Sign in to follow this  
kermo50

Should Gillie suits be a craft-able item only?

I was discussing this idea with a couple of friends and thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

In my personal opinion gillie suits in dayz should be very rare and very difficult to acquire, I personally don't want to see the game turn into a snipe fest like it was in the mod with everyone wearing gillie's and shooting people with op'd snipers from 1k away... If you like doing that that's cool but I think you should be forced to put in a lot of time and effort to find a high powered rifle (I know it's been said that there will be no AS50's thank god) and even more so with a gillie suit.  Also I believe if gillies are craft-able only the player who crafted it should be able to wear it (since it would be custom fitted to the persons size).

Here is a list of some items that could be required to construct a gillie suit and some possible spawn locations;

- A green jumpsuit, found at military areas 

- Fishing line, around ports (to sew it together)

- Sewing needle, found in civilian areas

- Green netting, could either found at ports as fishing net or in military areas as camo netting

- Burlap sacks (multiple)

- Earthy colored dyes, found in civilian area's (to color the burlap sacks camo colors)

- Earthy colored spray paints, found in industrial area's (adds finishing touches to camo)

- Peaked hat 

- Shoe glue, found in industrial area's 

- Camo face paint (not required for to craft suit)

- You could also add a thicker cloth/canvas into the list for knee, elbow & chest pads  

I know that is a lot of items but it's just an idea, items could be taken away or added for balance but if you want realism I would go for something like this (from what I've seen and read). Making it craft-able with items such as this will be another reason for players to team up and help each other because gathering up the materials wouldn't be easy. 

Thoughts?

• Like 8

imo it should be a rare military spawn, but also craftable using the local vegetation

I'd imagine making one from scratch would require netting, string of some sort, and the vegetation (barebones). Sewing really wouldn't be necessary. You could just put branches with leaves on them onto the netting and tie it with string

Also there should be penalties for wearing ghillie suits, such as overheating

Edited by Death Dealer

very nice idea, i would definitely they rather be crafted with a extensive list than just being found somewhere.

List looks nice detailed with all the items needed and spread out as well.

I'd say have 2 different variants. One military grade ghillie which has a spawn chance equivalent to that of an FNX45 holo sight, and another patchwork civilian ghillie which is only craftable. Also make the items required for crafting alot more difficult to find.

i think that maybe you dont need all those items but the more you have the better it looks, for example lets say you dont have the dyes, you can still craft it but it will be very basic, or maybe you only need any type of jumpsuit like a rare civilian jumpsuit if they were a mechanic or whatever? cool idea though its a layer of realism so it should be added imo

i think that maybe you dont need all those items but the more you have the better it looks, for example lets say you dont have the dyes, you can still craft it but it will be very basic, or maybe you only need any type of jumpsuit like a rare civilian jumpsuit if they were a mechanic or whatever? cool idea though its a layer of realism so it should be added imo

I was thinking that myself, maybe you could wear it unfinished and then take it off and add to it once you've found more items...

Ghillie suits should be treasure, not like the mod where each player with a long lifetime had them.

Yes great idea.  Its hard to see peeps as it is, so any inclusion of a ghillie suit should be hard to achieve.

Definitely craftable only with penalties for wearing it. We don't want the game to be full of wookiees.

• Like 1

Definitely craftable only with penalties for wearing it. We don't want the game to be full of wookiees.

Penalties? No...

Only really epic hard to get

ok craftable yes or not.. u need a whole backpack for the items u wrote.. i think that is not gonna happen

All you should need to get is -

1. A Green Hoddie

2. Leaves

3. Duck Tap

= Ghillie Suit

Haha I'd love to see ur ghillie suit.

• Like 1

Should Gillie suits be a craft-able item only?

No...

Should it be craft-able?

ok craftable yes or not.. u need a whole backpack for the items u wrote.. i think that is not gonna happen

Remember cars and tents/bases will come into the game eventually so you could build up your supplies using these as storage.

They shouldn't be put in the game, but if they are, they should be obtained by crafting. 

Ok i am not a big ghillie suit wearing sniper type guy ( i dont play bandit) but this thread has some very big hate for this sort of players lol yeah the mod had far to many of them ...

Id say they should be able to be find as a full item (extremely rare item) and it be nice if they could be crafted as well ( you know wearing one helps you not get shot to even when your not a sniper dude right lol )

I have to ask the people who said should have penalties for wearing them what these penalties would be?? one mentioned heat um yeah ok in a cold section of russia wearing something warm is a problem ????? sounds like a bonus to me and these other ideas of penalties for wearing please step up make some realistic suggestions ( cause frankly it just sounds like guys wanting to penalize guys for no good reason other than they dont like it)

• Like 1

Craftable only. There is no Gillie suits in the army. Each sniper makes their own. It's a hard ass work that takes ages. Only craft able. 

• Like 1

Craftable only. There is no Gillie suits in the army. Each sniper makes their own. It's a hard ass work that takes ages. Only craft able. 

not exactly true these suits can be bought pre made for hunters in general patterns but yes a good sniper will indeed create his own using the materials from the terrian he is going to be hiding in ( can we stop with half truths please).

Its isnt only the army that uses them infact id make a leap and say hunters use of suits actually is more common than military use of said items lol

Edited by SoulFirez

Craftable with the need of approx. 5 different items to produce it. It should also take some time to produce it. Not an animation, but sth like you hold the stuff in your hands and have to move a needle 500 times into the suit in the inventory screen.

Penalties for wearing a ghillie suit:

1. You cannot carry a backpack while wearing the ghillie, so you can only stuff your trousers and probably vest with stuff to go "on a sniping mission".

2. Your water consumption should dramatically increase when moving in a ghillie suit, especially when sprinting, as in: if a liter of water allows you to sprint for 10 minutes with normal clothes, wearing a ghillie would allow you to sprint only 3 minutes in a ghillie.

There should be disadvantages and advantages to every cloth item as in a weight system. The ghillie suit should be the most punishable one.

• Like 1

not exactly true these suits can be bought pre made for hunters in general patterns but yes a good sniper will indeed create his own using the materials from the terrian he is going to be hiding in ( can we stop with half truths please).

Its isnt only the army that uses them infact id make a leap and say hunters use of suits actually is more common than military use of said items lol

If the game did end up having two different variants, one in the loot table and one craft-able, the ghillie that spawns should be a generic hunting one like you say and the craft-able one being far superior for two reasons; 1 for realism, 2 to reward players who went the extra effort to craft their own.