Sign in to follow this  
theginger (DayZ)

Dayz lags when recoding! Please help

Hello,

I am having a problem in Dayz where I simply can not record, I have used Fraps and DXtory to record yet neither of them seem to be able to maintain a steady 60fps I normally get without recording. I record of a different hard drive and play on another (both hard drives are WD Black) yet when I seem to record I am getting major frame drops to around 30fps - 45fps. If I attempt to record in other games such as Battlefeild 4, Farcry 3 etc it is fine. Furthermore I normally record at 30fps 1080p yet I can't even record at 720p 24fps without huge frame drops.

Here are my system specs:

Cpu: Intel i7 3770K 3.5ghz

Gpu: AMD XFX HD 7770

RAM: 8GB corsair 1600MHz

HDD: WD Black 1TB (x2)

I my self believe it is my graphics card as it is showing signs of ageing, but if anyone can confirm this that would be great! 

Thanks, Kieran.

P.S it is fine when I live stream at 720p.

Something else is the matter I think, not your PC. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about streaming or recording gameplay footage.

I know, I know.. I'm of great help :)

Bandicam works really well with recording Day Z and has no performance impact for me when I am recording in game.

Eh I have over clocked my gpu slightly and I did get a few extra frames, I also tried Bandicam and again I still had a dramatic drop in frames. I am going to upgrade my GPU in a months time and see what happens. Should be getting the gtx 770 or 780 :P

I see that you have two WD Blacks. Are you recording on to the one that isn't running the game?

I see that you have two WD Blacks. Are you recording on to the one that isn't running the game?

Yes, the game is on my main hard drive and the other I use to keep my videos and to record on.

Fraps for one is the worse of the bunch as far as FPS drop I've found. I am using Bandicam atm and had to experiment with the settings in order to get video without major FPS drops but decent video quality. With the settings I have now I get about a 3 to 5 FPS drop when recording with Bandicam. I was getting up to a 10-15 FPS drop before messing around with the settings. Obviously my settings may not work for someone, so it's best to experiment with various settings or maybe even a preset in Bandicam will work for you.

I'm working with an older i7-3770 quad core as well, AMD 7870 GPU, 16gigs of DDR3. Recording to an external USB 3.0 2TB drive.

Settings currently in Bandicam:

Video: 1280x720

FPS: 30

Codec: MPEG-1

Quality: 90

Audio:

Channels: Stereo

Frequency: 44100

Codec: MPEG-1 L2

Bitrate: 160

I do think any software video recorder will have some kind of FPS drop, some worse than others. The only real way to relieve FPS drop is to get an external or an internal hardware video recorder. I did have a Live Gamer Portable I was using that was brilliant until it bricked, will be looking at an internal card soon.

Fraps for one is the worse of the bunch as far as FPS drop I've found. I am using Bandicam atm and had to experiment with the settings in order to get video without major FPS drops but decent video quality. With the settings I have now I get about a 3 to 5 FPS drop when recording with Bandicam. I was getting up to a 10-15 FPS drop before messing around with the settings. Obviously my settings may not work for someone, so it's best to experiment with various settings or maybe even a preset in Bandicam will work for you.

I'm working with an older i7-3770 quad core as well, AMD 7870 GPU, 16gigs of DDR3. Recording to an external USB 3.0 2TB drive.

Settings currently in Bandicam:

Video: 1280x720

FPS: 30

Codec: MPEG-1

Quality: 90

Audio:

Channels: Stereo

Frequency: 44100

Codec: MPEG-1 L2

Bitrate: 160

I do think any software video recorder will have some kind of FPS drop, some worse than others. The only real way to relieve FPS drop is to get an external or an internal hardware video recorder. I did have a Live Gamer Portable I was using that was brilliant until it bricked, will be looking at an internal card soon.

These settings did help thanks although again my fames where flickering but not as bad. I have thought about getting a internal video recorder but right now I really do need a new graphics card and I believe Nvidia have a feature where you can record with no effect in performance. 

These settings did help thanks although again my fames where flickering but not as bad. I have thought about getting a internal video recorder but right now I really do need a new graphics card and I believe Nvidia have a feature where you can record with no effect in performance. 

You could also try to use the GPU Codec and see if that helps.

The Nvidia feature is called Shadowplay but it only records up to the last 20 minutes of gameplay so it is a bit limited.

The Nvidia feature is called Shadowplay but it only records up to the last 20 minutes of gameplay so it is a bit limited.

Yeah thats what its called xD I used the CPU Codec and I didn't get any frame issues at all but in the recording it did lag a little but wasn't too bad. I think I will just wait until I get my new GPU and tell you if it has fixed my problem :)

My bet is on the HDD, i have myself a WD (they are good, especially the "server"-class) what is the "write-speed" of them? (Exactly those who you have, no other revision) Also what are the timings of your ram? I suggest a SSD for recording, if the recording is done you can still swap the data to a HDD.

Edited by AlphaX

MSIAfterburnr? I did use that and only took about 5-10fps loss using the lossless codec. But now I use shadowplay since I have a GTX 700. Takes 0 FPS hits. Can record for as long as you want.

Ditched Fraps for Bandicam and haven't looked back, since Fraps hit the FPS way too hard. Can't use shadow play as I have a 560 Ti so it won't run on it, but funny thing is Bandicam is basically doing the same damned thing.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Hey there!

Been a long time from when I posted on this, I would like to say I have fixed the problem! I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 780 GainWard Phantom and now I can record with DXtory with just about 5 frames difference but Shadow play seems to have no performance hit what so ever. Here are some quick benchmarks in this video from recording with Shadow Play xD

You can record a lot more than the last 20 mins of gameplay on Shadowplay if you set it to manual, then you just hit alt+f9 to start and stop recording

Bandicam works really well with recording Day Z and has no performance impact for me when I am recording in game.

Yep, my PC is lower spec'd. My current card is only a 5870 + i5.. but a steady 40-60 fps & bandicam works great.