Hicks_206 (DayZ)

Rolling Update Rev. 0.30.113925

maybe cause you're NOT a developer...

People keep using this, and yes i am not one, but i have a lot of mate who are. People who are doing PHD's in the kind of programming that would make most programmers mind fry. The general consensus among them is that the development of this game has been very slow given the size of the team rocket now commands. 

Lets put it this way if they keep supplying measly fix lists like this one people are going to get very annoyed at the pace. It can be forgiven as its the xmas period but after they really need to kick into gear. 

People keep using this, and yes i am not one, but i have a lot of mate who are. People who are doing PHD's in the kind of programming that would make most programmers mind fry. The general consensus among them is that the development of this game has been very slow given the size of the team rocket now commands. 

Lets put it this way if they keep supplying measly fix lists like this one people are going to get very annoyed at the pace. It can be forgiven as its the xmas period but after they really need to kick into gear. 

Ah, perhaps those people should have saved up their money for later then. A shame some can't wait for nothing.

Never be happy with anything.

That alpha is out for only a few weeks with about 4 (was it 4?) patches out already and people complain about things going slow.

I wanna see you (or your PHD friends for that matter) work any faster on a smilar sized project.

If you can, alright, have my beans, all of them. If you can't - sit back and while you do that, you can go and report bugs.

That should help speeding up that development process a bit ;)

And btw.

Happy new year (to you too!). It'll be a good one I'm sure.

• Like 1

Ah, perhaps those people should have saved up their money for later then. A shame some can't wait for nothing.

Never be happy with anything.

That alpha is out for only a few weeks with about 4 (was it 4?) patches out already and people complain about things going slow.

I wanna see you (or your PHD friends for that matter) work any faster on a smilar sized project.

If you can, alright, have my beans, all of them. If you can't - sit back and while you do that, you can go and report bugs.

That should help speeding up that development process a bit ;)

And btw.

Happy new year (to you too!). It'll be a good one I'm sure.

I said I am NOT a programmer, but my friends are. Considering they are all creating software for medical purposes and for robotics companies,. Ie a lot of software that they are creating from scratch through trial and error. It has to be new or it cant be a PHD. I think that yes, yes they could work faster. Nothing they are doing on dayz is so far removed from other games that it should be a massive shot in the dark.

I am not begrudging the programmers, because as it stands it seems rocket is the main reason for the slow production. The reason being is that he doesn’t want to rush it, which in theory is a good thing, but the problem is when you have total creative control over a project everything has be be OK'd, so any major changes will be slow. 

My point is simply that the rate of development (not the alpha specifically) has been slow. Rocket has banged on about the network bubble and server side architecture for over a year, but quite simply from what i have heard from people who know as much or more about programming than rocket, do not think it should take that long, especially with a team of what 30 now?

People here took the piss out of the war z ( me included) for their measly fix lists, which were longer than the one here.

I was perfectly happy to invest in the alpha so where my friends, to support a game (not project lead) that we want to see finished. Just because we bought it doesn’t mean we have to tow the line and agree that Rocket and his team are infallible and brown nose them by telling them what a great job they are doing. Simply put now they have created a working alpha and it is out to the public with thousands of alpha testers, the fixes should be coming thick and fast, rather than 3 fixes and 4 things to be fixed. But as I said it’s the Xmas period, I don’t expect much, but when everyone is back these lists should be A LOT more extensive. If they aren’t, they are either skimping on the detail or just are not doing much.  

Edited by triggy89

Drink some disinfectent in RL.. you sound silly.

I get your point there.

But, as you said you're not a programmer.

Would you know about the architecture of the engine?

Would you know about what depends on other things?

For instance, in order to combat/stop/mitigate server hopping - do you know what needs to be changed in order to make it possible?

Do your PHD friends know?

Well, don't get me wrong. I certainly don't.

But from my own experience with projects I have to work on, that seemingly simple change doesn't only involve flipping a few switches and have it fixed.

To get things done, there are likely about 100 other things (wild, possibly exaggerated guess) that need to be worked on first in order to properly fix the real thing.

It's a problem every programmer has crossed at some point.

Of course you can always do it the dirty way but that should never be the solution.

What I wanted to say is, it would appear that the game is in a state, where things started to be complex and stuff.

It takes time to identify a bug, reproduce it (some are not always reproducable), debug that piece of code and then write a fix.

A lot of time. One might sit over a bug for days. It just happens like that.

I think it's not so much Rockets attitude of not rushing it. It's more like - it can't go much faster.

Manpower doesn't always mean faster development.

From those presumably 30 people, maybe 10 would be programmers (guesswork here).

Not all of them will be working on fixing bugs. Maybe 5. The other 5 working on implementing features. (even more guessing lol)

But of course, a nice and long "fixed" list is always a good thing to look at. For the devs aswell as the users ^^

As side note, robotics is a very complex subject (and very interesting!).

But not comparable to games programming in general.

The problems that need to be solved with either subject of programming are vastly different.

• Like 2

Take this flame war to a different thread. Talk about the patch, not about your problems with development going slowly.

Drink some disinfectent in RL.. you sound silly.

ah an Aussie, nuff said. XD

Edited by triggy89

great really didnt expect this update :)

Found a .357 magnum today before i could pick it up server restart..
:o .. lost forever

I'm fine with almost every bugs I can find, the only one really disturbing me is the "back to the coast for no reason" bug.
Anything else is just ingame bug and I'm here to expercience bugs, but I'm trying to push my adventure further inland to find (or not) new ones and I cant coz I keep searching for stuff again and again every 5 hours...
IMO, this should be on the top 3 of the bug fix list ! :3

hurray finnaly fully working magnums keep going like that ;)

lol after this update... managed to find a magnum in the corner shelf behind the door in the office building when i tried to position myself for the gear within the vicinity to show up.. suddenly .. black screen with "You are Dead" text came out...no more magnums for me in the corner spawn..... lol... 8-)

This update has made a big difference!

My character has been alive and fully kitted for quite a while now. The way I see it my only options are start a new play through or try to interact with other players. I figured I would head back south to start some interactions. It may decrease the chances of them having fire power, folks up north (including myself) tend to get a little twitchy when they run into people. I really really want to play this game as a medic. Anyway, my character has O - blood, so I can donate to anyone, which is cool.

Here's my point. While returning to the coast, I have seen several bodies on the ground. It gives one an ominous feeling, is the murder still here? Where did he go? Why did they remove this fellas pants and place them right next to his corpse but leave everything else on him? I can't wait for zombie corpses to stick around for a while. 

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the update fixing the bodies of dead people disappearing after they disconnect!

I think there are still 2 giant things that need to happen for this to be a REALLY fun/great game even as alpha. I know that you are optimizing the servers but it just isn't the same when you join a server that has been looted already. Every door is open, no zombies around, and no loot. Right now it is just switch servers until you find one that hasn't been looted and when you loot it there is NO reason to stay in that town or come back to it on that server.

Before more weapons are added and before more clothing is added I think items/zombies spawning should be the #1 priority. It will be the greatest thing for the game at this point and also entice people to stay on the same server rather than everyone switching servers to find loot.

With that being said, I think you guys are doing a great job with the Alpha so far. I can't wait until some of the bigger issues are addressed and this game is at its full potential.

• Like 1

YES!!!!

ok now ultimate badass hardcore mofos we having level playing field :thumbsup:  :D

no more compete with wallhack noob pussy ass bitches B)

2qd2vra.gif

LOL - I need to find you and feed you disenfected fruit bits. You sound fun to kill.

Does anyone know that if you exit out of a server, does your character still persist in that server until you turn the game off or log on to another server?  This may sound odd, but I logged off last night and came back on this morning, and I spawned right where I was as usual, except everything I had picked up was stolen OR disappeared from me.  The reason I say stolen is because I logged on to see my guy standing in nothing but a sweatshirt and underwear lol.  I was left with rags, can of beans, and thats it.  flashlight is gone, backpack, ammo, etc.  it was one thing to have my character wiped, but this is pretty funny if I was robbed while offline lol. 

Magnum sucks, want SKS pls, need it b4 semester starts again or I'll neva feel the feedum.

I h8 M4, too black, too maggy, need more internal mag and wood stock with fixed bayonet. 

SKS is my desire, it is my fire, the only thing that can satisfy, pls developer-kun!

Since the patch I have noticed: Magnums are spawning EVERYWHERE. I find Magnums more often than I used to find .45's.. Just go to a firehouse, there will be like 3 magnums there. It's cool, it's a cool gun, but I prefer the .45 and they are a bit harder to find now.. Ironically, the first firehouse I went to after teh patch had 2 magnums, no magnum ammo but 3 full .45 clips laying around with no .45's..

Also, I have yet to spawn anywhere except the East coast. Do we only spawn there?

who cares about magnums, just put VSS and bazooka. (sarcasm)

Awesome! Thanks for keep working on this trough the festive weeks too! Crack open a cold one, you deserve it!

great work on the bugs guys keep smashing them. Time to try out old dirty harry