crazyandlazy

What are your thoughts on camping snipers at Balota?

I got killed by them while walking right past them yesterday. I managed to kill one but got killed by his friend 5 mins later because I was looting his body.

Some folks have very limited imagination as what they can do in this game.

Plus it being alpha (limited options) makes it only harder.

• Like 10

Personally? With no other point in the game it's pretty entertaining

• Like 4

Don't go to Balota if you aren't looking for a fight. I've been there about 15 times since SA came out and I'd say i've been shot at or had a firefight 14/15 of those times. I feel safer going to NWAF 

• Like 4

at least they dont have dmrs and as50s

Some folks have very limited imagination as what they can do in this game.

Plus it being alpha (limited options) makes it only harder.

The mod shows clearly even with tons of options these kind of players can't do anything else either...alpha beta gamma omega or whatever.

• Like 4

The mod shows clearly even with tons of options these kind of players can't do anything else either...alpha beta gamma omega or whatever.

I guess. Still I hope once we will get cars and some other stuff to do, some folks will see the light and leave Balota :).

Don't go to Balota if you aren't looking for a fight. I've been there about 15 times since SA came out and I'd say i've been shot at or had a firefight 14/15 of those times. I feel safer going to NWAF 

Thing is I was at end game gear trying to deliver goods to other players. I should have listened to my head but was too lazy so I went up the mountain above Balota. Got sniped there. It made me a bit upset cause they weren't really that good/they aren't pros. They had to shoot me at least 10 times to kill me. They missed a lot and if I had know there were two I would have killed them both instead of just one. 

Sniping was a good way to farm items in the mod, it's stupid right now in the alpha. In the mod I used to make some trap, like a car in the middle of the field, and then just snipe everyone who flls for it. My "spotter" (guy with boniculars watching the area and informing me if someone's coming) would secure the area. When there was 3-4 bodies on the ground I would get up, run to the car, loot the items, remove the bodies and come back to my sniping spot. 

If you can loot who you sniped then it's good, but sniping just for lol is retarded.

Also it requires tons of items to get in the game, because sniping just for can opener and mosin ammo is stupid

Edited by Gdaddy22

Sniping was a good way to farm items in the mod, it's stupid right now in the alpha. In the mod I used to make some trap, like a car in the middle of the field, and then just snipe everyone who falls for it. My "spotter" (guy with boniculars watching the area and informing me if someone's coming). When there was 3-4 bodies on the ground I would get up, run to the car, loot the items, remove the bodies and come back to my sniping spot. 

If you can loot who you sniped then it's good, but sniping just for lol is retarded.

Yeah completely agree. I don't mind getting killed when they wanted to loot me but these two dudes were sniping people just to "kill" people. I am going to learn the usual spots just so I can kill these kind of jerks.

Everybody hates a sniper, but when you're geared out and have all the food/water/ammo you want.. the only thing left to do is help newbies, hunt bandits, or kill.

Helping newbies carries risk and no reward. You risk your life to give away items. Very helpful and nice, but doing this solo is dangerous.

Hunting bandits is very high risk but with high reward (their stuff). I've tried this and died every time, need a group or don't bother.

Sniping is low risk but high reward through entertainment (isn't that what games are for?) Yes it's not entertaining to the guy getting shot, but you have to realize that not EVERYBODY will be the kind helpful survivor. In a real apocalypse you will see a diverse number of survivors, each with their own tactics.

I'd like to think that I'm teaching people to stay away from military installations. They are dangerous and for good reason. I am forcing people to come up with alternative survival tactics rather than "Run to balota, gear up, pwn face" Like snipers or hate them, we don't care.

• Like 6

Everybody hates a sniper, but when you're geared out and have all the food/water/ammo you want.. the only thing left to do is help newbies, hunt bandits, or kill.

Helping newbies carries risk and no reward. You risk your life to give away items. Very helpful and nice, but doing this solo is dangerous.

Hunting bandits is very high risk but with high reward (their stuff). I've tried this and died every time, need a group or don't bother.

Sniping is low risk but high reward through entertainment (isn't that what games are for?) Yes it's not entertaining to the guy getting shot, but you have to realize that not EVERYBODY will be the kind helpful survivor. In a real apocalypse you will see a diverse number of survivors, each with their own tactics.

I'd like to think that I'm teaching people to stay away from military installations. They are dangerous and for good reason. I am forcing people to come up with alternative survival tactics rather than "Run to balota, gear up, pwn face" Like snipers or hate them, we don't care.

If anything you are teaching people that there are jerks in this game and next time they should server-hop 50 empty servers on Balota to gear up first and return the favor.

• Like 2

What are my thoughts? 

They probably just got fully geared out and wanted to give their guns a go. Balota is a high traffic area, so they thought it would be a good place to wait for someone.

When I high traffic area, I make sure that I do so very very carefully. For example I went to Balota last night, and I didn't run straight through the usual way, I went to the hills around the back, waited for a while to see if there was any movement around any of the buildings, or any snipers nearby (as the hill is the kind of place they would camp). I then proceeded cautiously making sure if at any moment I did see a player I could get into a good position to defend myself. Whenever I go across open ground I run in a zig-zig pattern and take cover in trees when going from point A to point B. Sure there may not be any threat in some random field that is miles away from any high traffic area, but it is good to get into the habit of always doing it. I try to ask myself at all times whether there are any positions that people might be able to kill me from easily, if there are I move to a better position.

I think people are too impatient and thoughtless whilst playing DayZ. They don't spend any time looking to see if other players are around before they sprint in wearing a bright orange backpack and loot the place. Then they come here and make a thread when they inevitably die. You can cut out a huge percent of the times you get killed just by thinking about what you are doing and being a bit patient. Don't just rush into a place looking for loot. Keep a good eye out and make sure you're not going to get caught with your pants down.

Edit: Also, my tip of the day is setting your default character to be wearing green jeans and the beige or green t-shirt. If you want to survive don't go for the aesthetically pleasing look, go for what keeps you less visible. 

Edited by DoctorBadSign
  • Like 10

If anything you are teaching people that there are jerks in this game and next time they should server-hop 50 empty servers on Balota to gear up first and return the favor.

I'm sure if there was a real apocalypse there would be jerks too. I'm just enhancing the realism of the game. Like I said, not everybody will be a carebear and want to hug and snuggle you. Some people just want to watch the world burn, and I just found a box of 68 worn matches... ;)

It's not that hard to gear up now that the magnum is in. Go to school on the mountains, get gun. Go to supermarket, get ammo. Trek to a base of your preference, scout and upgrade. It took me only an hour to get back to fully armed for me last night. Still trying to find the scope though.

Anyhow, I am going to camp noob bandits. You know the ones camping in the forests instead of the buildings where it is much hard to land a shot.

IMO people really need to let up on all the KOS /balota -kamy massacre complaining. Don't get me wrong, it sucks when it happens too you and I would never defend those guys but it is part of the game. If you are fresh spawn stay the hell away from the easy gear and truck north. However, if I'm looting an airfield swimming in swamp ass because im so nervous you better believe I'm gonna kos.

Good for the snipers.  If they are going to camp somewhere, Balota is a good spot for it.

• Like 2

I died every time I went near Balota in the Mod and I expect to die if I go near it in the SA.

• Like 2

I died every time I went near Balota in the Mod and I expect to die if I go near it in the SA.

Never played the mod but people currently snipe there all the time too? 

With the new spawn I don't really mind campers at balota since it's not fresh spawn killers, just keep a good eye open when you are there. 

Edited by flygamer1

Well I was at Balota yesterday with some friends. We were in the jail house upstairs and another group came up and wiped out all of my team except myself. I hunkered down and lay prone next to the bodies to wait for them to return. However, a sniper with a Mosin took them, and many other players in Balota out; saving my skin in the process. It was a sort of beautiful symbiotic relationship. With each report of the Mosin I knew there was one less bad guy to worry about. It was like swimming in shark infested waters and being chased by a shark, but another shark ate my shark. Thank you Balota sniper. 

• Like 6

Balota, teaching you to be careful and move north in one swoop.

The only reason to go to Balota is to kill the people that haven't learned to move off the coast.