Heeeere's johnny!

Suggestions for the defibrillator

I like this idea. Of course it need a lot of tweaking but it would be good for gameplay.

You can add some option near body that would prevent it from being revived.

You can add some option near body that would prevent it from being revived.

if you had a headshot and become revived it would be funny if a zombie spawns instead :P

Dead is dead.  A defib really just tries to jump start a heart to get it beating again, really only useful for cardiac arrest (meaning the heart stops beating for whatever reason).

You are retarded. A defibrillator does NOT start a stopped heart, nor is it used for cardiac arrest. It is used to get a heart that is out of rhythm back into rhythm such as V-fib. Yes they can shock you if you are touching the body, in contact with water, etc and yes if used on a healthy person it can hurt/kill them. But please stop spreading this television "OH MY GOD, HIS HEART ISNT BEATING! GET A DEFIBRILLATOR!!!!11!!one!!1" bullshit.

Florida EMT here.

Edited by Raptor05121

Despite what you see on TV, defibs won't start a heart that's stopped beating. Would be a bit retarded to shoot someone in the face then defib him to bring him back to life wouldn't it?

Dead is dead.  A defib really just tries to jump start a heart to get it beating again, really only useful for cardiac arrest (meaning the heart stops beating for whatever reason).  A hole in your lung/heart/head can't be cured by a bit of electricity.  There's a reason why Medics in real life don't just go around with Defibs reviving dead people.  It should be able to shock people that are dying or unconscious back to consciousness.

Dead is dead, agreed.  But as mentioned above, "braindead" is "truly" dead.  Severe blood loss is a common affliction in this game, along with starvation and dehydration that might first lead to cardiac arrest long before brain-death.  My suggestion is that they add an in-between level of death called simply "You have flat-lined"  So... the order would be:

1st. You are unconscious

2nd. You are flat-lined

3rd. You are dead. :P

I agree that mindless, repeated BF-style reviving of a riddled body is stupid.  Using the example of the Lone Wolf vs. the Squad, if the Lone Wolf was effective enough as an assassin to connect a headshot, he shouldn't be "disregarded" for his effort by the group's ability to revive their fallen partner ad infinitum. However, if the lone wolf could only connect torso/limb shots, or a melee attack which might currently result in death [rather than unconsciousness], it might be an opportunity for a squad member to apply life-saving bandages and defib.  Though it might create a need for further programming (like a flatline-to-death-countdown), it might also bolster the efforts by the game's creators to incorporate realistic medical situations, like adding CPR (with a corresponding lower-success rate).

Nobody is questioning the fact that bandages miraculously stop bleeding, whether from a bite on the arm or an axe to the torso; furthermore, there is a balance between realism and gaming, and I for one would appreciate more opportunities to revive a partner after hours of collecting gear and staying alive.

Edited by Mr Jizz

I don't like this, and here's why:

In my mind someone who has fallen ill enough (meaning fair fucked and about to stop existing, I'm not talking about the flu here!) to require the use of a defibrillator to survive only survives.

As far as I'm concerned the player would then need constant medical attention for at least half a day (it is a game after all) before they could even walk...

No matter what the situation, if you require a defibrillator to prevent your death but then jump straight up and start walking around I'll fuckin uninstall.

I think we're onto something here though:

In my eyes, building bombs and traps is probably the most senseful thing to do with stuff that does not seem to make any sense the way it's supposed to be used.
  • Like 1

The only way I could see it make some sense is this.

1. must not be a head shot

2. must bandage player before 

3. must give blood transfusion or saline before

4. must not be dead for more than a few minutes (not sure when brain damage occurs)

5. when you shock someone to bring them back there is only a chance they'll come back

6. The chance they'll come back is reduced for every impact to the body. For example 50% for 1 bullet/axe hit, 25% for 2 bullet/axe hit. (though this may be hard to program as because your character will already have several hits from zombies and such from the days before.

I don't like this, and here's why:

In my mind someone who has fallen ill enough (meaning fair fucked and about to stop existing, I'm not talking about the flu here!) to require the use of a defibrillator to survive only survives.

As far as I'm concerned the player would then need constant medical attention for at least half a day (it is a game after all) before they could even walk...

No matter what the situation, if you require a defibrillator to prevent your death but then jump straight up and start walking around I'll fuckin uninstall.

Uninstalling is a little extreme.

That's basically my point, the game offers an open-ended orgy for murderous dick-holes to thrill themselves with the palpable frustration suffered by those they force to start over, but few remedies for serious injury for their victims to salvage hours of gameplay. I agree in part though; a person revived in this way would have to suffer through an arduous healing process and likely need further treatment to survive, BUT they'd at least be able to keep their gear.  It might also add a level of complexity to the game (caring for weakened comrades, new medical items, etc)

The only way I could see it make some sense is this.

1. must not be a head shot

2. must bandage player before 

3. must give blood transfusion or saline before

4. must not be dead for more than a few minutes (not sure when brain damage occurs)

5. when you shock someone to bring them back there is only a chance they'll come back

6. The chance they'll come back is reduced for every impact to the body. For example 50% for 1 bullet/axe hit, 25% for 2 bullet/axe hit. (though this may be hard to program as because your character will already have several hits from zombies and such from the days before.

I agree with this approach wholeheartedly. My perspective is that defibs and similar high-level medical intervention are merely an opportunity to save a friend from starting from scratch, not a miraculous works-every-time remedy like the bandages and saline.  Similarly, should multiple steps be required [in a particular order and with particular items], many would-be defibrillations would end up moot in the absence of a blood bag or IV starter kit [for example]. An added element to the game might be skilled medics; players who specialize in the collection of medical equipment, consumables and crafting. Having a medic in your crew would make the group that much more survivable.  Real-world field medics can perform complex surgery, close arteries, set bones, cauterize open wounds, etc. with basic instruments. The defib and corresponding pre- and post-steps are [or could be] representative of the game's lack of many other complex medical needs.

Edited by Mr Jizz

Despite what you see on TV, defibs won't start a heart that's stopped beating. Would be a bit retarded to shoot someone in the face then defib him to bring him back to life wouldn't it?

From a purely medical standpoint you are, of course, correct.  But this is a video game, and the medical complexities of cardiology are lost on the lowest-common denominator.  "Flat-lined" is a universally accepted media-propagated condition that we have been led to believe is reversible with defibrillation or CPR.

Wiki - Ventricular fibrillation (V-fib or VF) is a condition in which there is uncoordinated contraction of the cardiac muscle of the ventricles in the heart, making them quiver rather than contract properly. Ventricular fibrillation is the most commonly identified arrhythmia in cardiac arrest patients. 

Telling a user "You are experiencing Ventricular Fibrillation" is a bit cumbersome.  Medically speaking it goes beyond mere unconsciousness [to be in this state] and could be used by the game to bridge the gap between instant death by [insurmountable] trauma like headshots, and slightly less serious trauma, like body shots or severe blood loss.

Edited by Mr Jizz

What about the batteries for the defrib? They shouldnt just be torch batteries should they?

Make it require multiple batteries. Forcing people to carry multiple sizes of batteries might seem frivolous to people struggling find extra space.

"Flat-lined" is a universally accepted media-propagated condition that we have been led to believe is reversible with defibrillation or CPR.

I have seen a documentary about this topic some years ago. And if I remember correctly, it was said that at some point to get a heart beat regularly again, it would be necassary to firstly shock it to stop it and secondly defib it so it starts pumping regularly again.

To be honest, I'm absolutely not sure though since I couldn't find any proof "on the fly", but if anyone finds something supporting/debilitating this, I'd be grateful.

Regards,

Johnny

I for one would like it to revive dead people even if they have been shot.  It introduces an interesting gameplay mechanic for team or group play.  Imagine dragging or carrying a buddy to cover in the middle of a fire fight, happens all the time in Invade and Annex and it is quite exciting.

Having the ability to revive dead players will not break the combat of DayZ:SA because it is already broken.  At the slightest indication that someone might die they just log.  If anything the defibrillator will help with the logging problem.  People will be less likely to insta-log if they know a group mate could revive them if they die.

From server hopping to insta-logging immersion is pretty much already broken.  To argue that the ability to revive dead players is game breaking is at this point a straw man argument.

The defibrillator will increase the entertainment and play-ability of DayZ:SA.

Oh my god, I cannot believe they really did it:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/920159972988415838

Look at the fourth last bullet point under "Fixed":

- Players can now be revived with the defibrillator

Congratulations, you are one step closer to Battlefield... XD

At the slightest indication that someone might die they just log. If anything the defibrillator will help with the logging problem.

You are right about the combat logging problem. In many interviews, Dean Hall has talked about the new way, the servers work in that point of view. Actually, the "big improvement" which I am looking forward to, is that the server decides, whether you are logged out or not.

So if you're in the middle of a fire fight and you just pull your network cable, the server could act like: "You cannot logout right here. Find a save place and/or wait ... minute(s)." or something like this.

This would be a very nice thing as well, because people would know combat logging is senseless.

Regards,
Johnny

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny

Oh my god, I cannot believe they really did it:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=221100

This is great. I applaud it and doubt that it will be OP or anything. The ability to revive teammates gives roleplaying more depth and actually increases the value of the life of the character in the sense that you don´t just instant respawn and start running to pick up the loot thats left..

Also i like the idea of KOSing + stripping the victim and reviving it (preferably with handcuffs on) - they revolutionised banditry!

If someone tries this out please report back if there is a "physical penalty" as in low blood (obviously) and wounds after reviving.

It's not working atm :C. I just kill my friend to test it. :P

Edited by SEM

How did you kill him?

Did you remember to put a battery in it? :huh:

Hey!

We haven't contiued this topic in a while!

Didn't know if you guyz realized already. The defibrillator has a senseful ... sense ... or something... now ... *derp* :facepalm:

Changelog of version 0.42.116181:

"Medical: Players can have a heart attack (declared as "irregular pulse" with pulse checking actions)

[...]

Medical: Defibrillator used for restarting the heart of players who have a heart attack"

Anyway, you can get heart attacks now ... for whatever reason. And you can use the defib to get them back! Isn't that ... well ... something? :D

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny