SuperCharged

Leveling up

I was thinking of a leveling up system, where the longer you survive, the more xp you get. Also, when you kill zombies you should get xp to level up as well. I don't think killing players should give xp because that would encourage others to just kill on sight, but I do think a leveling system should be added so others can gauge each other's skill (maybe also skill points given per level?). What do you guys think?

Not sure xp is the way to go but the game clearly needs some incentive and/or character development to save its metagame from being only slightly more sophisticated than that of UT2004.

Edited by Mookzen

And since what you are suggesting is a boring old MMO why not put tons of DLC in too?

I kidd. That is not the path DayZ will ever follow thank Bob.

Welcome ;)

Of course, leveling adds some features to a game. But I don't expect leveling as seen in other games being a milestone to reach with DayZ. From what I read over the years, more and more realism is the goal.

So creatively seen, you actually are already leveling while playing the game. You get to learn things like opening a can of tuna with a wrench proves way more difficult than opening a head with the same tool. You learn that there's a 20-minute difference between 'NEAF' and 'NWAF'. You will learn that being social might not keep you alive - and so on.

I could well imagine that the greatest addition to DayZ would actually be to make things like the DayZ-wiki or the map resources impossible - so that you constantly learn the only thing that lasts in DayZ: you playing your character.

I was thinking of a leveling up system, where the longer you survive, the more xp you get. Also, when you kill zombies you should get xp to level up as well. I don't think killing players should give xp because that would encourage others to just kill on sight, but I do think a leveling system should be added so others can gauge each other's skill (maybe also skill points given per level?). What do you guys think?

No. 

What will the XP do? How will you know your XP?

What is the f*cking point of having leveling in a sandbox where you make your own story?

Exactly, there is not a f*cking point.

Edited by Dchil

Oh please God!... Absolutely not!

wait wat ? wit is gonna be replaced by XP?

what is this..barbies dreamhouse ?  I CLAW YOUR FUCKING FACE OFF !

*additinaly disaproovingly nods at red orchestra 2. ´.. for Killing flour ...FINE....

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

There already is a leveling up system. You go from Fresh Spawn, to guy with axe and some basic clothing, to a militaryesc looking mother fucker with an M4, a tactical shirt, vest, a huge backpack, and  a gask mask. :)

Of course, leveling adds some features to a game. But I don't expect leveling as seen in other games being a milestone to reach with DayZ. From what I read over the years, more and more realism is the goal.

So creatively seen, you actually are already leveling while playing the game. You get to learn things like opening a can of tuna with a wrench proves way more difficult than opening a head with the same tool. You learn that there's a 20-minute difference between 'NEAF' and 'NWAF'. You will learn that being social might not keep you alive - and so on.

I could well imagine that the greatest addition to DayZ would actually be to make things like the DayZ-wiki or the map resources impossible - so that you constantly learn the only thing that lasts in DayZ: you playing your character.

I really like this, and I think you're right. I'm just trying to think of ways a player may be rewarded for long term survival but everything you find and build is the incentive itself.

I'm just trying to think of ways a player may be rewarded for long term survival but everything you find and build is the incentive itself.

Well, 'humanity' was an interesting approach back in the mod - meaning that if you kill a lot of players, you would spawn as a bandit, easily to be mistrusted by other players. Nevertheless, these things got quickly obsolete when you found a suit that would disguise you. So yeah, I absolutely agree. Think of only you knowing certain recipies or places! Ah, the internets, curse and salvation at once.

No levels, but something like debug monitor from the mod, that shows us 

Day survived:

Zombies killed:

Bandits killed:

Murders: 

And there shouldn't be any skill points, you would get better at something by doing it many times, like bandaging yourself 10 times results in faster bandaging, more you run higher stamina you have etc

Edited by Gdaddy22

No levels, but something like debug monitor from the mod, that shows us 

Day survived:

Zombies killed:

Bandits killed:

Murders: 

And there shouldn't be any skill points, you would get better at something by doing it many times, like bandaging yourself 10 times results in faster bandaging, more you run higher stamina you have etc

Eh, the days survived was no good. For one it showed the days your character existed, NOT how long you actually survived. Lame as hell. I would love to see stats but much more in depth. Hours and minutes survived and ONLY the time in game. That way if leaderboards are implemented you cant just surge to the top by creating a fresh spawn, not moving him an inch and logging out for 2 months. Sadly, plenty of people would rather do this than play to get to the top of leaderboards. I cant even begin to understand but people love to cheat. 

Oh please no.... The current system is the far better than any leveling system would be imho. I'd rather not have people who simply grind out the hours have their stats padded to the point of becoming wyatt earp with a magnum. If you want to get better at certain things in game, shooting for example, you just do it more, and of course like in RL, you become better at it.

There already is a leveling up system. You go from Fresh Spawn, to guy with axe and some basic clothing, to a militaryesc looking mother fucker with an M4, a tactical shirt, vest, a huge backpack, and  a gask mask. :)

Just want to point it out, you know, just to be absolutely clear: THE GAS MASK IS OPTIONAL.

Thank you, now back to your bickering...

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Well to be fair i think i remember rocket saying that characters starts to grow beard, every pixel of that awesome beard would be all the exp i need!

• Like 1