redfirm

Removing chat function sucks for deaff players

So, i have talked to a few players who simply cannot communicate in the game any longer since they are deaf. so typing is their only form of communication in games.

I think you should give players the option to chat for this sole reason.(these people do not own a headset or a mic, bcuz they cant use it)

Edited by redfirm
  • Like 2

You can still use direct text chat? I use it all the time. There is no server wide audio chat in the game anyway and it was usually bannable to use it in the mod version on 90% of the servers.

You can type in direct chat by hitting "/" key. There is no side chat enabled and I hope it stays that way.

I think the issue OP is having here is that people who aren't deaf usually use voice programs as alternative communication to meet up and such. Playing with friends isn't uncommon at all, but there only being direct chat makes it increasingly difficult for deaf players. I don't think re-introducing global chat is the right solution for this, though. I think that implementing groups and group chats would be a more reasonable approach.

I think the issue OP is having here is that people who aren't deaf usually use voice programs as alternative communication to meet up and such. Playing with friends isn't uncommon at all, but there only being direct chat makes it increasingly difficult for deaf players. I don't think re-introducing global chat is the right solution for this, though. I think that implementing groups and group chats would be a more reasonable approach.

how about chatting through steam like everybody ever?

• Like 5

Most people use a headset to communicate. So People with a hearing impairment won't be able to respond on most situations unless they type...

Jeeze that's hard....

Need to be some translator system for that issue.

how about chatting through steam like everybody ever?

Yes, because switching to/bringing up the steam conversation every time you wish to communicate is the same thing :p

It's a legitimate problem, but like others have said, I don't think reintroducing global chat is the right way to go.

Yes, because switching to/bringing up the steam conversation every time you wish to communicate is the same thing :P

The Steam overlay works just fine in the SA and is as quick as typing in Direct. There are other overlays that are out there as well so I don't think this is really an issue that doesn't have a fix.

If you are within range of direct chat VOIP, you're also in range of the direct chat text... range. As it's the same. People who spot the guy and attempt to communicate through voip before shooting, will still use VOIP, Global chat or not. And no, please... Maybe one out of every 500 players is deaf. Yet chat will be filled up by randoms anyway. And it would be like a continuous monologue for the other people on the server. If they are in a group they can still use direct chat texting, right? it doesn't have to be sent to every client on the server...

Edited by Ratiasu

Nice try at pulling at everyone's heart strings to justify that annoying and immersion breaking global chat. tsk tsk what a tool.

• Like 2

I can see how it would really suck being deaf playing DayZ. Some guy tells you to freeze over direct voice chat, you would just ignore him and get killed for it. But, I guess that's life.

Not really a game for the deaf, honestly if they have no idea where gun fire is coming from at any time they're going to die alot and not have a good time. This is a game a defaf person should definitely NOT play. But implementing entire systems to cater to a select few, disability or not is just not going to happen.

Not really a game for the deaf, honestly if they have no idea where gun fire is coming from at any time they're going to die alot and not have a good time. This is a game a defaf person should definitely NOT play. But implementing entire systems to cater to a select few, disability or not is just not going to happen.

I would expect most deaf gamers would use some kind of vibration or visualization system to interpret the sound coming from their speakers.

U can see where shots come from on screen. But yeag. Everybody had good ideas and arguments. I just hope the dev team looks into it

It's also gonna suck for colourblind people, how can they tell what camo is the best not to get spotted? But you can't cater for every demographic that plays, as mean as that sounds, especially when it could end up interfering with gameplay for the vast majority of players without the disability.

There is no in-game global and it should stay that way. People use other programs to coordinate meetups. Use a chat program to coordinate over long distances. When you are nearby you can use direct chat in game.

Wow, the insensitivity to disabled people around here is disgusting.

The more I see your posts the more I get the feeling you are one of those liberal high and mighty "Everyone must bow down to the less fortunate and help them or cater to them or you are terrible person" people who at the same time never donates anything to anyone. People who think somehow charging electric cars with energy made in coal factories that pollute the air saves the planet and you are better for it comes to mind. So what shall we do for the deaf and colorblind Ocelot? Hmm? Is direct chat not good enough? 

Get over yourself dude, no one is being insensitive to anyone. Games don't usually cater to the deaf, mentally challenged, quadriplegic or colorblind. That is what everyone in here is saying. I didn't see one post saying "fuck the deaf they will just have to deal with it!" 

But hey maybe Bohemia can be the first to invest millions in some sort of brail that appears on monitors for them. You can donate to them since you are so enlightened and sensitive to the betterment of the disabled world. 

Edited by VictorM
  • Like 1

Hello there

Whilst Ozelot and myself dont often agree on things, in this case I do think he is correct.

Also, I *AM* a bleeding heart liberal.

If there is a real need for a system to be implemented then it should be considered. But, these things will have to be weighed up and evaluated.

One would assume that deaf players in the majority already do have systems in place to cope with comms in many games, so the likelyhood would be that many would use existing established tools.

If indeed this is one of those threads made to cause argument, well then leave it to the mods to sort. If you are concerned, use that report button.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Wow, the insensitivity to disabled people around here is disgusting.

I just fail to see how global chat helps with this. And even if it did, you'd be bothering a huge amount of players by reintroducing sidechat, just so a few can have an easier time, even though there are alternatives they should, could, and probably are using, anyway.

What you might want to consider before this gets COMPLETELY off topic, is that the OP is talking about the bug whereby some survivors don't see others direct communication. There are plenty of other threads about this issue now, thank Christ.

I'm one of the people affected by this bug, so you can kinda think of me as a disabled person (I also have really bad eyesight, my shoulder is bung from wrestling and knees from skateboarding).

What you might want to consider before this gets COMPLETELY off topic, is that the OP is talking about the bug whereby some survivors don't see others direct communication. There are plenty of other threads about this issue now, thank Christ.

I'm one of the people affected by this bug, so you can kinda think of me as a disabled person (I also have really bad eyesight, my shoulder is bung from wrestling and knees from skateboarding).

The reason you're not seeing direct chat is probably because there's no Default mic set in your windows mixer options. Look in the Temporary troubleshooting-thread on page 7 or 8, I explained what to do there. It's a bug that's in Arma2 as well but it would be nice if they fixed it or at least gave people a hint as to what's causing it.