Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

Playing this game as an FPS is the worst.

I guess I found a First Person only server just now and I was reminded why everyone switched to Third Person in the first place. Constantly you'll think you're past a door frame, go to turn left or right and suddenly you'll be behind the door frame again, like constantly I'm fighting with getting out of door frames lol. Every time you move around the camera goes all crazy and your arms animate all over the place, it feels like I'm not in control of my character, so clunky. If I turn the FoV up, I get the camera glitching into myself every time I zoom in and out on my gun. If I want to look behind me I constantly have a stupid bag blocking my view.. which might be what the view is in real life, but I hate it. I never feel like I have any peripheral vision in First Person view, why I love Third Person so much because it gives you it like in real life, in First Person, you just feel like you're looking through goggles or something. The worst thing is the clunky movement though, how you do not notice at all if you're jumping over something or not as the camera doesn't change like in every other first person game.

I just hope I can filter them out of the SB.

• Like 2

1st Person player here in any server.

Turn off the blur, and head bob, completely. You will be good then.

Once you get used to it, you will wonder why you liked 3rd person. It has so much more immersion, to be in the grass, or woods, and actually have to worry about LOS (Line of Sight) and knowing your surroundings.

• Like 13

I was excited for 1st person. Tried it but I get so dizzy it's not even funny. So for me, I avoid FPS.

You can turn head bob off in settings.

• Like 1

Personally I like first person, always believed that DayZ should be played that way and don't like how third person gives an advantage like peering over walls etc. But, saying that I have an advantage in that I use Freetrack in game. It's a poor man's (lol) alternative to Track IR and allows me independent control over the view using my head to look around instead of using ALT. This means that I can be running around and looking around while still being able to change direction with the mouse which wouldn't be possible without Freetrack / Track IR. It also allows me to lean in game by leaning in real life, again without any keypresses so on top of the added freedom of movement I have the ALT, Q, and E keys free to bind to other things, although I haven't yet, waiting for added features to be implemented that may need some quick access keybinds.

Doorframes are a pain, always have been in the Arma games unless you had the movement mods of ShackTac but with my setup they are minor annoyances if at all. I'd recommend anyone give Freetrack a try as it's not overly expensive to set yourself up. In my example I bought a second hand Microsoft VX3000 webcam from eBay for £8, a Trackclip Pro (made for Track IR but works for Freetrack) for £20 (which was in a sale, but don't expect to pay over £30 tops), and the software is free. The only downside is it takes a bit to set up and tweak the software and you may (not always) need to remove the IR filter from the webcam. So, £28-£35 for a system that will increase your situational awareness in game without giving you hand cramps. A Track IR setup would cost you at least £150 and although is more sensitive and may perform better, I am more than happy with my Freetrack and could never justify paying £150+ for a negligible increase in quality.

There are many games that support Track IR and most of them will also support Freetrack. I use it in Falcon BMS, DCS World (and A10C), both flight sims that utilize 6 axis (X,Y,Z, Yaw, Pitch, Roll), and Arma 2 which works exactly the same as DayZ (I use the same profile). So there's just one way you can overcome the clunky movement in DayZ / Arma2, plus it gives more immersion, realism, and some may argue an advantage over other players. Search YouTube for Freetrack and see some demonstrations of how it looks. One thing is for sure, I could not go back to playing without it, and sometimes when I'm playing other games I find myself moving my head expecting the view to change, lol.

• Like 1

if you have mouse with extra button bind 'look' feature to this ;)

is take maybe 30 minutes for get used

after is second nature and make 1st person more easy and increase awareness 100% :thumbsup:  :)

• Like 1

I never feel like I have any peripheral vision in First Person view, why I love Third Person so much because it gives you it like in real life.

http://youtu.be/v7zoVIsIT2A?t=1m24s

While i understand that is clunky, the argument of peripheral vision is just a justification, as explained in the video i posted, it's not a solution. a solution to have larger awareness of the enviroment should be use of the occulus rift or triple monitor setup, not third person.

i agree that it is indeed more practical, but i think the main problem in rooms is that everybody keeps running insiode of houses.

instead of rushing everytime and everywhere, try to walk and use the shift button to jog, you will be amazed. guaranteed.

Edited by Paranoize

DayZ + first person + elevation = falling death.

Personally, I use 3rd person for times of awareness and travel ... when I get into situations where I need to shoot or whatnot, that's when I switch to first person perspective.  Both views are necessary IMO.

Edited by Caelib
  • Like 3

I've been playing on 1st person only servers lately and I honestly like it better than 3rd person.

3rd person to me is really cheap and kind of cheating since you can peak over walls and around corners with complete safety and can see stuff without having an actual LOS.

• Like 1

1ps is great, but its not optimezed yet, i cant play 1ps when its dropping fps every few seconds, laggy, unresponsive, etc. When they will optimize that it will run fluently then its gonna be great.

Edited by onlyomaha

Oh I love first person especially when fighting indoors. The peoples reaction when they realize they are being stalked is priceless.

1ps is great, but its not optimezed yet, i cant play 1ps when its dropping fps every few seconds, laggy, unresponsive, etc. When they will optimize that it will run fluently then its gonna be great.

How would first person cause more lag / stutters than 3rd? If anything there is less strain on your system as the game doesn't have to render your character along with all it's textures at full detail in 1st. Maybe I'm missing something here.

i never saw any decent argument against 1st person ever :D

"but i wanna see my character!"

yeah well press tab and u'll see it.

FOV is the same, framerate is the same (if not a tiny bit better), its much more immersive and less cheap

just remember to turn of the head-bobbing - it can be very straining.

but well this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zoVIsIT2A says all that needs to be said

Edited by volano
  • Like 1

I agree op running into doorways in 1st person view is a pain, but I enjoy playing. you gotta pull the camera back press the "-" key & then adjust your FOV and it's pretty sweet, apart from the doorways that is lol..

if you have mouse with extra button bind 'look' feature to this ;)

is take maybe 30 minutes for get used

after is second nature and make 1st person more easy and increase awareness 100% :thumbsup:  :)

that is actually a really good idea. 

I guess I found a First Person only server just now and I was reminded why everyone switched to Third Person in the first place. Constantly you'll think you're past a door frame, go to turn left or right and suddenly you'll be behind the door frame again, like constantly I'm fighting with getting out of door frames lol. Every time you move around the camera goes all crazy and your arms animate all over the place, it feels like I'm not in control of my character, so clunky. If I turn the FoV up, I get the camera glitching into myself every time I zoom in and out on my gun. If I want to look behind me I constantly have a stupid bag blocking my view.. which might be what the view is in real life, but I hate it. I never feel like I have any peripheral vision in First Person view, why I love Third Person so much because it gives you it like in real life, in First Person, you just feel like you're looking through goggles or something. The worst thing is the clunky movement though, how you do not notice at all if you're jumping over something or not as the camera doesn't change like in every other first person game.

I just hope I can filter them out of the SB.

Well.

Yep first person sucks balls pretty hard. This is perhaps the only reason I play in third person to begin with in both the mod and standalone, regardless of camera tricks. 

Third person is a cheat by default. Look behind corners - lol. I avoid 3PP:ON like crazy. 

Edited by sYs

/shrug

I have absolutely no problem playing in first person. It's pretty damn easy to get used to.. 

Ultimately, the change in the feel of the game and knowing someone can't be 3rd person wall hacking (for lack of a better term) makes it soooooooooo much better.

• Like 1

In real life you can peak round things using a mirror, reflections or just poking your head out slightly. You cannot do this in games as you don't have the pure one to one controls as you do over your own body in real life. So I just see third person and looking over or around objects as a way to offer this as first person feels far more restrictive than real life.