GrumpyGat (DayZ)

CPU or GPU, whats the problem?

Starting to lose my mind. As a streamer and youtuber, FPS is paramount in delivering quality content to my subs, and I have tried countless ways to improve my FPS in DayZ. I am curious if this game is still relying highly on CPU or if the GPU has become a factor. I have a 3770k @ 4.5ghz and a 780ti. My settings are almost rock bottom and I still struggle to hold a decent 25fps. Has anyone had the same experience? Are there particular drivers that are best for this game?

Edited by GrumpyGat

I would like to know this too.  Will my i5 750 + hd 5850 ever be able to run this smooth? Or is one of them too old to keep up? Cpu or gpu?

What are your video settings? You rig is a beast and should be able to handle much more, I get around 40 with most things on very high and have an old i7 950 and a GTX 770. There are a few things in the settings that need to be set to certain things otherwise it'll ruin you FPS. For example if your video memory is set at anything other than default it is capped by the game! Read up on ArmA 2 optimisation and it'll tell you what is needed (Should help with the SA too) :) Hope this helps a little

Edited by Timmymachine109
  • Like 2

It shouldn't be the drivers, I have the latest stable Nvidia drivers and I'm getting very good performance.

I'm running on a Retina Macbook Pro through Bootcamp and the machine only has a 2GB GT750m but it gives me a nice constant 30+ FPS (Normally hovering around 40-50ish) on high (1680x1050)

In cities? Outside cities i run smooth but inside its terrible... does my i5 750 suck so hard? Or is it the 5850?

I've got an i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz and a GTX 780 (non-Ti) and I run at 40-100 FPS on almost max settings. :S

I would have thought you'd be performing a bit better than me... Have you tried disabling HT on that i7? And are those numbers while recording/streaming?

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

sypgQHn.jpg

that's the game at max settings, no dxtory, no streaming. 

barely using anything... I am going to try and migrate my DayZ onto my SSD instead of my 7200rpm drive to see if that makes a lick of difference, but judging by every else's luck I think I am just suffering from the curse of the mountain dew...

Edited by GrumpyGat
  • Like 1

Alright, moved it over to my SSD. The difference is negotiable but the load times are definitely improved. I still can't seem to get that smooth 30 FPS that i'm looking for. even in a small little town with 10 houses

Try dropping object detail and disabling ambient occlusion and post-process. Everything else maxed and 1920x1080 (or your native res). That's what I'm running with the FPS I mentioned earlier.

Also, I'm not running it from my SSD until we're into at least beta and the updates and fewer and further between. So I wouldn't have thought that was the issue.

I'd try disabling hyperthreading in your BIOS, you'll definitely have more luck with utilisation if you just run it as a regular quad-core.

• Like 1

Try dropping object detail and disabling ambient occlusion and post-process. Everything else maxed and 1920x1080 (or your native res). That's what I'm running with the FPS I mentioned earlier.

Also, I'm not running it from my SSD until we're into at least beta and the updates and fewer and further between. So I wouldn't have thought that was the issue.

I'd try disabling hyperthreading in your BIOS, you'll definitely have more luck with utilisation if you just run it as a regular quad-core.

Disabled HT, and changed my settings to what you recommended. It's not bad but still seems way under what it should be considering my specs. I suppose they will eventually optimized the game so I will just stay hopeful until then.

What are the settings in your nvidia control panel? If you have game settings turned down but have the nvidia driver overwriting game settings with ridiculous super maxed out everything performance could suffer by a lot. I have a 780Ti as well as at 1080 with almost everything maxed out, I at worst see ~50fps in large cities. Usually it's a solid 60fps and even upwards of 90 in wooded areas. My nvidia panel settings are close to defaults, so maybe look there.

• Like 1

What are the settings in your nvidia control panel? If you have game settings turned down but have the nvidia driver overwriting game settings with ridiculous super maxed out everything performance could suffer by a lot. I have a 780Ti as well as at 1080 with almost everything maxed out, I at worst see ~50fps in large cities. Usually it's a solid 60fps and even upwards of 90 in wooded areas. My nvidia panel settings are close to defaults, so maybe look there.

Disabled the optimization feature in nvidia and it definitely recovered a few extra frames, but i still cant seem to get the it above 30. Any chance you can send me a screen of your dayz settings so I can try to replicate?

Could it be the fact that I have 3 displays? I am not stretching the game across them mind you but perhaps each display is taking a bit of juice so to speak..

Edited by GrumpyGat

More displays is less frames, maybe try play without the other displays.

Honestly, when you've got a 3Gb card I doubt having extra monitors that aren't running the game will make much of a difference... I doubt DayZ is using more than 2Gb of VRAM.

I use these settings, so I mean... They're turned up quite high, but not completely maxed or anything...

yY9xu8U.png

You could always give some launch parameters a go to try and get a bit more hardware utilisation too...

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxvram=3072 -maxmem=8192

Not sure what the max that you can get DayZ to use is at this point so I just put in everything I have. I know that if you put a value above the max then it just reverts back to max anyways so it can't do you any harm. Also, make sure video memory is set to 'auto' in-game.

• Like 1

Something I didn't notice earlier but your CPU clock speed is only at 1.98GHz. Seeing how DayZ is a bit more CPU heavy than most games I would next look in the BIOS for Intels turbo boost thing and disable it. This will run your CPU at the set clock speed at all times. Anyhow these are my in game settings.

mrwCIY9.png

edit: my nvidia control panel settings are close to what mos1ey posted. If that helps any.

Edited by CaptRandom
  • Like 1

Starting to lose my mind. As a streamer and youtuber, FPS is paramount in delivering quality content to my subs, and I have tried countless ways to improve my FPS in DayZ. I am curious if this game is still relying highly on CPU or if the GPU has become a factor. I have a 3770k @ 4.5ghz and a 780ti. My settings are almost rock bottom and I still struggle to hold a decent 25fps. Has anyone had the same experience? Are there particular drivers that are best for this game?

i have i7 860 and crappy 130 euro gpu from asus. ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA I run smooth 60fps(limited) outside and smooth 34-55 inside cities in a firefight. I followed the guide and played a little bit with resolution. I have no fps issues what so ever. http://dayz.gamepedia.com/File:VideoSettingsGuide.jpg

i went super high on scene complexity. as for view im locked at 3km. If you edit the cfg files, don't forget to make them read only so the game doesnt randomly change them. This will also make your last played server to be the same ( play button ). If you are interested i can just upload my cfg file later when im home from work. 

This is the correct guide to follow : http://dayzintel.com/dayz-standalone/dayz-standalone-performance-guide

Edited by sYs

All I know is the more Video memory and Ram you you have on you're computer the better the game plays.. 

Hello there

Also run DAYZ with the appropriate command lines.

Arma is a weird thing and some settings which one would think give a lower fps may give higher frames.

The best and most dull thing to do is alter your settings one by one and jot down the result.

Contig is a nice defragger which handles directories only.

There's no ONE hard and fast solution really.

Rgds

LoK 

Something I didn't notice earlier but your CPU clock speed is only at 1.98GHz. Seeing how DayZ is a bit more CPU heavy than most games I would next look in the BIOS for Intels turbo boost thing and disable it. This will run your CPU at the set clock speed at all times. Anyhow these are my in game settings.

mrwCIY9.png

edit: my nvidia control panel settings are close to what mos1ey posted. If that helps any.

big thanks to you and Mos1ey for taking the time to help me thus far, I'm gonna give these setting and adjustments a shot and see what happens, fingers crossed.

I don't have my game atm but I'll tell you my settings:

Anti Aliasing - Off

Alpha to coverage - off

HDR quality - low

Ambient Occlusion - off

Post Processing off

Everything else is set to Very High (Apart from video mem set at auto) and then I run the game at 200% of the native resolution. Looks perfect (don't imagine the ArmA engine being able to make it look any better). Try that and see what your FPS is?

Haven't tried increasing the settings that are off because the game looks amazing and things like post processing just make annoying changes!

Edited by Timmymachine109

Alright, the settings that Mos1ey posted are making things a bit worse, and the settings CaptRandom gave me are making the game look amazing, but not having any impact (positive or negative) on my framerate... As for turning off turbo, I did in the bios yet its still running at 1.98 when idle.. its like I can't disable turbo.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason I am having issue may in fact be due to my operating system, windows 8.1. Going to do a partition with win 7 and see if that makes a difference.

somthing is wrong im running a 480 3 gens older of flagship card then you and im getting 50-60 fps in any city with all settings to high my cpu is amd 8350 clocked to 6.5ghz although it drops to like 30fps while streaming

Edited by shister313

Turns out it was 8.1.

Running this game on windows 7 right now and at max settings i'm pushing 80FPS in cherno.

Edited by GrumpyGat
  • Like 1