Er... yeah.

A square "anything" is the length of every "side". So 225km2 would be 225 kilometers on every "side" - which we can agree Chernarus is certainly not.

Not sure if serious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_metre

square-m.gif

I'm dead serious.

That's because 1*1 = 1. FYI 225*225 =/= 225

oh for fucks sake...Im the OP and I realized I didnt think it through very well!

So no, all of you people saying 225km2 is 225 on all sides are wrong, you can stop spamming my thread now!

*facepalm* You are of course completely right. I think this is all the proof I need for requiring some coffee before trying to recall basic math this early in the day.

Yes Zed - I think we pretty much have it nailed down by now, hehe ^^

By the way, 100m is approximately 20s of run time at full speed. So you can calculate run times:

Cross map in a straight line: 15,000m = 50 minutes

Cross map diagonally: 21,213.2m = ~71 minutes

Of course, no two interesting points on the map lie at those distances. Zeloogorsk to Berezino is about 13,000m or about 43 minutes dead run.

15 km square doesn't sound as impressive as 225 square km' date=' so they use that instead ;)

[/quote']

No, they use it because it isn't 15km sq but 225km sq...

Unit problem with forum display probably and there can be confusion between results and questions.

(there is also a cultural thing going on here between unit notation's too, I suspect.)

225 square KM is not 225 KM squared.

The first is an area, the second is a question.

Two hundred and twenty five is the result of the square.

For each side take the root of the two hundred and twenty five.

When in doubt (as an old bald bloke told me use words not numbers and the value goes first the unit goes second, anything after the unit is a question)

E.g.

225 is a number.

225 KM. is a distance.

225^2 KM is the area.

225 KM ^2 is a question.

225^2 KM is the area.

Who uses that notation? I thought metric units notations were pretty standard and I have always km^2 defined "square kilometers." (See my screenshot above).

"km^2" is for people who don't know how to write km². :D

"km^2" is for people who don't know how to write km². :D

Hey, that's me! How did you do that? If find it hard to be fancy on this forum without copy/pasting from elsewhere.

Unit problem with forum display probably and there can be confusion between results and questions.

(there is also a cultural thing going on here between unit notation's too' date=' I suspect.)

225 square KM is not 225 KM squared.

The first is an area, the second is a question.

225 is a number.

225 KM. is a distance.

225^2 KM is the area.

225 KM ^2 is a question.

[/quote']

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What%27s_the_difference_between_square_kilometers_and_kilometers_squared

I have a box that is 2 meters squared

I have a box that is 2 square meters

Same thing, albeit confusing nonetheless it seems.

Basically, this:

Note: "km2" means (km)2, square kilometre or kilometre squared and not k(m2), kilo–square metre. For example, 3 km2 is equal to 3×(1,000m)2 = 3,000,000 m2, not 3,000 m2.

While we can say it's blah all day long, go in game and go to a server that has waypoints enabled. Go to the top left of the map where you can see the black lines that outline the "box" the actual play area is, and stand right on the point they meet. Then, bring your map up and put your waypoint as far to the right top of the map that is playable....and I'm talking about land not sea. You'll know roughly how wide the actual play area is. While it won't be exact, you'll know generally how far and how long it will take you.

It takes roughly 20~ minutes to run from Electro area beach, to Petrovka.

I say forget what they claim as it being 225km². It's something they made up.

Here is another map that shows the entire region with a made up distance bar that they made....and as you can see.....if we go by that distance bar, it's roughly 30km~ across the entire map.

arma_2_island_locations.png

If we were to go by the calculations, it would be 15km across each side. But I wouldn't go by that. It's close, depends on if you count water or not. I'd say its generally 12000-13000 meters of playability, not including the water or "outside map that has nothing."

Just go in game and do it yourself :) use your map and waypoints.

As far as how fast you run. If you aren't walking, you're sprinting. At least, that's if you're using the "fast forward" keybindings. Assuming you could virtually sprint as long as you wanted, it's very possible to run 15km in under 30 minutes. 15km is roughly 9.3 miles. The average service member can run 9 miles in 72 minutes (assuming they all do a 8 minute mile), and that's not sprinting. A record holder sprints 100m in 9.58 seconds. Let's assume he sprinted across Chernarus without stopping due to unlimited breath.

15km = 15000m.

15000/100 = 150

150x9.58 seconds = 1437 seconds

1437/60 = 23.95 minutes

I would say our "run" speed in game is more of a sprint speed. Which gives us the ability to cross over 9 miles in under 30 minutes.

Not sure how people are having a problem with the notion of surface area.

The world is approximately 15km x 15km. So, at any one given time, you're never more than 15km from a player on the X or Y axis. (Technically 21.21 km after applying the Pythagorean theorem, assuming players are on opposite corners of the map.)

So while you are not technically never that far away from a player, you would have to search 225 km2 of landscape if you don't know where they are.

225^2 KM is the area.

Who uses that notation? I thought metric units notations were pretty standard and I have always km^2 defined "square kilometers." (See my screenshot above).

Nope! what a noob go back to basic math idiot. Youre fuckign dumb as dog shit you know that? You are probably a no life loser geek with no job or friends you fucking loser. Yeah get mad pussy. inb4 cry

225^2 KM is the area.

Its verbal word order as opposed to visual notation but functions are always in the present tense.

e.g. 225 (square) kilo meters. 225 kilo meters (square)

Both of them mean the same thing but radio comms in crappy environments means you need to use something kinda like the phonetic alphabet (basically there is no squared and even if there were you probably couldn't hear it..) so you change word order.

You can tell the difference even if reception is shit. First one is a statement, second one is a question.

225^2 KM is the area.

Its verbal word order as opposed to visual notation but functions are always in the present tense.

e.g. 225 (square) kilo meters. 225 kilo meters (square)

Both of them mean the same thing but radio comms in crappy environments means you need to use something kinda like the phonetic alphabet (basically there is no squared and even if there were you probably couldn't hear it..) so you change word order.

You can tell the difference even if reception is shit. First one is a statement' date=' second one is a question.

[/quote']

I wouldnt reply to zeds. He will insult you, bypass his ban and get you banned.

Why not? He asked a perfectly legitimate question and as such deserved an honest answer.

Why not? He asked a perfectly legitimate question and as such deserved an honest answer.

Because he will insult you, bypass his ban and get you banned.