Sign in to follow this  
CyberVillain (DayZ)

System to Punish KoS

I am not for or against KOS here, but I do think we should have a system that makes people think twice before KoS. Robbing is more fun anyway right? 

I would like if the loot get ruined by KoS, the % of damage is linear to the power of the weapon used. For instance if you use a Mosin or M4 the chance of damaged loot is very high. A axe not so much

Edited by CyberVillain

Well in all reality the chance that you'd hit someone in an area where they'd have loot while shooting a gun is higher than if you're right on them with an axe, so that would make sense.  To me, the risk of always engaging in PvP whenever and wherever is the risk of losing your character and progress.  That's why I don't shoot on sight, or come in and try to shake hands.

However, in the same sense, you could also Axe someone right on their rifle, not hitting their flesh at all, so does having equipment give someone avoidance to melee strikes?

Edited by McG2

The system you described is already in game. The only way to save your target's loot condition, is to get a headshot. Although most people just pump your body full of lead, which in turn makes everything in your inventory ruined.

• Like 2

I am sure once the game gets further down the road, loot being "ruined" will have an actual negative other than visuals. Meaning it is in your best interest, if robbing for gear, to literally hold someone up and not kill them.

But to be honest, most people who KoS don't do it for the gear so there is no point in changing anything gear related.

• Like 1

I am not for or against KOS here, but I do think we should have a system that makes people think twice before KoS. Robbing is more fun anyway right? 

I would like if the loot get ruined by KoS, the % of damage is linear to the power of the weapon used. For instance if you use a Mosin or M4 the chance of damaged loot is very high. A axe not so much

This is already in the game. Shoot someone twice in the torso and the majority of his gear will be destroyed. The only time I've ever seen gear undamaged is when getting a perfectly pristine headshot. Even like a neck shot damages most gear.

Either way, this won't stop me from shooting other players on sight.

Sure, being able to get someones gear is nice, but honestly, it takes 15 minutes to gear up to the point where you want for nothing, so why would stealing from other players be a concern of mine?

Edited by Imbalanxd
  • Like 1

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of heartbeat mechanic that lets you know when a player who's killed another player is near you?

I am sure once the game gets further down the road, loot being "ruined" will have an actual negative other than visuals. Meaning it is in your best interest, if robbing for gear, to literally hold someone up and not kill them.

But to be honest, most people who KoS don't do it for the gear so there is no point in changing anything gear related.

At the moment some items in the "ruined" condition are not usable. Such as pistol's. Although it seems their condition is hidden.

I was in a firefight with some guy, I shot about two mags into him, missing most shots. He shot me in the leg with his mosin which completely ruined my pants, which was where my pistol was located. After he shot me I reloaded and tried to fire, my gun would not shoot, only click.

It's already there.

I've suggested to bring back the skins from the mod back until a proper system is in effect.

Since at the moment bandits is like playing on Easy and Hero/survivor on Hard.

Simply because as a Bandit (thinking KoS-bandit here), you simply shoot everyone, nothing to worry about. But as a Hero/survivor, every interaction usually means death. Since the majority just KoS because they fear that everyone is a bandit.

Wasn't there supposed to be some kind of heartbeat mechanic that lets you know when a player who's killed another player is near you?

How realistic

• Like 2

A system that would make kos much more interesting is this:

1. Make a log of who killed who, available at least to the killer and the killed one.

2. Make it possible to quickly search which server this or that player is on.

• Like 1

How are you going to say that you're not for or against KOS, then make a thread title that says "System to punish KOS"?

I mean, your opinion is your own, but come on, let's not pretend to be neutral when we clearly aren't.

• Like 2

Any type of system put in place to deter or stop noble combat will just turn Day Z into another Life mod.  Only difference will be there are zombies in it.

I love this system. And yes system agaisnt KoS is here look this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=094roFsysP8 . ( see all ruined ).. im sorry about that im not a bad person but .. if this situation (zombies etc.) start in real life it be too Kill or be Killed.

I love this system. And yes system agaisnt KoS is here look this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=094roFsysP8 . ( see all ruined ).. im sorry about that im not a bad person but .. if this situation (zombies etc.) start in real life it be too Kill or be Killed.

Spray and pray, what a noob. My group allways leave a spotter / sniper when looting that can take care of the same problem with a one shot kill

Edited by CyberVillain

That's pretty much exactly what they already have in the game...

Edited by HCHellCaptain

How are you going to say that you're not for or against KOS, then make a thread title that says "System to punish KOS"?

I mean, your opinion is your own, but come on, let's not pretend to be neutral when we clearly aren't.

Got my beans mainly for the Rifter picture and a little bit cause of the statement.

A system that would make kos much more interesting is this:

1. Make a log of who killed who, available at least to the killer and the killed one.

2. Make it possible to quickly search which server this or that player is on.

meta-gaming, power-gaming, arcade style stuff.

Not really fit for DayZ.

Maybe people who want to fight could get sent to an arena. By magic. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain

Just asking, do the people that enjoy the fact that so many do KoS really want the game to be that kind of experience? Aren't there games out there that does that better?

If your answer is no, what do you suggest should be done to change how people behave in the game?

• Like 1

The whole idea of DayZ is a game where nothing is done to change how people behave. 

It's human nature simulator. 

Edited by HCHellCaptain
  • Like 1

I saw an effect of ruined gear, i could not disinfect a ruin protective box :)

This is already in the game. Shoot someone twice in the torso and the majority of his gear will be destroyed. The only time I've ever seen gear undamaged is when getting a perfectly pristine headshot. Even like a neck shot damages most gear.

Either way, this won't stop me from shooting other players on sight.

Sure, being able to get someones gear is nice, but honestly, it takes 15 minutes to gear up to the point where you want for nothing, so why would stealing from other players be a concern of mine?

i guessing this feeling will change as 'real' rare items exist, but yeah, take no time to gear up

We seriously need a system the punishes people for complaining about KoS.

• Like 2

We seriously need a system the punishes people for complaining about KoS.

we do, KOSers, and the cycle is complete.

Got my beans mainly for the Rifter picture and a little bit cause of the statement.

Trust in the rust, baby