Sign in to follow this  
globalfriction

Suggestion: Left Hand Option (W/Pictures)

Some people are left handed so why not have the option in game to change you dominant hand.

I understand that there are things that should be fixed before this so don't remind me

*Click for pictures*

Left Hand Obviously this is just a flipped image but if this were actually in the game the model would be the same just with the hands swapped.

eftycomplete.jpg?t=1388380329

Edited by GlobalFriction

I actually went to the gun range today and am a left handed shooter. I still find this very awkward to look at for some reason.

• Like 1

Hope you like shells in ur face.

Good luck finding a left hand M4 receiver if you don't.

A lot of left handers just learn to shoot right handed.

Shot several weapons with a right side ejection port. 

If you're not shooting a bullpub, I don't think you're suppose to place your face next to the upper receiver. 

I actually went to the gun range today and am a left handed shooter. I still find this very awkward to look at for some reason.

Yeah - actually I find it odd too and I am a filthy lefty... Might look more natural in 3D with Oculus Rift :)

Edited by Roshi

My AR is left handed, had to spend some $$ to get it done. Haven't really had a problem firing my friends weapons with the ejected brass but if used enough I could see it happening.

I loved the idea, but they should be worried about other stuff in this moment. I mean, the important stuff

I'm left handed myself, shoot left handed, left eye dominant. I'm also lazy, so instead of moving the mouse every time I sat at a new computer in school, I just started using the mouse with my right hand. A few games offers a mirrored left hand UI, but it always messes with me, I've just become used to the regular right hand UI and especially with all DayZ's animations, I think it's not realistic to spend man hours on this.

I only commented, because no one places their face next to the ejector, your face is usually placed somewhere behind the back sights, unless you're doing some kind of super urban ninja shooting.

I think the shoulder switch mechanic that the last of us have is perfect for this, it will also probably allow more versatility, in movement when in cover.

I think the shoulder switch mechanic that the last of us have is perfect for this, it will also probably allow more versatility, in movement when in cover.

Yea I also thought of this. Don't know if it is realistic, though.

Seems like a serious waste of development time tbh.

Don't think it would be, mirroring animations is extremely easy and Im almost certain that the ArmA engine already supports it.

The only problem would be adding a new option on the UI.

As long as this doesnt involve adding new content (ie. weapons with the ejection port on the other side) it should be fairly straight forward.

Never played The Last of US, but ArmA 3 has a "urban prone" reaction hand shoulder animation. I think the main reason, why these animations aren't used in DayZ is because they are considered advanced shooting techniques and they want DayZ animations to be more civilian oriented.

Edited by Dallas

Shot several weapons with a right side ejection port. 

If you're not shooting a bullpub, I don't think you're suppose to place your face next to the upper receiver. 

When I shoot the M-16 series of rifles my nose is close enough to get popped by the charging handle. >:(

That picture looks left handed because all he's done is flip the image. The forward assist is on the wrong side of the weapon.

And there is no such thing as a left handed M4 in the military. The little angled thing directly behind the ejection port is a spent casing deflector. That's what makes an M4 ambidextrous. It deflects the brass straight out to the right.

I would love to see left handed shooters in dayz!

We do not!most of the time We just deal with it.

*Awkwardly cycles right handed bolt action*

I really need to get a lever action....

I support this suggestion whole heartedly.

Edited by Dchil

When I shoot the M-16 series of rifles my nose is close enough to get popped by the charging handle. >:(

I...but...what? You know the charging handle doesn't move when you fire...right? What the hell are you talking about?

• Like 1

Yea I also thought of this. Don't know if it is realistic, though.

Yeah, not really realistic as most weapons I've handled in real life are strictly right handed. But gameplay should take top priority over realism.

Yeah, not really realistic as most weapons I've handled in real life are strictly right handed. But gameplay should take top priority over realism.

Tell that to my Norinco.

mewiththenorinco_zpsc30be2c9.jpg

Note: Foam is only there to raise the comb so i can get a proper cheek weld on it. The stock was not made with scopes in mind. Makes me wish that the irons were still on it. I really need to find some...

Never played The Last of US, but ArmA 3 has a "urban prone" reaction hand shoulder animation. I think the main reason, why these animations aren't used in DayZ is because they are considered advanced shooting techniques and they want DayZ animations to be more civilian oriented.

I think its cause this game wasn't built on Arma 3, i miss my sitting down/prone :(

There's a subtle difference between being impossible to operate left handed and being easier to operate right handed.

No doubt many weapons makes it a little bit slower to manipulate the safety switch, but unless you place the ejection port behind the back sights, it's not impossible to fire standard weapons left handed. I remember a DI wanting us to train throwing dummy hand grenades with our right hand, because the pin was easier to pull for right handed person. Luckily the range instructor ended that dangerous level of stupidity and told us to simply turn the grenade slightly, so we could pull the pin with out right hand and throw with our left and probably saved our lives that day.

• Like 1

Glad to see the sort of shit isn't only limited to my army... 'every second person in the patrol will hold the rifle the other way'. Never mind that I can't aim for shit with my off hand.

Edited by Merrick362
  • Like 1

this would literally take 10 mins

Unless you haven't noticed, Dean's mantra is "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." Simply mirroring the model ala Counter Strike results in a physically inaccurate model of the weapon, as the ejection port and other operations end up on the wrong side. This means to do it correctly, you have to make all new animations.

Besides, what is the point aside from aesthetics? Many lefties shoot right handed anyway. As stated, the ejection port of like 90% of weapons is on the right side, which means shooting it lefty would result in hot brass in your face and possibly in your clothes.