Slyguy65

Rewarding players for actually staying alive and surviving.

I would expect the dev-team to avoid all things like gaining virtual experience or improvement. Following the idealism from the mod to the standalone, the only thing to 'level' is you, playing your character: learning which tools to use for which cause, getting to know the area and the map etc.

Of course, this is almost impossible with resources like wikis or maps.

Great suggestions imho - I would welcome it. I just think it won't be implemented.

I like this whole idea of you being the charachter and all but you can obviously only have so much immersion in to a game and if you really wanted to make it authenthic or realistic as dean says he wants than he has to consider throwing in some characteristics because if it will be like this in the final game then your character is just as soulless as the ones in skyrim for example who is just a random Dragonborn-dude/gall who nobody really seems to care about and all the players cares about is just getting the best gear.

Whole thing that was always going on in DayZ was that people want everything for themselves, so to counter people killing others and endangering themselves losing their stuff you should give them even more stuff that is theirs, something that is unique to their character and is very hard to aquire in the game.

Also the trailer showed that you could commit suicide, or it hinted at it as an option at least. I think it should be nerfed like hell to keep people from just killing themselves because they spawned in the east or something. It's either that or making all parts of the map equally intresting which can be an option but my suggestion would be to just make military loot very scarce and ammo very random so you are forced to take a look at other places. If we want this game to become anything different from the mod, which is basically arma 2 with a touch of paranoia than we should force the game rules upon them harder instead of letting them take total control.

Edited by Aseliot
  • Like 1

Please also add:

You take more than 3000 in fall damage within the first fist 5 minutes of playing, you spawn on Skalisty Island.

You get killed by zombies within the first 5 minutes of playing, you spawn on Skalisty Island.

If you continue to kill yourself, you spawn in the water south of Skalisty Island in 500 meter increments.

Me killing myself has no effect on your gameplay at all. So what is your problem?

No...

In the mod we had some text appear each time we logged in stating your location (Chernerus or Namalsk etc) along with Day 0 or Day 1, 2, 3 etc...

Ultimately I'd like to see male character growing beards which they have a choice/chance to shave.

Given the terrible aim/bullet dispersion in the SA so far we could see this being on account of you being an un-trained civilian but as you use weapons more or as your character gets older the accuracy on weapons increases as if your skill goes up.

You get a higher chance of cooking better quality food and crafting better quality items as you do it (learning).

Alternatively if this is too hard to code into this game then we could have Steam achievements for goals like:

Serial Killer - 25 player kills

Mass Murderer - 100 player kills

Zombie Hunter - 100 zombie kills

Zombie Slayer - 200 zombie kills

Survivor - 5 days without dying

Veteran Survivor - 20 days without dying

etc...

And when I say days I think it was the number of times you logged into the server after 24 hours had passed or on separate dates.

So logging into the server on a character then re-logged still counted as one day, but the next day if I logged in it would count as a different day.... basically the setup the mod had.

No... they shouldn't.... This is DayZ... don't get it, get out.

I don't agree with killing "fresh spawns" or "unarmed players" BUT we only have the alpha state of the game to blame for this right now.

Why?

Spawns are too close together creating an easy hunting ground for "bambi killers".

Military loot is available on the coast.

Civilian weapons besides the Mosin (I have only ever found one, compared to maybe... 10 M4A1s, 5 Magnums and 2 other pistols) have not yet been added.

If the devs removed the Balota military grade loot spawns and limited that stuff to the NWAF, NEAF and certain other north or central military bases, spread out the spawns around the coast (avoiding the north east) and added in civilian weaponry evenly spread in logical locations like farm weapons in barns, occasional civilian weapon in the mansions, hunting gear in the hunting nests and rifles in the offices, police/fire stations etc.. then players have a chance to survive more, people have a reason to go north and it will be harder to kill "bambis" as they can more easily find a weapon to defend themselves with.

no im sorry sir you are wrong day is a survival game it says so in the notes not a pure pvp deathmatch...so your worng and you please leave if your gonna be rude like a child.

• Like 1

so.. beards and stat tracking. i am all for stat tracking. i am a stat tracking whore. i would love a journal section with entries like:

Successful Hits with <Fire Axe> against <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> : 3402

Failed Attacks with <Fire Axe> against <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> : 15752

Killed <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> with <Fire Axe> : 54 times

tracked stats for bragging rights: absolutely d'accord.

but skills? leveling up? please leave peacefully. feel free to join me in one of the many, many well-executed character-focused RPGs out there, which i also enjoy. But this has no place in DayZ.

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

I'm all for hidden skill trees, that gradually advance through repeated use of an action. (Better accuracy after using guns for a while, faster/longer running, greater melee hit damage)

Also, run more and eat less? NO PROBLEM! (There's no food to eat anyway...)

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 2

I'd be fine with some passive invisible increase in efficiency as you use a skill more and more.

Really though I want the "days survived" ticker to come back.

• Like 2

no im sorry sir you are wrong day is a survival game it says so in the notes not a pure pvp deathmatch...so your worng and you please leave if your gonna be rude like a child.

Yep like i said earlier the best evidence that this is a SURVIVAL game is the dayz mod site...the leaderboards are all centered around DAYS survived PEOPLE alive PEOPLE dead the main stat is average life....but alas.

so.. beards and stat tracking. i am all for stat tracking. i am a stat tracking whore. i would love a journal section with entries like:

Successful Hits with <Fire Axe> against <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> : 3402

Failed Attacks with <Fire Axe> against <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> : 15752

Killed <Fluffy Bunny, Grey> with <Fire Axe> : 54 times

tracked stats for bragging rights: absolutely d'accord.

but skills? leveling up? please leave peacefully. feel free to join me in one of the many, many well-executed character-focused RPGs out there, which i also enjoy. But this has no place in DayZ.

You need to read. There is no LEVEL up there is no particular skills you simply learn to be more effecient with certain actions the more you do them. Nothing stupid or made up like +3 defense or +5 bullet protection NO. The idea presented in the thread states clearly that only organic progression is the point. Its realistic and natural for people to get better at the things they do the longer they do them. If I use and craft medical supplies for a living on my current life its only natural my character that life becomes more and more adept at using medical gear.

The whole point of standalone was to BUILD upon the limited mod. If people aren't willing to add depth to the game then why did you bother buying the standalone if you want it to be exactly like the mod go play the mod.

Edited by Slyguy65
  • Like 1

EDIT*

To be clear since i see people poking holes. YOU DO NOT GET PASSIVE PERKS FROM DOING NOTHING.

If that is the case i would like you to go more in depth with your "resilience to weather" idea. Will you have to physically RUN around in these harsh climates in order to better it..? Etc etc.

Also, in terms of your 'passive' perks, increased health needs to be taken off that list. In my opinion.

Great ideas for the most part.

Edit: I also see you say The idea presented in the thread states clearly that only organic progression is the point. 

If that is the case, then an increase in health over time is a serious problem...

Edited by Flight96

op still has great points and i dont agree with hp regen either thats bad you sohuld have to eat drink and rest to regen blood

• Like 1

[..]

The whole point of standalone was to BUILD upon the limited mod. If people aren't willing to add depth to the game then why did you bother buying the standalone if you want it to be exactly like the mod go play the mod.

The whole point of this discussion is the fear of a disappointing endgame. For reasons.

You need to read. There is no LEVEL up there is no particular skills you simply learn to be more effecient with certain actions the more you do them. Nothing stupid or made up like +3 defense or +5 bullet protection NO. The idea presented in the thread states clearly that only organic progression is the point. Its realistic and natural for people to get better at the things they do the longer they do them. If I use and craft medical supplies for a living on my current life its only natural my character that life becomes more and more adept at using medical gear.

levels are merely milestones within progression. and in my opinion there is no place for character progression within DayZ, no matter how hidden or gradual or 'organic'. thats all it is, my personal opinion .

that said, maybe i am wrong. maybe i would love it once its properly implemented, opinions change. maybe you'd hate it once its implemented. all i can say is that currently, i am - humbly, politely but firmly - against the introduction of character progression in this game.

Edited by e47
  • Like 2

Anything that makes the stakes of death higher is good in my book. 

• Like 2

When score boards comes, survived hours/days should be on top of the list and not kill, deaths and K/D.

I'd love that, but it'd probably just have people who made their own private servers to avoid other players.

Edited by Tara505

I'd enjoy that. Only natural that if you fire a gun over and over, and continue using it day after day, that you'd get better at using it. Or like when fitness training; the more you train, the better you get at what you train with. Running is 'tough' at first, but eventually, in real life, you can run for quite a while without too much difficulty, so why not in the survival game?

Thing is, private severs that only have one man in it to boost his skills could be a problem. 

Great ideas mate!

I'd been thinking similarly, at least in regards to your character becoming somewhat more fit and healthy.

Great ideas mate!

I'd been thinking similarly, at least in regards to your character becoming somewhat more fit and healthy.

Were already crazy fit, look how far we can run with all this ectra crap on us no less.

Were already crazy fit, look how far we can run with all this ectra crap on us no less.

it comes at a price though, we need to eat 8kg beans every thirty minutes..

rat you have no idea really what your talking about...the only reason you think that is because max planck the so called mod goes around banning and deleting post about pve and such he does not like so you have to dig around to find anything...but whats funny every time he deletes something or bans someone over the pve thing the person he bans gets massive amounts of beans from the community...

so yes pve has a very vocal community in dayz its just been drown out because certain mods are biased towards pve and thoset certain mods only care about pvp...therefore threads get buried and posters get banned for posting what they want to see added outside of pvp...

As of late it appears that you have been making wild accusations and conclusions about how some moderators, if not all, conduct themselves on the forums. As a result of this, it appears also you have not read and/or understood the Rules, Roles and Guidelines, in which it explicitly says to contact Boneboys if you have any problem(s) with a moderator, as seen here:

Moderators:

We are people like the rest of you and we are all susceptible to emotions and 16 hour days. Moderators will treat everyone equally, which includes other moderators. Should it be felt that the moderators are overstepping their boundaries, please contact them or Boneboys directly via PM; at most parts of the day, moderators are very friendly people and should be willing to listen. However please refrain from posting it publicly if it involves only a single moderator as it usually ends up turning into a bashing session and would just end up with everyone in the shits.

The next time you send Boneboys a personal message, please include evidence and instances where said moderator(s) have overstepped their boundaries. Most importantly, however, read the rules and guidelines before posting.

On-topic.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 3

i think its a good idea.  Imo take out the forever sprint everyone has.  You can spawn on east coast and just sprint all the way to the airfield.  Making it to where you could run farther the longer your alive would be a great idea.

• Like 1

i think its a good idea.  Imo take out the forever sprint everyone has.  You can spawn on east coast and just sprint all the way to the airfield.  Making it to where you could run farther the longer your alive would be a great idea.

Ya if they took out forever sprint and relied on people to build up longer sprint times that would definately be interesting.

• Like 1

op still has great points and i dont agree with hp regen either thats bad you sohuld have to eat drink and rest to regen blood

Ya HP regen does exist, its just complicated right now since you have to be FULL and get the healthy status, but HP regen exists in the way you desecribe they need to eat/drink.

Good ideas 

Visual indication of aged survivors.

A  beard and hair that grows as your character ages.