Sign in to follow this  
Mullucka

Suggestion - Board up existing houses

I know the devs are talking about some underground player built houses or something, sounds kinda crap i reckon. Would be cool to be able to secure existing buildings, board up the windows, lock the doors.

But all you really need is a place to stash all that gear so place-able ammo crates/boxes would be a good idea too.

I think it'd be cool if you were carrying a box in your hands but would need to drop it to get your gun out.

okay..so.. you take hammer, nails & woodplanks and secure the building, and then ?
everytime you want to get in the building you need to axe the shit out of the building tio get in, just to close it again ?
.. and after a month you have a chernarus that is full of boarded up houses ..
no, thank you
i imho like the bunker/underground-idea and am happy if we wll be able to build NEW houses and maybe someday be able to garden/farm and grow crops.
so many plans from rocket .. so little patches

whatever ..
if you want to board up houses, go play Project Zomboid..no offence

But all you really need is a place to stash all that gear so place-able ammo crates/boxes would be a good idea too.

I think it'd be cool if you were carrying a box in your hands but would need to drop it to get your gun out.

.. did you miss something ?
there ARE ammoboxes that take 4 squares of inventoryspace and contain 10 squares of space for ammo
also there are these yellow boxes wich are 4 to 6 slots
you can put them on the ground or in your hands to get your gun, or whatever, out of it..
so, allready ingame mate   ;)
and more is to come

Edited by dawud

Good idea but those buildings would be the primary target for players once they are found. But first they have to be sure the zeds don't glitch through placed items.

i have an fireaxe .. no need to board yourself in guys .. i´ll be in there in a minute

• Like 1

Yeah, you should be able to fireaxe/chainsaw your way through.

Before raging about the suggestion, try to add something to it to tweak it so it becomes more balanced.

Imagine you have a zombie horde following you, you should be able to run inside a house and make improvised barricades such as nailing planks over doors, windows etc.

It`s great for the intensity and sandbox style of the game, and also adds another incentive to carry a meele wep around instead of as many guns as possible.

Breaking News!!!!

Today in Electro thousands of players where killed... Alegedly after being axed in the back while boarding up a house containg all of their weapons, food and blowup dolls.  Live on the scene Greg is interviewing one of the bandits commiting this murder, over to you Greg.

"Hello Mary, I am here with a bandit who goes by the alias "EdwardAxeHands" guess he couldn't find the space bar Mary, So Ed what made you resort to axing defenseless people in the back while they where boarding up their supplies?"

"uh well..  It kinda started out that we would ahh.. wait for the people to leave and then we'd axe our way in and steal their supplies, but uh I got shot by the owners a couple of times so then we just thought hey why don't we just kill them to protect ourselves, turns out it's faster too because we don't need to open it if we arrive at the right time"

"And there you have it Mary the new generation of bandits murdering people in cold blood welcome to the apocalopse"

• Like 1

I know the devs are talking about some underground player built houses or something, sounds kinda crap i reckon. Would be cool to be able to secure existing buildings, board up the windows, lock the doors.

Ya we'll probably begin to see stuff like this when the player built structures are integrated.

I'd prefer the ability to make a lean-to in the forest which behaves like a tent, all the player would need would be an axe and rope.

okay..so.. you take hammer, nails & woodplanks and secure the building, and then ?

everytime you want to get in the building you need to axe the shit out of the building tio get in, just to close it again ?

.. and after a month you have a chernarus that is full of boarded up houses ..

no, thank you

i imho like the bunker/underground-idea and am happy if we wll be able to build NEW houses and maybe someday be able to garden/farm and grow crops.

so many plans from rocket .. so little patches

whatever ..

if you want to board up houses, go play Project Zomboid..no offence

.. did you miss something ?

there ARE ammoboxes that take 4 squares of inventoryspace and contain 10 squares of space for ammo

also there are these yellow boxes wich are 4 to 6 slots

you can put them on the ground or in your hands to get your gun, or whatever, out of it..

so, allready ingame mate   ;)

and more is to come

can you stash it? no you have to carry it on you

Edited by Crakka

Cool idea (as seen in State of Decay) but yeah obvious major problems due to other players (banditos). Obviously also requires walls to be a barrier to zombies first too. I would love to see a feature like this I'm worried that it would require game breaking extra mechanics to make it work. Although semipersistence might do it. I might start a thread on this...

Edited by Roshi

Great idea. Would allow for clan territory wars as well.

What if a lot of houses were already boarded up to a degree? With boards that could be hacked apart but at the cost of potentially zombie-attracting loud noise? Would make player boarded houses less obvious, and might dissuade other pkayers from moving through a town hacking open every house they see, but still have the danger of losing your stash (/finding someone else's).

I think the only way boarded up houses would work would be if they had to be constantly maintained, so it became a daily job. Otherwise I think you would find the majority of houses boarded up on a busy server as has been said... Also there would have to be a way of entering them by other players (obviously you wouldnt be able to board up high value loot spawns) so it seems a little pointless to me.

Maybe if only certain house types (or even only one type) could be boarded.

Edited by Jamz

would be a terrible idea on the hive as all you would have to do is swap server to one that has the house not boarded up get inside then swap back to the original hive then loot your ass off! tents would be a better idea or be able to craft a lockable shed 

this idea simply is a no go because the loots would not be accessible to allot of ppl, yeah sure we unboard the house but still not everyone would have axe or crow bar. If every house is board in the end no one would be to have access to their because they dont have those tools 

Edited by reapers239

So many dayz issues would be sorted by limiting each character to one server. I know there are down sides but would make a lot of sense.