winter09

I have no idea where to go...

I tried reading the map and figuring out where I spawned but I just can't figure it out...

Edited by winter09

find a sign or if your on the coast find the train tracks with a small wooden station it will have the town name on top of it

Hi there...

Try to head to some town...and read the sign and then look for it in some map...also look for key parts of the terrain around you like mountains,train rails,radio towers, lakes or water ponds, etc.

At last...just try to stick close to the roads...and dont go through the forest cause you could get lost...

Have fun out there 

This will help you tremendously. I have duel monitors which makes it easier. But It's an interactive loot. map. It's not completed yet, as the game still has yet to be completed. But it has English translations of towns, making it very easy to find your way. 

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

This game throws you in the deep end - you're probably going to have a fair bit of difficulty in the first few hours of play getting your bearings. Spend a lot of time running around, looking for landmarks. Familiarise yourself with the landscape. Look up a couple of online maps (Chernarus is the name of the map we're currently playing on). It'll take time, but you'll gradually become familiar with the layouts of the towns and areas you spawn in. You can find maps, but I've yet to work out how they work in the standalone... they don't seem to synch with your map button =S

Ingame map's dont use "M" anymore. You need to ad your map to your hot bar and use the corresponding number to bring it up.

EDIT: and remember map parts can be/should be joined together.

Edited by BelMarduk

Hmm, ok. Thank you for the headsup. Having the hotkey function still in the game makes things a bit confusing.

These old training videos are great for familiarizing yourself with map reading. Its all about learning to read terrain features and then triangulating your position from them. The rest is easy.

If you have a compass, all you really need is a piece of paper and a pen. If you don't have a compass, the same is true, really. Without both, pen, paper, a clock and the sun are also sufficient. At night, use the stars.

Edited by Instagoat

http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/dayz.gamepedia.com/Gmap/beta/gmap.html

personally I prefer this map over the loot spawn one, since loot spawns are most likely gonna change throughout the alpha AND it loads quicker on my snail-net :)

There are no loot spawns on the other map, and your map is not Chernarus+. You'll not be able to see the miltary base just North of Kamenka.

I tried reading the map and figuring out where I spawned but I just can't figure it out...

There's the dayzdb map someone already linked to if you don't mind the spoilers per say. There are some extra tips on navigating and getting your bearings as well here:

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/How_to_find_North

Watch the clouds too! They travel from west to east.

Also, if you have other questions, I made a guy specifically for new players and the standalone alpha here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156472-survivors-guide-to-dayz-sa/

Use this map.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#4.051.089

Entering and exiting a town on a main road, you will see street signs.  The signs when you're leaving a particular city will have a red line through it like a no smoking sign.  On the opposite side of the road, you will see a matching sign without the red line indicating you are entering that particular town.

Reference the map I've linked, since the signs are all in Russian.  Find the match and translation on the map.  And then you'll know where you are.

There are no loot spawns on the other map, and your map is not Chernarus+. You'll not be able to see the miltary base just North of Kamenka.

I much prefer having the contour lines available from the map I use - also as I say, my net is only 1mbit, it takes me about 2minutes to reload that map everytime I zoom in or out which when I'm alt tabbed out of the game could be the difference between a death or not whilst getting my bearings.

I already know where the military base is nr Pavlovo (and actually have the western part of the map in the game to use) - so it's not a huge biggy for me to not have that on the out of game map.

you dont read online maps...you just run and learn WTF helps you to survive.