Sign in to follow this  
serenityrick

Since 'zombie' hordes are confirmed.. what would you consider a "horde"?

Rocket has confirmed several times that there will be roaming hordes of zombies in the country side moving in and through towns and as far as I know has not gone back on this promise so what would you consider a "horde"? Or what would you like to see? What kind of behavior? How many?

I have heard people mention groups of 10-20 and others near 100. I wonder if the latter would be technologically feasible? I hope so. I can only imagine a scenario where I'm hoofing it through the woods and all of a sudden up ahead I see upwards of one hundred (or more?) zombies migrating through... that would scare the shit out of me. Or cresting over a hill and seeing a massive horde train of zombies chasing a poor survivor at top speed through a field with no hope of surviving the ordeal. (I am of the opinion that zombies should be faster than the players in order to make them more of a threat, especially in groups)

thoughts?

Well lets put it like this... if it ISN'T something like 50-100 they won't be any real threat to a veteran survivor, or survivors.

Same goes for the cities. If they don't have 100-200 zombies in the big cities, they won't be any real threat.

In my dreams? I would love to see 10000 zombies on the map at any time.

Realistically? Hordes of 50 would be scary enough, especially if they make the zombies the 28 days later style, faster and stronger than you.

They should have a horde of 50-100 that goes from city to city, when its on its way sirens in the city go off and players either run or seek shelter and close all the doors.

Players will try and harbor other players to live it out instead of killing them on sight

Edited by Frell
  • Like 1

I'd love to see 100+ - the Oblivion Lost Mod for Stalker introduced mutant hordes after blowouts that were around that range ... not exactly the same thing, but, depending on how strong the zombies are (not at all at the moment) it would be pretty awesome to see more than a hundred. Since they're server side it might be difficult in terms of performance, but would be fun.

As much as most more us want to see horde of zeds, I wonder the effect it's going to have on the servers and your FPS..

From what I've read the "Horde" will consist of a group large enough that you will not be able to shoot them all with a LMG if they are coming at you. Your best bet when coming across a Horde would be to, RUN. Unless of course you are a large squad that enjoys wasting precious (soon to be) ammo on a horde of Zeds instead of a Horde of Bambis.

From what I've read the "Horde" will consist of a group large enough that you will not be able to shoot them all with a LMG if they are coming at you. Your best bet when coming across a Horde would be to, RUN. Unless of course you are a large squad that enjoys wasting precious (soon to be) ammo on a horde of Zeds instead of a Horde of Bambis.

Sooo, since an average LMG has 100 rounds, the zombie horde would be 100+?

Well there is an actual zombie list somewhere you can look up. I don't know the exact site however I'll try from memory.

Few 1 - 24

Pack 25 - 49

Lots 50 - 99

Horde 100 - 249

Throng 250 - 499

Swarm 500 - 999

Zounds 1000-2499

Legion 2500 - 4999

Bulk 5000 - 9999

Giga >10,00

I'll look around and see if I can find the site. Ill edit this if I do.

EDIT! What I found is used for a Game called Evony. However I would call a true horde to be around 25-50

Edited by FoamNinja

First FIX the zombie AI than we will talk about hordes. Unless you like zombies  that agro miles away and running though houses to kill you. Rocket should be learning what happened from the mistakes ISS has made with massive zombies hordes without fixing there issues and  trying to complete the game.

First FIX the zombie AI than we will talk about hordes. Unless you like zombies  that agro miles away and running though houses to kill you. Rocket should be learning what happened from the mistakes ISS has made with massive zombies hordes without fixing there issues and  trying to complete the game.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it goes without saying....

I want to be able to run away from a horde IF (they should add a stamina bar) i have stamina, otherwise i would have to spend all my bullets and even bash their heads with my axe and if i get totally overrun, lock myself into a house n pray for help to come, if not i will die. But this wouldnt happen if I wasnt traveling alone. Thats why survivors should stick togheter and share beans.

I want to be able to run away from a horde IF (they should add a stamina bar) i have stamina, otherwise i would have to spend all my bullets and even bash their heads with my axe and if i get totally overrun, lock myself into a house n pray for help to come, if not i will die. But this wouldnt happen if I wasnt traveling alone. Thats why survivors should stick togheter and share beans.

Zombie run speed, in my opinion, should be somewhere between a player's Sprint and Jog speed.. 

Then, they need to make it so you cannot infinitely sprint. length of sprinting should be tied to health with a maximum of like 60 seconds if fully healthy.. this way, if you still have not evaded a horde and have to start jogging, they'll catch up eventually.

Again, I think the goal should be that they are a threat. At the moment, players can outrun zombies all day long. Aggroing one, two, three, etc is no big deal. In the current build, even if you could aggro 50+ it's no big deal. I think that has to change

Well there is an actual zombie list somewhere you can look up. I don't know the exact site however I'll try from memory.

Few 1 - 24

Pack 25 - 49

Lots 50 - 99

Horde 100 - 249

Throng 250 - 499

Swarm 500 - 999

Zounds 1000-2499

Legion 2500 - 4999

Bulk 5000 - 9999

Giga >10,00

I'll look around and see if I can find the site. Ill edit this if I do.

EDIT! What I found is used for a Game called Evony. However I would call a true horde to be around 25-50

This list is the same as the list from the old game Heroes of Might and Magic, same terms and same numbers (only Bulk and Giga are added)

Let's be honest, even a horde of 100 wouldn't be too bad seeing as how zombies are a one hit kill (60 round coupled mag anyone?) and you can outrun them. It'd be a bit of a hassle but completely managable

150-200 would be scary. I mean, i shit my pants when i see 4 random zombies. I can't imagine what i'll do when I see over 100.

honestly think multiple hordes of 25-50 is enough. multiple as with maybe 4 groups that just roam and according to player noises they will hit that direction.

Also by the time this is implemented Zs are going to be tweaked by then hopefully as well, with that the only one shot kill with be the head. 

Now imagine you running at night a come across a horde in the woods lol

Let's be honest, even a horde of 100 wouldn't be too bad seeing as how zombies are a one hit kill (60 round coupled mag anyone?) and you can outrun them. It'd be a bit of a hassle but completely managable

At least half of the horde would reach you before you killed them all assuming they start running at you after the first shot. You can't just spray because of recoil and them running at you from different angles plus other zombies in the area you might have alerted coming at you from behind.

I'm pretty sure once the game is out of alpha, Zombies will move a lot faster  than a player carrying weapons and sprinting will be limited based on how much you carry so you'll be pretty screwed trying to take on a horde solo.

Edited by Rocksteady