGH with that "every survivour happens to be a fully trained sniper" hurr durr, bullshit! By the odds of it, half our survivors would be able to shoot as many people have never seen a firearm in their hands! How bout we just remove guns, because you know most people would only break their own faces, see youtube for instance :D

A quick google search reveals that ghillie suits are heavy, very warm and require lots of maintenance. 

Ghillie suits don't seem to be practical for every-day wear, and I'm sure when (if?) they're implemented the devs will get it right. 

Edited by Very Ape

Bought premade suits are actually very VERY well done infact the types of suits you see portrayed in arma 2 /3 are actually to my eyes apear to be the pre made bought type. Do a little research on the topic .

Ha do your research? You look at a suit made by a sniper to fit his specific environment and one bought at a wall mart and tell me which one is superior?

Yea it should only be craft-able.

please elaborate on why its only craftable?? i mean i am no expert on how often pre made ones are used in russia( im not a russian hunter) you may be right they may not be able to buy them in russia honestly i dont know the answer to that one. but id imagine they would have them also (as realisticly as they would have american style weapons like the m4)

Full trained? DUDE, take some greenclothing, tape grass and small branches to it and done! If you can't do that, well get yourself checked!

And ENOUGH with that "every survivour happens to be a fully trained sniper" hurr durr, bullshit! By the odds of it, half our survivors would be able to shoot as many people have never seen a firearm in their hands! How bout we just remove guns, because you know most people would only break their own faces, see youtube for instance :D

Yeah and that makes great camo does it?? it may be good enough and i dont debate that but many people here are saying a self made one would be better camo than a bought one ( your example shows how it wouldnt)

I said we should be able to craft our own suits and be able to find pre made ones perhaps actually read my posts lol but your right i am getting frustrated by guys throwing quite honestly rubbish ideas out with no thought given at all.

Ha do your research? You look at a suit made by a sniper to fit his specific environment and one bought at a wall mart and tell me which one is superior?

And we are back to everyone being fully versed in making effective camo yes one made by a sniper is better one made by a normal person who has never had to do anything of the sort results in as has been posted green clothes with gras and branches attached these guys take there time and have learnt the the best ways to apply there gear to make it effective.

I challenge a city guy who has never hunted to go make there ghillie suit and ill compare it to a bought one in its effectiveness.(as this type of person is most likely what our survivours are well i dont recall rocket giving us a background but if looking at general pop numbers and make up city people make up the lions share its strange how high density cities havee more people than country or fully trained military people simple concept is it not??)

LOL you guys need to get a grip on reality honestly its like talking to a pre school child that doesnt have any idea of what your saying just keeps saying no NO NO as children have a tendancy to do ...

Yeah and that makes great camo does it?? it may be good enough and i dont debate that but many people here are saying a self made one would be better camo than a bought one ( your example shows how it wouldnt)

I said we should be able to craft our own suits and be able to find pre made ones perhaps actually read my posts lol but your right i am getting frustrated by guys throwing quite honestly rubbish ideas out with no thought given at all.

Yes it would make better camo! jeesus! what if you buy a greenish one but are in a pine forrest? or a lighter one but are in the depths of the woods? Maybe a brown one would be nice, if you weren't in a green hell! Dammit, the reason why snipers do their own is because the can use local plants and trees to blend in, something a store doesn't have, and most of the cases they don't know how it will look like at their sniping spot, and they can't have a truck filled with different ghillies suits follow them.

CRAFTABLE ONLY!

Yes it would make better camo! jeesus! what if you buy a greenish one but are in a pine forrest? or a lighter one but are in the depths of the woods? Maybe a brown one would be nice, if you weren't in a green hell! Dammit, the reason why snipers do their own is because the can use local plants and trees to blend in, something a store doesn't have, and most of the cases they don't know how it will look like at their sniping spot, and they can't have a truck filled with different ghillies suits follow them.

CRAFTABLE ONLY!

i have already said one made by someone trained in such things would be better than a bought one LOL but your own example of how to do it would be well rather less effective than a bought one( again i challenge you to actually make one and then compare it to the 4 i own pre made) OH MY GOD of course if you buy one a different colour to the enviroment your going into it would be really bad.

Strange thing is they make them to suit the general enviroment your going into ( so it will be good but not as good as one made by a profesional sniper who has had practice guidance in such things OBVIOUSLY ) now i am pretty sure if the russians do make suits ( i dont know most countries in the western world do make these things for hunters) they are smart enough to make a good suit to match there own bloody terrain . But ok you guys win i cant debate with people who have no grounding in simply logic...

Edit the topic is should they be craftable only well my initial point was in reality they can be bought so that sums it up but i made the mistake of answering points made by people who wouldnt know there penis from a gun of any sort....

Edited by SoulFirez

i have already said one made by someone trained in such things would be better than a bought one LOL but your own example of how to do it would be well rather less effective than a bought one( again i challenge you to actually make one and then compare it to the 4 i own pre made) OH MY GOD of course if you buy one a different colour to the enviroment your going into it would be really bad.

Strange thing is they make them to suit the general enviroment your going into ( so it will be good but not as good as one made by a profesional sniper who has had practice guidance in such things OBVIOUSLY ) now i am pretty sure if the russians do make suits ( i dont know most countries in the western world do make these things for hunters) they are smart enough to make a good suit to match there own bloody terrain . But ok you guys win i cant debate with people who have no grounding in simply logic...

You seem to believe that everything outdoors is green. I challenge you to walk a mile, and have a look at all the different coloured suits you'd need for that.

Dammit, the reason why snipers do their own is because the can use local plants and trees to blend in, something a store doesn't have

Right, okay. Well, the ones we find aren't "store bought" so the entire discussion seems a bit silly. Obviously the ghillie suits we find lying around will be ones that were made by snipers who were in the area before the became infected. So they will be made in ways appropriate for the local wildlife and work perfectly fine.

You seem to believe that everything outdoors is green. I challenge you to walk a mile, and have a look at all the different coloured suits you'd need for that.

So in your vision we have to re-craft our ghillie suits every time we walk 200m because the foliage changes color?

Pass on that.

• Like 1

strange how you have changed how easy it is to try suit your arguement next failed attempt at logic.. none of my pre bought suits are all green or even close to it more evidence you are speaking on a topic you actually have little to NO idea what your talking about

EDIT i cant believe i agree with zed ( no offence but we differ on so many things lol)

Edited by SoulFirez

So in your vision we have to re-craft our ghillie suits every time we walk 200m because the foliage changes color?

Pass on that.

Well, sorry that reality doesn't sit well with you, but that's the reason store bought ones are shit and ghillies always make their own. And that's my legitimation for supporting craftable only ghilliesuits in SA. But thanks for just ignoring everything posted before.

I would like to clarify what some people are talking about when they are saying things like you can easily make a ghillie out of foliage, I believe this is referring to a camouflage technique weaving and tieing foliage to your back and helmet such as the Japanese were famous for during WW2 not the traditional ghillie suit others are thinking of.

And they would be correct saying you could do this by simply using foliage an string...

Although I don't like this as my idea was make getting camo ghillie suits harder to attain not easier

Edited by kermo50