Sign in to follow this  
djshocker

Graphics Card Issues

I have a question for those Tech Gurus and I'd also like to get a response from a Dev when they get a chance....

I have a XFX Radeon HD 7770

PICTURE:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5541/XFX7770-1.jpg

I can play the DayZ Mod full graphics in HD no problem, no lag, and the graphics card keeps itself cool just fine...

DayZ Standalone: Temperature hits 156 F (73 C)

Game runs fine, smooth, no problems, but my card has never gotten that hot. CPU stays at 86 F (30 C) when running the game.

There's no water cooling system in my machine, mostly because I don't believe water and electronics should be near each other(especially as much money as I've invested on building this machine)

I've got 4 fans mounted to the chassis, one on the top, one in the back, one in the front, and one on the side.

This is my case:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SGC-2100-KWN3-R&cat=CAS&cpc=CASbsc

processor: AMD Phenom II 6 Core at 2.70 GHz

RAM 8GB DDR3

Any ideas? Advice?

Much appreciated!

Take note that the Standalone is more demanding on graphics since it has been improved with the modified ARMA 2 engine(Pretty much a new engine altogether)

What are your in-game settings you play on?

This topic might help you in increasing performance which would ease the stress on your GPU: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154330-possible-fps-enhancer/

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... 

The only thing i can think of, at this point, is that if its just the temp of you GPU your worried about....

Try downloading and installing MSI Afterburner ( http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm )...  You can then just in the settings if your card is compatible ( it should be )  and you can adjust the "Fan Curve" and test to find something more comfortable...

What this should do, if you set it right, is negate the "Stock" fan curve, and make your GPU's cooling fan run at a higher RPM  when it reaches certain Temps...

For example, the stock fan curve had my GTX 660 ( running at 99% load )  hitting an average of 75c with the fan running at 65% After i adjusted the Curve only slightly, i can now run the GPU at 99% load, and my GPU will only hit 54c  with the fan at 65%....

Dammit.... now im just rambling.... But you get the point.... I hope :blush:  

EDIT: Found a Vid Tutorial.... Enjoy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHVhZ_ARn4

Edited by Dr-Shade
  • Like 3

Take note that the Standalone is more demanding on graphics since it has been improved with the modified ARMA 2 engine(Pretty much a new engine altogether)

What are your in-game settings you play on?

This topic might help you in increasing performance which would ease the stress on your GPU: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154330-possible-fps-enhancer/

I initially played with full graphics, lowered them little by little, until the lowest. It still ran warmer than other graphically demanding games that I have (i.e BattleField 3, the DayZ Mod, etc.)

Hmmmm.... 

The only thing i can think of, at this point, is that if its just the temp of you GPU your worried about....

Try downloading and installing MSI Afterburner ( http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm )...  You can then just in the settings if your card is compatible ( it should be )  and you can adjust the "Fan Curve" and test to find something more comfortable...

What this should do, if you set it right, is negate the "Stock" fan curve, and make your GPU's cooling fan run at a higher RPM  when it reaches certain Temps...

For example, the stock fan curve had my GTX 660 ( running at 99% load )  hitting an average of 75c with the fan running at 65% After i adjusted the Curve only slightly, i can now run the GPU at 99% load, and my GPU will only hit 54c  with the fan at 65%....

Dammit.... now im just rambling.... But you get the point.... I hope :blush:  

EDIT: Found a Vid Tutorial.... Enjoy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsHVhZ_ARn4

Never heard of this, i'll look into it! Thanks! 

I initially played with full graphics, lowered them little by little, until the lowest. It still ran warmer than other graphically demanding games that I have (i.e BattleField 3, the DayZ Mod, etc.)

You shouldn't be running anywhere close to max. settings on a Phenom.

Try losing anti-aliasing, object details, ambient occlusion and post-process and shadows and see how you get on.

I just googled a few temp charts for the 7770 (under load), and they were between 70-74C.  

• Like 2

You shouldn't be running anywhere close to max. settings on a Phenom.

Try losing anti-aliasing, object details, ambient occlusion and post-process and shadows and see how you get on.

Phenom? The game wasn't anywhere close to maxing out my processor. Like i said, on Max settings, the game was running perfect, smooth, no lag, nothing.

I just googled a few temp charts for the 7770 (under load), and they were between 70-74C.  

I saw that too, however, I like to keep electronics cool because heat can cause wear and tear on computer components over time. Yes, they are built to last, however, I guess you can consider me "protective" of my system lol.

There's no water cooling system in my machine, mostly because I don't believe water and electronics should be near each other(especially as much money as I've invested on building this machine)

On a side note, you can easily get liquid cooling solution that isn't conductive. Water cooling is the way to go. Worrying about it being near electronics is kinda unnecessary. 

74c is nothing to worry about, unless you plan on keeping your GPU for decades.  There is a distinct difference between caring for your gear and being silly.  I say this with all the love in the world, but you are just being silly at this point.

I have a question for those Tech Gurus and I'd also like to get a response from a Dev when they get a chance....

I have a XFX Radeon HD 7770

PICTURE:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5541/XFX7770-1.jpg

I have 2 of those cards cross fired and I still get issues man !

I had major farking issues with arma 2 graphics even with 2 those farking cards cross fired ! the standalone(graphics with radeon 7770) isnt so bad but its not that great either

radeon and arma dont want to be freinds ! PRETTY SHIT

• Like 1

74c is nothing to worry about, unless you plan on keeping your GPU for decades.  There is a distinct difference between caring for your gear and being silly.  I say this with all the love in the world, but you are just being silly at this point.

^ This.

The GPU, VRMs and VRAM in a 7770 (and any other recent graphics card) will run at 90 degrees Celsius without any ill effects.

I have 2 of those cards cross fired and I still get issues man !

I had major farking issues with arma 2 graphics even with 2 those farking cards cross fired ! the standalone(graphics with radeon 7770) isnt so bad but its not that great either

radeon and arma dont want to be freinds ! PRETTY SHIT

I don't really understand why people are still buying AMD/ATi cards.

I don't mean to start a graphics card war here, I've owned systems with both in the past, and at current Nvidia is giving the consumer more bang for their buck, at a lower cost than AMD is.

^ This.

The GPU, VRMs and VRAM in a 7770 (and any other recent graphics card) will run at 90 degrees Celsius without any ill effects.

That's what I've been reading. I guess everything I've learned in the past regarding excessive heat and components, don't apply anymore.

Thanks everyone!

I don't really understand why people are still buying AMD/ATi cards.

I don't mean to start a graphics card war here, I've owned systems with both in the past, and at current Nvidia is giving the consumer more bang for their buck, at a lower cost than AMD is.

Well I actually got my cards because Radeon was recommended at being better for video rendering.. I study Visual Effects for film you see and yes that's about the only reason I'm rendering big 3d environments in VUE and other various 3ds max things..Other wise I would have went with nvidia but please understand, for the issues that were happening the graphics cards shouldn't have been performing as badly as they were for arma 2 even if those cards aren't a recommened selection by people

I have a 7800 series ATI card. Now and again it freezes, minimizes the game to unavailable taskbar or just goes black or lined on me. Inside buildings im getting all sorts of glitches and even a old babrbwire fence effect at the NWAF camp.

Having to restart and leave game is beginning to piss me right off. It does not do this on anything else. Different Drivers and settings does not help

Im assuming this is because of it being an Alpha and needs support. I understand this. I live with it.

I have a 7800 series ATI card. Now and again it freezes, minimizes the game to unavailable taskbar or just goes black or lined on me. Inside buildings im getting all sorts of glitches and even a old babrbwire fence effect at the NWAF camp.

Having to restart and leave game is beginning to piss me right off. It does not do this on anything else. Different Drivers and settings does not help

Im assuming this is because of it being an Alpha and needs support. I understand this. I live with it.

Your card might be physically faulty. Bad memory can cause quite similar behaviour but this isn't easy to try and diagnose over internet.

Want to list your hardware? I'm wondering what power supply have you got

This has nothing to do with DayZ. If you think DayZ SA runs hotter than other graphically demanding games, than those games are not as demanding as you think. A game can be very demanding, even while not looking that good (because of not being optimized), there are not really ways to make a game which can push your card further than it can be udner maximum stress. Also, 73 degrees is quite acceptable for a GPU. Don't worry about it, just have fun playing.

Edited by Liquidje