combatcomm1

Everyone is suffocating! Gas masks issue.

I know this isn't a huge deal at this point in development, I just wanted to bring it to the devs attention if they so happen to run across this thread. The gas masks models do not have filters on them. Without filters you literally cannot breath, I just tried it with my M50. 

So hopefully filters will also be something you must find in the world in order to craft a working gas mask once we have whatever air borne danger they are in the game for. Should you be able to wear a gas mask without filters? That depends on the depth of realism we want but I suspect the majority will say yes. They just want to wear the gas mask. 

I think they should collapse and die after a few minutes.  :P

• Like 10

M50... oh God now I'm going to have nightmares about exercises in the Pacific

6 hours 25 minutes. That it the longest I was ever in MOPP 4. You really start to go stir crazy. You? 

6 hours 25 minutes. That it the longest I was ever in MOPP 4. You really start to go stir crazy. You? 

I'm not in the military, so I'm just gonna guess that it gets hard to breathe in a gasmask?

I'm not in the military, so I'm just gonna guess that it gets hard to breathe in a gasmask?

Well for one, the chemical suit is extremely hot. And yeah, 6 hours with something on your face breathing out of relatively tiny holes in the filter sucks. 

I use to love when the excersises were during the -7 below winters. Keep you decently warm. But then if you didn't have a good seal your mask would fog up. And you wouldn't dare adjust less one of the inspectors saw you and they'd "kill you"

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 1

Breathing isn't too difficult. It's mainly the fact that you are wearing so many layer and layers of clothing, all sealed off. All of your sweat just pools up in your boots and your top... and your mask. Longest I went was around 4 hours. By the time it was finished, the sweat was damn near up to my cheek bones. Also, keep in mind you're randomly going in and out of your gear throughout a 12 hour shift, for a 4-5 day period.

Edited by Mallow88
  • Like 1

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/images/international/20030321_iraq_CHEMICAL//for_iraq_CHEMICAL_01_07.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/MOPP_4_high_res.JPEG

That guy, smiling in the second picture? Was probably ready to murder someone to get the suit off five minutes later.

• Like 1

Well for one, the chemical suit is extremely hot. And yeah, 6 hours with something on your face breathing out of relatively tiny holes in the filter sucks. 

I use to love when the excersises were during the -7 below winters. Keep you decently warm. But then if you didn't have a good seal your mask would fog up. And you wouldn't dare adjust less one of the inspectors saw you and they'd "kill you"

That makes a bit more sense.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/images/international/20030321_iraq_CHEMICAL//for_iraq_CHEMICAL_01_07.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/MOPP_4_high_res.JPEG

That guy, smiling in the second picture? Was probably ready to murder someone to get the suit off five minutes later.

I never had to wear my mask in the desert thank god. The scene from Jarhead comes to mind though. Playing football in the desert with that on. 

I never had to wear my mask in the desert thank god. The scene from Jarhead comes to mind though. Playing football in the desert with that on. 

I haven't seen Jarhead. I have seen jarheads with it on at Camp Schwab, Okinawa Japan and it didn't look like they were having fun at the time.

From my expirience of israeli m15 gas mask,sprinting with gas mask kills your stamina and your aim,not only, you have to change the filter every 8 hours.

Because gas mask purely as it is without the filter,protects you only from dust in eyes ,lol, every "airborn" decease or chemecal can and will get into your lungs.

Devs should add this to the game !

• Like 1

I remember having to shoot an M16 while wearing a gas mask was definitely a much greater pain in the ass than without. Aiming down your sights isn't as simple with a gas mask + filters on.

From my expirience of israeli m15 gas mask,sprinting with gas mask kills your stamina and your aim,not only, you have to change the filter every 8 hours.

Because gas mask purely as it is without the filter,protects you only from dust in eyes ,lol, every "airborn" decease or chemecal can and will get into your lungs.

Devs should add this to the game !

Omg, the M50 are the same when sprinting. I was in full chem gear and had to run up 3 flights of outdoor stairs under "gun" fire. (Blanks) By the time I got up there with my combat load, flak vest with plate, chem suit and those stupid rubber boots I had to sit against a wall and rest for about 30 seconds before "engaging" the enemy. 

God I miss MILES gear.

Now adays they more often use SimRounds. Unfortunately I am stateside now and not augmenting Security Forces.  :(

Edited by VictorM

I have a Swedish gas mask. Can breath without the filter.

I tried to you a left-handed gas mask in 105 degree wether wearing a military jacket and tactical vest, carrying a 14-pound airsoft gun and 20 poundd of ammo. 

I didn't play for very long.

I'm glad 30 minutes is probably the longest for me and that's without movement mostly or light movement. Trying to drink water in a mask. Screw it I'll die of dehydration. 

You don't need filters to breathe in a gas mask. A filter is what it is, a FILTER. It only filters the air you breathe in, it doesn't hinder you from breathing if you don't have it on.

• Like 1

I have a Swedish gas mask. Can breath without the filter.

I tried to you a left-handed gas mask in 105 degree wether wearing a military jacket and tactical vest, carrying a 14-pound airsoft gun and 20 poundd of ammo. 

I didn't play for very long.

Do you know the model? The model in the game looks very similar to the M50 but obviously I could be wrong. 

You don't need filters to breathe in a gas mask. A filter is what it is, a FILTER. It only filters the air you breathe in, it doesn't hinder you from breathing if you don't have it on.

By your username I am going to guess you don't know the F you are talking about. You're an idiot. I bet the only use you have for a gas mask is to hot box yourself. Put an M50 on, take the filters off and try and breath. I hope you suffocate! 

The M50 has little air gaskets that will not let you suck air in if the filters are off, granted, the mask in the game may not be an M50. Sure looks like one though. 

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 5

If they were to add breating issues for the sake of realism, I think they should also limit the field of view with it on.  I've worn one for a while when I was in "the desert" and the loss of your peripheral vision in a combat situation is unsettling.  Speaking of realistic vision changes, I wish the sun glasses in the game would actually block some sun light too.

It's just an item of clothing. Don't need to make the game fucka difficult. There needs to be some easy going areas of it. People would play it less and less.

I know theres tons of Hardcore fans and I can appreciate that but for the most of the players...They'll just end up not playing again after a certain amount of time. 

The game needs to have some fun not just all fuck you in your face everything is going to kill you 24/7

• Like 1

Do you know the model? The model in the game looks very similar to the M50 but obviously I could be wrong. 

I believe the model in the game is the Czech M10M. Also, as far as I can tell, the in-game one DOES have filters.

If they were to add breating issues for the sake of realism, I think they should also limit the field of view with it on.  I've worn one for a while when I was in "the desert" and the loss of your peripheral vision in a combat situation is unsettling.  Speaking of realistic vision changes, I wish the sun glasses in the game would actually block some sun light too.

Whole-heartedly agree, Id love to see an overlay on first person view of gas mask eyelets

I believe the model in the game is the Czech M10M. Also, as far as I can tell, the in-game one DOES have filters.

Yah, looks similar, but uh, where are the filters?? The thing in the front is a voice box and canteen hose. The two outlets/inlets on the cheeks are for the filters. So I dont agree at this point. 

Your "czech" gas mask is actually the American M17, old as all hell, so I dont know the workings of it and whether you can breath out of it without the filter canisters inserted. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M17_gas_mask

EDIT: Disregard, I really dont know, this is the only pic I can come up with?? Maybe the filters are are on the inside of the mask unlike the M50 that has them on the outside. 

MLT-9101.jpg

Edited by VictorM

Yah, looks similar, but uh, where are the filters?? The think in the front is a voice box and canteen hose. The two outlets/inlets on the cheeks are for the filters. So I dont agree at this point. 

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/124345459/Military_Surplus_Czech_M10M_Gas_Mask_with.jpg_250x250.jpg

The filters are the 2 pads in the bottom left of the picture. I think they are placed along the inside of the mask.

EDIT: Found a video explaining how to attach the filters.

Edited by Aanex
  • Like 1

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/124345459/Military_Surplus_Czech_M10M_Gas_Mask_with.jpg_250x250.jpg

The filters are the 2 pads in the bottom left of the picture. I think they are placed along the inside of the mask.

I think you are right. This is the American made M17, (M10M Czech Repub.) This is why I love making topics like this. You learn something everyday.  Filters inside. Disregard thread.  :)

I'll play devils advocate here though and suggest you should still have to find and craft the filters to the mask in order to be effective.  :)

Edited by VictorM