floj

Fix (not remove) Third Person Perspective

It's not up to you either, honestly. Just because you think PvP with 3PP is shit doesn't mean everyone feels that way. There are countless games that are 3PP oriented with entertaining PvP.

The opinion tags again missing? Sorry for that. There should be a function for that in the forum software.

However, I'm aware that here are many people who like 3PP combat. I'll try to avoid them as good as possible.

Personally I'd like a server queue system so you just choose a region then get put in a full server. Avoiding high player counts in an MMO is just as much an exploit as seeing round corners in a horror game for me.

Perhaps BI should be running dedicated servers themselves as opposed to renting them out to people then? Less servers means more players gather in the remaining ones.

Tommes, particularly DayZ would get boring, just like other bacillion 1st person titles. We don't need yet another one.

I never got bored of a game just because it was 1PP only. Quite the contrary. The availability of certain viewpoints is no issue at all there.

Could they not make it so that other players, zombies and objects etc are not visible over the top of a wall whilst in 3rd person view?

I'm not sure how complex this would be to do, but it would remove the advantage. 

The wall could have an invisible screen that extends beyond the top, and renders everything through it apart from players and zombies. I know this might be impossible to do, but it would work as a fix if it is doable.

As for the cinematic feel for videos in 3rd person,

its great for watching someone's story in DayZ because u connect more seeing the player.

DayZ is your story, not your PVP fight in 1st person mode.

DayZ is not Movie Maker and the stories are mostly pretty lame except for the fights.

Perhaps BI should be running dedicated servers themselves as opposed to renting them out to people then? Less servers means more players gather in the remaining ones.

I'd like that, but it's an ongoing cost for BI...then again once it's out of Alpha I'd probably be happy to subscribe on an annual basis in order for this to happen - a queue system would make sense though since it could also combat server hopping and ghosting...ideas for a different thread though :)

Could they not make it so that other players, zombies and objects etc are not visible over the top of a wall whilst in 3rd person view?

I'm not sure how complex this would be to do, but it would remove the advantage. 

The wall could have an invisible screen that extends beyond the top, and renders everything through it apart from players and zombies. I know this might be impossible to do, but it would work as a fix if it is doable.

Read OP lol - specifically the part about the 4th wall mod for Arma

Sure. But it is one key argument that pops up continuously. Never knew there were so many people suffering from motion sickness by playing 3D games.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying this ain't an issue. I just think some people just became aware of their "disease" since this is been discussed here...

I wondered the very same thing strangely and maybe it is because of the rv engine i dont see alot of people complaining about first person in BF forums ( yes i play bf sometimes i just want to kill blow stuff up do nothing but pvp and that game works for me in those times).

Or is it because they have gotten use to something they have worked into there play style and wont accept change??

I thought the goal was to be able to get us all to play together keeping full servers so it didnt matter if you used 3rd or 1st which with being able to see stuff you shouldnt makes it impossible...

I have seen some ideas that really wouldnt alter 3rd view other than well stop them from seeing what they shouldnt so this motion sickness isnt an issue not having 3rd view isnt an issue Breaking 3rd view how does making it fair = breaking???

Honestly these people will never agree maybe make your own thread why 3rd shouldnt be changed get that one rolling and at the end of the day the devs will do as they want (which may include changing 3rd as there has been some talk by them to do so ) or they may not lol...

Also, whatever type of game you think is being made is going to be drastically changed when they release private hives.

"This game has Pvp, pvp is shit in 3rd person" - Until there are no-pvp enforced servers. Then what of your argument?

There won't be "no PvP servers" in the official hive. It is not part of the DayZ idea to have even "no PvP zones". If ever somebody sets up such private servers I couldn't care less. I will make sure not to join one.

Just remove.

Not really that simple considering it is the most popular way of playing the game. Or at least the 3rd person enabled servers are more popular than 1st person ones.

From a business perspective that would be stupid. I would never have bought DayZ or played the mod or anything if it only had 1st person, it just looks and feels shit in that perspective *in my opinion*. I'm sure many other people play in third person for this reason. Taking away that feature is basically asking all those people to put their wallets away and not bother. Removing a preferred feature from a game is insane if you're thinking about it being a success. Rocket and the devs would have to be incalculably stupid to do that. 

Ergo we need a different solution, something that makes sense realistically.

• Like 1

Funny thing is, that PvP folks is so PvP fixed that as they start a game, only server population counts.

PvP player looks into server browser --> doesn't find any populated 1st person only server --> looks at populated ones --> joins 3rd person enabled server --> ... this repeats 400 times ...  as a result, they don't get one bloody server full --> and PvP player starts complaining***

It works like that. We rather play 3PP:on than alone...because running around in barren Chernarus is boring like fuck. Not even watching the ass of my character model alleviates that boredom. Without player interaction I'd rather play Candy Crush than DayZ.

I'd also like to add that I think "The Fourth Wall" is a pretty nice solution, but after playing ARMA 3, and Day Z today with this on my mind, I realised that a more locked-down 3rd-person view would suffice. It's already been suggested, even by Rocket himself, that the 3rd-person view be changed to something similar to that of Gears of War. I think that alone would solve quite a few problems with 3rd person, but not all of them.

3rd person in its current state is very over-powered, and is seemingly limitless. It gives a very unrealistic amount of situational awareness. At the very least, 3rd-person needs to be nerfed.

Edited by S0UTHPAW
  • Like 1

Well this is your problem. Your a counter strike player trying to play DayZ like counter strike lol

Incase your not aware, YouTube videos made DayZ take off and made random people aware of it.

You wouldn't be here or the SA if it wasn't for great DayZ videos.

Back in the day or early DayZ, encountering people was insane, trying to help people or KOS them made the game.

When DayZ got big players like ya self came and started playing it like cod or any other PVP FPS.

DayZ is not Movie Maker and the stories are mostly pretty lame except for the fights.

• Like 1

Personally I'd like a server queue system so you just choose a region then get put in a full server. Avoiding high player counts in an MMO is just as much an exploit as seeing round corners in a horror game for me.

I really don't get why you don't just play counterstrike or battlefield.

Even though, one of my most intense fights was as we played in Battlefield Bad Company 2 against 2.

I'm slowly getting annoyed from the fact that some just always seems to know how a game has to be played and how not. <_<

As said, if you think the map is too big for you, consider this:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/161252-suggestion-keep-em-separated/?p=1622667

And alow me to, it really sounds like the map is too big for you.

Don't get me wrong, a smaller map would provide you more action.

I absolutely  am conviced that you are playing the wrong game, especially tommes.

That's the root of your pvp problems: map size versus player count.

I know, you'll deny it, because you may believe "map size makes you hardcore". But there's the other voice in your mind: pvp. One doesn't need to be a genius do know when the maps are too big and the player count per area is too low, then you pvp folks is just annoyed.

Edited by Ken Bean

Not really that simple considering it is the most popular way of playing the game. Or at least the 3rd person enabled servers are more popular than 1st person ones.

From a business perspective that would be stupid. I would never have bought DayZ or played the mod or anything if it only had 1st person, it just looks and feels shit in that perspective *in my opinion*. I'm sure many other people play in third person for this reason. Taking away that feature is basically asking all those people to put their wallets away and not bother. Removing a preferred feature from a game is insane if you're thinking about it being a success. Rocket and the devs would have to be incalculably stupid to do that. 

Ergo we need a different solution, something that makes sense realistically.

We had that one already back in the massacre of a thread in September.

• A lot of people play and buy first person only titles.
  • A lot of the DayZ players would deal with 3PP being removed after the initial outcry and just do fine without it.
  • Developers would be forced to improve the 1PP only experience.
  • 1PP in Arma2 or DayZ is not as bad as the 3PP camp wants it to be for the sake of their cause.

But yeah...the kid has already fallen into the well here. People have become so used to 3PP if taken away they would experience a cold turkey. Rocket is aware of that. As it seems he's trying to figure out a way to make more people go a "more hardcore" (his terms) route. We will see. I haven't bought into SA yet anyway. I rather play Farm Heroes Saga for the time beeing.

I'm hoping once they add more zeds that the differences become more obvious to people trying to loot towns... at the moment the 'keep it the same' guys are harping on about PvP all the time since that's all there is in the game.

With more NPC's you'll have a split of 1PP players saying 'Fuck this is awesomely tense trying to sneak around without getting spotted (like Thief 1+2)' and 3PP players saying 'Looting is too easy, we want harder zombies' (Like the shambles that was Thief 3 because they can see around every corner and plan takedowns/avoid everyone of them) - basically the balance issue I'm talking about in OP which seems to be completely ignored by some posters who think it's not broken.

• Like 1

It's funny how only 1st person players are moaning.

Do you hear us crying over getting killed by someone with 3rd person? No because we all have the same tools.

It's not breaking the game, it's not an exploit and it's sure as hell not a cheat.

Funny how no 3rd person complains, only these small % of people playing 1st person.

Now run along to your empty, non entraining PVP servers.

I'm done with this thread, if they can fix the looking over wall shit then good.

But don't ruin something that got millions of people playing it.

• Like 1

Well this is your problem. Your a counter strike player trying to play DayZ like counter strike lol

Incase your not aware, YouTube videos made DayZ take off and made random people aware of it.

You wouldn't be here or the SA if it wasn't for great DayZ videos.

Back in the day or early DayZ, encountering people was insane, trying to help people or KOS them made the game.

When DayZ got big players like ya self came and started playing it like cod or any other PVP FPS.

First of all I'd appreciate if you would leave the quote at the top, as it is standard in discusson boards like this. It's a little weird the other way. Then I'd appreciate if you'd stop making assumptions about my playertype, personality or just at all.

Youtube-Videos brought me to DayZ. It was still relatively fresh then. The existence of 3PP did neither draw me in or drive me away. Perspectives just weren't an issue back in the day. I was, just as the majority of players still is, for a long time oblivious to the problems that the availability of 3PP arises. Then Dyslexi made his excellent video making a very good case which made many more people aware of this. Hopefully the movement is strong enough to ensure good enough availability of 3PP:off servers in the future.

We had that one already back in the massacre of a thread in September.

• A lot of people play and buy first person only titles.
  • A lot of the DayZ players would deal with 3PP being removed after the initial outcry and just do fine without it.
  • Developers would be forced to improve the 1PP only experience.
  • 1PP in Arma2 or DayZ is not as bad as the 3PP camp wants it to be for the sake of their cause.
But yeah...the kid has already fallen into the well here. People have become so used to 3PP if taken away they would experience a cold turkey. Rocket is aware of that. As it seems he's trying to figure out a way to make more people go a "more hardcore" (his terms) route. We will see. I haven't bought into SA yet anyway. I rather play Farm Heroes Saga for the time beeing.
This is the biggest pile of shit I've read.

Hope this is better.

Edited by Skinup69

It's funny how only 1st person players are moaning.

Now run along to your empty, non entraining PVP servers.

I'm done with this thread, if they can fix the looking over wall shit then good.

But don't ruin something that got millions of people playing it.

Basically you missed the point of the entire thread... it's talking about fixing the look over the walls exploit...which you want, yet you're arguing against it...

/facepalm

Okay, here's a solution:

Since 1st person server are less populated and since 1st person player aim for pvp - not survival -, make the mapsize for 1st person locked server smaller.

Smaller map = more pvp = happy 1st person only player

• Like 1

Basically you missed the point of the entire thread... it's talking about fixing the look over the walls exploit...which you want, yet you're arguing against it...

/facepalm

It's true though...but ya it might be fixed somehow I get it but ull still get the idiots moaning.

Again back to the Pvp argument even though I pointed out 3 posts ago:

I'm hoping once they add more zeds that the differences become more obvious to people trying to loot towns... at the moment the 'keep it the same' guys are harping on about PvP all the time since that's all there is in the game.

With more NPC's you'll have a split of 1PP players saying 'Fuck this is awesomely tense trying to sneak around without getting spotted (like Thief 1+2)' and 3PP players saying 'Looting is too easy, we want harder zombies' (Like the shambles that was Thief 3 because they can see around every corner and plan takedowns/avoid everyone of them) - basically the balance issue I'm talking about in OP which seems to be completely ignored by some posters who think it's not broken.

Like arguing with a brick wall

• Like 1

It's true though...but ya it might be fixed somehow I get it but ull still get the idiots moaning.

I only see a couple of idiots moaning about how they love 3PP and those are the ones that don't seem to understand the thread title and content - we're not proposing taking away 3PP, just fixing it to improve gameplay.

Do you want to be scared whilst playing a horror game? Do you want good PvP that doesn't devolve into turtling and waiting for the other person make themselves known whilst you hide in a protected place?

If you answer yes to those, you want 3PP fixed, same as anyone advocating these changes.

• Like 1