fortran

DayZ Sound Design Test - Part 3 Final Added

snip

Very well put together man, loving all the sounds apart from the zombies. But that's just my personal opinion, everything else is tight as fuck

I guess all sounds are from some FX sounds pack? 

If you actually made them all yourself that fucking awsome job.

If not, I guess there are licens issues and such, can't just add them too the game. 

Anyway, if not your own FX great job, nice movies good ideas.

If your own FX, I'm amazed and you are the master of FX.

Edited by prix

You've done it again :)

It doesn't get much better than that, nice hi res samples and very authentic experience. Now who can hack these into game without rocket noticing? :P 

Appreciate that the drinking and eating sounds are much more pleasant and more subtle to the originals.

If anything though, I also feel that the storm could be more slightly more thundery but I really liked it's position. 

:beans:  :beans:  :beans: 

Thanks again guys for the comments, really appreciate it!

I guess all sounds are from some FX sounds pack? 

If you actually made them all yourself that fucking awsome job.

If not, I guess there are licens issues and such, can't just add them too the game. 

Anyway, if not your own FX great job, nice movies good ideas.

If your own FX, I'm amazed and you are the master of FX.

All the sounds have been designed from scratch utilising raw recordings from one of the following sources, my own personal field recordings, purchased professional raw library recordings, or for a handful of sounds - creative commons 0 content (for things I had no library material for or time to go out and record myself). Everything is either free of attribution & license requirement (my recordings and creative commons 0) , or , I own the licenses for and am able to distribute under the various EULA's agreed upon during purchase (various professional library recordings). So no, there are no license issues at all. Many thanks for the comment, appreciate it   :) . 

Edited by Fortran
  • Like 3

One thing I noticed is that player eating/drinking sounds seem to be a lot louder than they should be.  I shouldn't be able to hear the sound of someone gulping a soda or eating some beans through the second story of a concrete building and so on.

Wow.....superb work!

All of your sound work is fantastic.  I love the canopener noise and the bag zipping.  Nice touches.

The rifles sound precise.  Reminds me of being on the range :)

Excellent job!!!

Have to say, these clips have opened my eyes (ears?) to the importance of a good foley artists to game immersion. I must ask are there any legal restrictions limiting the volume of bullet sounds. I ask as I recently fired the 5.56mm SA80 and 7.62mm Lee Enfield and after years of gaming was amazed at the sheer volume (and this was with ear defenders) firing a real gun makes, your gun sounds are seriously by far the best I've ever heard (the indoor Mosin being my favourite), but im just wondering how loud your allowed to make them?

Is there any way we can start a petition or do something to get Dean and the devs to see this guys work, if he did this in a weekend im scared to think what he could do in a year...

And just a few suggestions, It would be cool if wearing headgear caused all the sound effects to go through various filters, like wearing a bike helmet could cause severe attenuation and filter out particular frequencies. Heavy blood loss could have a similar effect as the brain stops functioning correctly. Finally as I said before, bullets are really, really loud. Ear defenders should be included in the game and repeated firing of high calibre bullets without them should cause tinnitus.

Thanks again for those videos, they deserve more views.

Edited by YorkMorgan
  • Like 1

I hope the devs see the importance of implementing at the very least, their sounds for each of those physics interactions and doors. I cant and wont play 1st person until proper sounds are added. 

Amazing work. I know that dayz dev team already has a sound guy but they should hire you.

• Like 2

Thank god for door sounds. Door sounds are soo badly needed it isn't even funny.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, seriously appreciate it. 

Have to say, these clips have opened my eyes (ears?) to the importance of a good foley artists to game immersion. I must ask are there any legal restrictions limiting the volume of bullet sounds. I ask as I recently fired the 5.56mm SA80 and 7.62mm Lee Enfield and after years of gaming was amazed at the sheer volume (and this was with ear defenders) firing a real gun makes, your gun sounds are seriously by far the best I've ever heard (the indoor Mosin being my favourite), but im just wondering how loud your allowed to make them?

Is there any way we can start a petition or do something to get Dean and the devs to see this guys work, if he did this in a weekend im scared to think what he could do in a year...

And just a few suggestions, It would be cool if wearing headgear caused all the sound effects to go through various filters, like wearing a bike helmet could cause severe attenuation and filter out particular frequencies. Heavy blood loss could have a similar effect as the brain stops functioning correctly. Finally as I said before, bullets are really, really loud. Ear defenders should be included in the game and repeated firing of high calibre bullets without them should cause tinnitus.

Thanks again for those videos, they deserve more views.

Thanks man, as for legal restrictions, do you mean for games? If so then no, none that I am aware of. You could make them as loud as you like. The trouble is that this is the digital domain and loudness is much more than simply volume in terms of perception. Making the actual files or in-game volume balance loud is only one part of the equation. The perception of volume is much more important than simply the actual physical volume. 

Pushing the audio file levels in to the red to gain more volume or pushing them much louder in the mix in-game just causes digital clipping which can sound pretty ghastly, not to mention creating an imbalance in the mix that affects the end user depending on how they have their headset/speaker volume set. The best way to create the perception of more volume, is to simply reduce the volume of everything else (dip) during the time that sound is playing. For example, during a weapon shot the ambience and all other sound is dipped so it sits under under the weapon sound, achieving the illusion that it is actually louder than it really is. 

Anyway this is all semantics really, to answer your question yes, the weapon sounds could be a lot louder and it would not cause any legal issues, but like I said, just making them louder alone still won't get you anywhere near to the feeling or sound levels observed when firing a weapon yourself. In my opinion it is better to get a nice strong volume for weapons, a good LF component which benefits those with larger speakers or subwoofers to immitate the "kick", but all while trying to prevent the audio files/in-game mix levels from hitting the red/clipping.  

Edited by Fortran

I really don't understand how here we have an amateur (I assume) lone sound designer who has crafted these amazing sound effects and BI consistently delivers the worst sound effects in the history of gaming. Either there is no sound design talent there, they are lazy, or the engine is so messed up that it cant handle high quality sound files. 

So frustrateing to love a games concept and hate the way it is implemented and designed. (this goes for ARMA 2,3 and DayZ) 

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 1

I really don't understand how here we have an amateur (I assume) lone sound designer who has crafted these amazing sound effects and BI consistently delivers the worst sound effects in the history of gaming. Either there is no sound design talent there, they are lazy, or the engine is so messed up that it cant handle high quality sound files. 

So frustrateing to love a games concept and hate the way it is implemented and designed. (this goes for ARMA 2,3 and DayZ) 

They hired a long sound developer for Team DayZ, but so far we have not heard anything more.

Alpha has been released with the same sounds Arma2/Mod, you melee strikes that sound like a shot, rabbit reproducing sounds of zombies or soda cans  <_<

I guess we'll have to wait to see the new sounds that prepare us (when they decide to get with it ...).

What is clear is that Fortran has left big shoes to fill.   :thumbsup:  :beans:
Edited by Dresler

They hired a long sound developer for Team DayZ, but so far we have not heard anything more.

Alpha has been released with the same sounds Arma2/Mod, you melee strikes that sound like a shot, rabbit reproducing sounds of zombies or soda cans  <_<

I guess we'll have to wait to see the new sounds that prepare us (when they decide to get with it ...).

What is clear is that Fortran has left big shoes to fill.   :thumbsup:  :beans:

Yah, I heard about said, sound designer. I also was part of the ARMA 3 ALPHA and the amazing new sounds and sound engine we heard so much about really never came. They all still sounded quite amateur. So while I hope they get with the program after 14 million dollar revenue, I too think that Fortan has left us all stunned and is going to be a hard act to follow.

Edited by VictorM

Yah, I heard about said, sound designer. I also was part of the ARMA 3 ALPHA and the amazing new sounds and sound engine we heard so much about really never came. They all still sounded quite amateur. So while I hope they get with the program after 14 million dollar revenue, I too think that Fortan has left us all stunned and is going to be a hard act to follow.

yeah, kinda sad that I'm still waiting for ACE and JSRS to get over to ARMA3 before I'll start playing that again.

yeah, kinda sad that I'm still waiting for ACE and JSRS to get over to ARMA3 before I'll start playing that again.

JSRS was released for ARMA 3. I was left unimpressed with this iteration considering how awesome the one for ARMA 2 was. I don't know why. Check it out yourself I guess. 

Thanks again guys. This will probably be my last post in this topic as it has now run its course, don't think there is much need to create any more of these videos at this point in time, will now be looking forward to hearing what the new sound designer brings to SA, as and when we get some updates that include their work. The feedback & critique both here and over on the DayZ subreddit has been absolutely great and I seriously appreciate the replies from everybody who posted. Thanks again everybody.