-DMG-Jonesy

Server hoppers: A renewable resource.

Sorry, nobody is going to wait 15 minutes to rejoin their favorite server especially playing with friends. If the mod was any lesson, kicks happen frequently and for various reasons. The SA will probably not be any different or at least until many of the bugs are sorted, but never eliminated.

I'm interested to see what course the team takes to resolve the issue. The recurring theme among users here on possible fixes include some sort of time delay. Adding more delays and restrictions is a sure fire way to induce frustration for legit players whos time is better spent playing than watching a countdown timer. 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree on the "rarely any hacks and glitchers". There is no doubting the public hives for the mod were a disaster and with no way for the admin to fix the mess directly, you were basically screwed. The private hives for the mod were no better despite having the ability to rollback. If your server was even remotely popular, you'd get hit all day long.

There's no easy answer and am sure the team is well aware of these issues and the best course of action. Only time will tell if they're able to deal with it in a manner that's effective, but isn't overbearing to the point of not wanting to even bother playing.

Ladies and Gentleman. What we have here is a traditional server hopper trying to protect it's natural territory from destruction. 

They'll wait 15 minutes if Rocket tells them they have to wait 15 minutes! Guaranteed! Gamers are naturally easily addicted. 

Edited by VictorM

Nah, making all public servers that way is a retard level kind of fix.

If it's a private server, okay sure, no problem.  But sorry, your "solution" is whack.

Also once they tweak loot respawn, server hopping obviously won't be a big deal.  Most people are getting SA tunnel vision and can't see the obvious tweaks that will occur.  Same with logout time to deter combat loggers.

Servers should have admins as like rabbits or crows or something. Something so they can see all the players. They can see who logged in and logged off just as quickly and ban them if they're in the military buildings.

Server hopping is fucked up.

One guy even ghosted me and a friend. Heard shots and my friend was hit I looked back while running he wass on the road he logged off...I patched up my friend and we continued to run. Next 3 minutes later the same guy was waiting for us under a bill board shooting more shots that all missed. 

Something needs to be done.

This is rockets fault that they made server hopping so easy. I mean who want to run 5 hours to get fully geared in ''legit'' way(well i've done it atleast 5 times), but people who want to pvp fast rather just hop 10 times and be fully geared in 20minutes..

The problem is that at this moment, several features affecting ghosting/hopping mentality still are not fully functional, most notable the loot respawns. I hope it will reduce ghosting/hopping. I played DayZ with a logout timer and to be honest, I really liked it. But before we can think about such mechanics, the current have to be working to fully assess the situation.

Already tried to address this as an opinion in the alpha to be put higher on priority list.  Fanboi's came the rescue to ensure this in an alpha and that we are stupid... don't be fooled, your opinion does not matter.

Already tried to address this as an opinion in the alpha to be put higher on priority list.  Fanboi's came the rescue to ensure this in an alpha and that we are stupid... don't be fooled, your opinion does not matter.

"Missing feature X, devs address that missing feature X will be worked on/being worked on"

"People make posts complaining feature X is missing from the ALPHA" -> "Someone points out that it is indeed an alpha" -> "More posts people complaining about people pointing out that its an alpha"

Yes, because it's been addressed and they are going to work on a solution, pointing that out does not make someone a fanboy.

Discussing various behaviours/mechanics isn't the same as complaining that its not yet in the alpha.

If you mean this post:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/155643-why-is-this-not-in-the-game-yet/

I can explain. People agree with you that hopping/ghosting is bad. However, you come with a solution, and some people don't like this solution. This is not fanboy, I don't like your idea either.

Also, not only do you provide your solution as THE solution, you think it is should be implemented as fast as possible, which is quite weird to do in an alpha. The goal is developping the game in the long run, not give players a more enjoyable experience in the short term (however, with these release models it is usually a combination of the two).

Also, you started thread #100 or so about it. Use the search and merge your point with another thread. If you run into a specific problem twice, chances are you are not the only one experiencing them, so search!

Edited by Liquidje

Sorry, nobody is going to wait 15 minutes to rejoin their favorite server especially playing with friends.

Actually what I meant when I said that was that if they try to join a NEW server they incur the 15 minute wait time. This also stops users from engaging in a fight, switching servers and then getting into a better position and rejoining the first server so they can get an easy kill.

Here is an edit to show EXACTLY what I meant:

How to solve server hoppers:

More private hive servers.

Logout time. You can leave the server instantly but your body stays behind for 30 seconds.

Relog cooldown. You cannot join a new server without getting a 15 minute wait time but can rejoin the same server without a cooldown.

Loot spawns. Make them more random, stop respawning instantly after server reset, and have them spawn after a certain amount of time

More loot locations.

So in reality to stop server hoppers we just need to wait for the game to get more features.

This situation is very simply fixed....you simply drop everyone to main menu when they log out of a server, rather than the server select screen.

Then use SQL record timestamps for charID/serverID to keep a running record of log in/log out times and a running record of say..the last 10 servers joined.

Then simply use a quick hive check when loading the main menu which sends a string to client based on the following very loose statement

if (timestamp) <= (timevariable) set charIDLockout to (locktimevariable);

You can guess what charIDLockout is....its a big red delay timer over your character and no access to the Play or Change Server buttons for that period of time. The more a person switches servers over a period of time, the longer the lockout timer becomes.

This kills server hopping dead in its tracks. Without penalizing natural server migration during normal play. It can also be used in conjunction with combat logging with some adaptation because all you have to do is check for health damage of >= a certain expected amount for combat damage (say...2500 for example..or one 5.56 round) within a short period of time prior to logout. If all conditions are present....same deal...lock out timer. And same approach for timed penalities.

This is all very easily achieved with the systems currently in play in the alpha and I'll be very surprised if the development team doesn't already have something like this on the fire.

Edited by semipr0

I actually tried to server hop so I could get a drink or a shirt that has loot spots before I left the coast.. But the town was empty, even on night servers. That is definitely the most annoying part.

I have went into a jailhouse and hopped to another server where I found a M4, but I just trying to get a weapon so I have means to take out bandits, because I play the hero in DayZ, I use my gear to help others. Recently I gave a random bambi a fnx45 just to help him out.

I actually tried to server hop so I could get a drink or a shirt that has loot spots before I left the coast.. But the town was empty, even on night servers. That is definitely the most annoying part.

I do not believe it.

even in a populated server you can go to another town to find gears.

this is the realism in the game.

Timer is definitely the way to go with the solution. It also solves other problems the game has too.

For anyone complaining about the idea of a timer, there are legitimate reasons to change server, sure.

For example, I could be playing - and the server starts lagging. I might have two or three servers ready - so when one is buggy, I can switch to another. Problem solved - and I don't encounter a wait timer of any form.

Now, the one thing I would say about wait timers is there should be an option to skip it - and start a new character. When people are first getting into the game, this would give them the option to try a few servers out and collect a couple into their favourites that they know is normally okay for them. To encourage this with people who aren't part of the community, it should be warned on the server selection screen somewhere about the problem of a timer - and the suggestion to find a few that you can use.

There is no legitimate reason to switch servers more than once an hour - and that's being very generous, therefore there is no real reason to oppose timers. Private hives however, do cause problems for legitimate players.

Today I camped military base, just north from Veresnik on low populated 1st person only server ( 2/40 ).

Killed 5 server hoppers in a hour.

All of them packed with bullets and food.

Server hoppers are truly a great renewable source of items.

• Like 3

It's a very hard problem to stop indeed, especially on public servers.

Private hives are so much better for this, and I honestly can't wait until my friend puts his up for Alpha. 

Private hives are so much better for this, and I honestly can't wait until my friend puts his up for Alpha. 

Since they have announced that they are working on curbing combat logging, I suspect that whatever they come up with will also reduce server hopping to some degree, at least if it is something like a log off timer or something similar.

I don't see it as a problem.  I'm still raking in the sweet, sweet server hopper loot.  Got a guy logging into the elektro firehouse this morning.  Almost 400 rounds of 7.62.

Happy days.

• Like 1

To be honest when I have a weapon and enough ammo to last me a while I stay out the way of the military places. I was at NWAF in the tower just last night and in the space of 15min I had killed one hopper, and watched another log around 10min later.

After that I realised how bad it was and decided to lay down in a bush over looking the tower to see how frequent it was. I must of seen about 5 people in the space of 45min all spawn in the tower and quickly raid it. This was all done on a 4 hour restart server with 7-9 people in at the time due to it being night.

• Like 1

Actually there is more than just  that but ok. If thats what you want go play the mod again - I hate it  and hope servers will  stay like this and they find another way.

They can.  As many suggestions offered have already indicated, log-out timers and preventative measures have already been discussed.  There's no reason why they should or will make characters server-specific.

I am guilty of server hopping but I do it on the ship, you can get Magnums', .357 rounds, Mosin and rounds plus 35 slot bagpacks. I collect Magnums' and rounds and go back to a spawn point to hand them out to new spawns. Most run away and ignore you though.