Sign in to follow this  
mi.hassler@web.de

556 Supressor useless?

Thats the question. Is the 556 Supressor useless or not effective in DayZ? I made the experience that you cant silence a factory load 5.56 round, thats because the projectile is moving at around 1km/s when leaving the barrel, the projectile will create a supersonic boom. BUT you can silence the Muzzle flash, slow down the gas, so that your enemy wont hear your gun, but only the projectile, which makes him unable to hear where the fire is coming from. For some reason in DayZ the M4 sounds the same with and without the silencer. So its not effective yet. Am i right?

Not working currently but totally correct about the rounds. Let's hope we see some sub sonic ones at some point.

• Like 3

Increases accuracy a tiny bit

I hope we don't - very unrealistic...

671256e55e7b94c478f77c4dd2aa2641afb98ec7

I can post videos of 5.56mm ammo, but this one does the best to show the difference between supersonic and subsonic ammo being shot back-to-back.

• Like 6

old meme

video

I can post videos of 5.56mm ammo, but this one does the best to show the difference between supersonic and subsonic ammo being shot back-to-back.

But the real thing is that 5.56 is designed to be high velocity round and if you drop the speed to 300 m/s you wont get good results. It's such a tiny round compared to .45 for example.

Edited by Sutinen

But the real thing is that 5.56 is designed to be high velocity round and if you drop the speed to 300 m/s you wont get good results. It's such a tiny round compared to .45 for example.

And it will still kill you.

• Like 2

And it will still kill you.

Actually it is pretty stupid to try and silence the 5.56 projectile. The bullets weight, dimensions and purpose was totally building up on the very high velocity. You have to know that the 5.56 is the fastest caliber on planet earth, being fired from handweapons. Back in the invention state, the military wanted a bullet which does not weight much, and which creates ugly wounds inside a body. The 5.56 was perfect for that. The bullet shape, weight and speed made the projectile begin to twist after entering a soft target, which creates really ugly wounds. That caliber was not intended to kill at the first shot.  The average 5.56 projectile weights 55 grains, which is 3,56 gram. The average 7,62x51NATO projectile weights 9,6 gram which is 145grain. The design of the 5.56 can ONLY work in supersonic speed. The purpose of silencing a 5.56 rifle was not to silence the whole gun, like you do on other bigger caliber rifles. The reason why they wanted a silenced 5.56 was because silencing the explosion in front of your barrel makes the enemy not able to hear from where he is being shot. Trust me, you cant hear where it is coming from, if you only hear the sonic boom of the projectile.

• Like 1

Actually it is pretty stupid to try and silence the 5.56 projectile. The bullets weight, dimensions and purpose was totally building up on the very high velocity. You have to know that the 5.56 is the fastest caliber on planet earth, being fired from handweapons. Back in the invention state, the military wanted a bullet which does not weight much, and which creates ugly wounds inside a body. The 5.56 was perfect for that. The bullet shape, weight and speed made the projectile begin to twist after entering a soft target, which creates really ugly wounds. That caliber was not intended to kill at the first shot.  The average 5.56 projectile weights 55 grains, which is 3,56 gram. The average 7,62x51NATO projectile weights 9,6 gram which is 145grain. The design of the 5.56 can ONLY work in supersonic speed. The purpose of silencing a 5.56 rifle was not to silence the whole gun, like you do on other bigger caliber rifles. The reason why they wanted a silenced 5.56 was because silencing the explosion in front of your barrel makes the enemy not able to hear from where he is being shot. Trust me, you cant hear where it is coming from, if you only hear the sonic boom of the projectile.

Not only that, but as the video points out, a subsonic load would not cycle the bolt in a standard .223 semi-automatic rifle.  You would need a specially designed weapon for the particular load you're using.  This would effectively turn your M4 into a worthless piece of shit.

I disagree with your statements about the ballistic effect of the .223 round on targets, however.  There are many factors to take into account, including but not limited to the twist ratio of the barrel from which they are fired.  Not all .223 tumble on impact and there are many types of rounds available.  I believe fatal wounds would still be inflicted at close to medium range.

Not only that, but as the video points out, a subsonic load would not cycle the bolt in a standard .223 semi-automatic rifle.  You would need a specially designed weapon for the particular load you're using.  This would effectively turn your M4 into a worthless piece of shit.

I disagree with your statements about the ballistic effect of the .223 round on targets, however.  There are many factors to take into account, including but not limited to the twist ratio of the barrel from which they are fired.  Not all .223 tumble on impact and there are many types of rounds available.  I believe fatal wounds would still be inflicted at close to medium range.

You can easily modify your gas system or change the springs on a gun to make them work with subsonic, that wouldnt be the problem. But in DayZ it would be a problem.

Believe me or not, but the ballistic effects of the .223 work the way i told you, at least the surplus military loads and projectiles. Due to the heavy tail of the bullet, the front gets slowed faster, that will make the bullet turn over. The twist rate of a barrel only affects the spin on heavier or lighter bullets which stabilizes them inflight. After entering soft tissue it will turn over, no matter how fast it spins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOYPxiRldaE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u5Uk0ae4p4

Edited by scorpac

That you are turning an M4 into a straight pull bolt action firing the equivalent of a .22WMR is neither here nor there. It, will, still, kill, you!

Would anyone of you care to volunteer to be shot with a 77gr. .224" caliber projectile moving at 1,100 FPS?

ETA: Okay, maybe I'm being a bit too much of a dick. Yes you have the above problems. The benefit is the lack of supersonic crack (so you don't rile up the cannibal natives) and you have the added benefit of not needing to pack an entire additional weapon system. You'll be giving up weapon range, and penetrative power (you can forgot about punching through helmets and ballistic vests) but with just a change of ammo and you now have a highly covert weapon for picking off those pesky obstructions to your looting, aka zeds. Or the particularly unaware survivor. *shrug*

Edited by Land Squid

That you are turning an M4 into a straight pull bolt action firing the equivalent of a .22WMR is neither here nor there. It, will, still, kill, you!

Would anyone of you care to volunteer to be shot with a 77gr. .224" caliber projectile moving at 1,100 FPS?

ETA: Okay, maybe I'm being a bit too much of a dick. Yes you have the above problems. The benefit is the lack of supersonic crack (so you don't rile up the cannibal natives) and you have the added benefit of not needing to pack an entire additional weapon system. You'll be giving up weapon range, and penetrative power (you can forgot about punching through helmets and ballistic vests) but with just a change of ammo and you now have a highly covert weapon for picking off those pesky obstructions to your looting, aka zeds. Or the particularly unaware survivor. *shrug*

alright, i can be a dick aswell. in dayz the only place to find .223 ammo is in military camps. military uses 55gr projectiles, usually with a lead core. armor piercing abilities areonly present if using the "green tip" steel core projectile, which is not the one used in dayz :P

well it is fast, but not the fastest. there are plenty of non-mainstream rounds that go faster.

a subsonic 5,56 will have its applications at short distances. the round will still jaw upon impact, but the ballistics and impact energy will render it useless at a distance, due to weight.

however, the real life application is so limited it would be rather unrealistic to have it in dayz. i'd rather see some interesting compensators and flash hiders.

Or maybe they could just introduce 300aac as an extremely rare version of m4, and good luck finding the ammo

PS not trolling, arma 3 had the same problems with silencers in alpha and beta, it would silence the shot but keep the flash

If there were a way for DayZ to handle subsonic rounds causing the weapon to be manually cycled each shot, this might work, but finding already made subsonic rounds ... if 'realistic'... you'd never find them. They're just stupidly rare and uncommon.

If there were a way for DayZ to handle subsonic rounds causing the weapon to be manually cycled each shot, this might work, but finding already made subsonic rounds ... if 'realistic'... you'd never find them. They're just stupidly rare and uncommon.

An absolutely fair point. Best chance in obtaining them would be hand loading them yourself. Second to that would be gun stores with a comprehensive ammunition inventory and a distant third would be the armories of specwar type commands.

• Like 1

An absolutely fair point. Best chance in obtaining them would be hand loading them yourself. Second to that would be gun stores with a comprehensive ammunition inventory and a distant third would be the armories of specwar type commands.

Upon realizing how stupidly rare those rounds would be, I actually made an entire post about adding a handloading system to the game which would allow you to load your own subsonic rounds.

By no means an expert, but subsonic ammo seems a legit and good idea to me, to use the supressors. Trade offs: less accuracy, higher wear on the platform (M4) because of (and correct me if I'm wrong here, had to look it up) the propellant is not expulsed as much as with supersonic ammo, causing it to stay (in the barrel?). Thoughts here?

Seems to me a good gun cleaning kit would be a cool addition along with it.