Sign in to follow this  
kataro

SKS A mix of DMR and M14 ?

Nope, all those properties are in the projectiles and magazines.

I don't think they should dumb down ammunition to make it easier to find it. Most people seem to want it to be harder to find. Rocket put blood types in, I would be disappointed if we didn't have ammunition types.

You telling me Muzzle velocity and energy is tied to the ammo it uses wow that seems pretty counter productive.

Why should a 8 inch aks 74 u produce the same muzzle velocity as a full sized ak 74 when in fact the bullet travels a whooping 500 fps slower in the krinkov.

Well it shares the same ammo but hopefully not the same damage properties.

I sorta welcome this change in ammo. It's unrealistic to have these 3 calibers share the same ammo but at the same time it makes it so there isnt a vast amount of different ammo types.

Hopefully it has lower damage properties long with decreased muzzle velocity and greater bullet drop.

No, sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous man. If you guys don't know anything regarding firearms, don't comment on a thread about firearms. SKS and Mosin don't use the same ammunition. SKS is 7.62x39, while the Mosin is 7.62x54R. Not to mention the fact that people just say 7.62 when they mean 7.62x51 NATO which they should just call .308, which is the other name for it. Both the devs and the player base of DayZ should actually have some knowledge before they do this stupid stuff lol

• Like 3

Yea also idk if there is a set model for the sks yet. Could be a completely modernized version with an updated chassis with rails, retractile stock, and pistol grip. What shouldn't change is the caliber or chambered rounds it takes. As i mentioned before if you're gonna use blood types you damn well better keep the right ammo types, also it makes people read things more carefully before picking up boxes of ammo that your gun doesn't use.

Just wait until they add AK variants with their 7.62 and 5.45x39

Edited by Shadyfizzle
  • Like 1

Could be wrong, but looking at the texture, it kinda looks like it's a Yugo SKS... huh. I see what appears to be a muzzle brake (looks like the grenade launcher had a bunch of holes drilled into it) and part of the grenade launcher sights. Also it seems to have night sights.

Yes, it's almost certainly a Yugo SKS.

I tried to make one of those a while back so I recognize some of the pieces. My model was pretty basic.

ArMz3pd.png

No, sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous man. If you guys don't know anything regarding firearms, don't comment on a thread about firearms. SKS and Mosin don't use the same ammunition. SKS is 7.62x39, while the Mosin is 7.62x54R. Not to mention the fact that people just say 7.62 when they mean 7.62x51 NATO which they should just call .308, which is the other name for it. Both the devs and the player base of DayZ should actually have some knowledge before they do this stupid stuff lol

Hmmm I know the difference.

I was merely saying how using more common ammo in game would probably not be detrimental to gameplay.

Hmmm I know the difference.

I was merely saying how using more common ammo in game would probably not be detrimental to gameplay.

Well, i think it could have a tremendous impact because of how vastly different each of the 3 cartridges behave. One is for Medium-Long Range (54R), one is medium range battle rifle round (.308), and one is short to mid range engagements (39). If you made all guns in the game that shoot a 7.62 round fire 7.62x39, it would behave completely different due to power and effective range. All in all, they shouldn't cut corners if they are aiming to be realistic, because anyone handling a rifle in a real life SHTF situation would probably know not to try and put .308 rounds in a AK.

Looks like it comes with a bayonet 

It has a folding bayonet. It's supposed to come already attached.

amoircj.jpg?1

However in-game it's an attachment, which I suppose you'll have to find.

It also looks like they've made a fictional bayonet instead of using the real one.

The blade appears the same, but it seems to have a knife-like handle and I expect it won't fold.

When i first read about the SKS i thought "Why are they adding something like a DMR again? It is such a lame and unfitting noob weapon". I have to know,which ammo does it use in RL and does it use a magazine?

The mag is internal and is typically fed with a clip. However aftermarket parts are extremely common for the SKS to accept magazines. Most hardcore SKS fanatics dislike these types of mods and responses like "tapco/10, would not operate" are so common that it's almost a running joke. One would think that with the current weapon modding system that it could run off both a clip and a mag.

Reading comprehension compadre. WE are not saying it's the same, I'm pretty sure the devs ALSO know it's not the same, but right now it is PROGRAMMED to be the same, so we can't help it. To be honest, I think they should give it its proper ammo type. It doesn't make sense. Imagine how OP the AK-47 would be, and how weird it would be to balance 7.62 ammo to be not overly common for the bolt actions because you have to make them common enough so the SKS and AK can use them. Nah, I doubt this is not a placeholder.

Reading comprehension compadre. WE are not saying it's the same, I'm pretty sure the devs ALSO know it's not the same, but right now it is PROGRAMMED to be the same, so we can't help it.

Indeed. The base files for the rifle are in game however the weapon is not. As mentioned it would make perfect sense if someone copy and pasted the nugget info over so that everything will be ready to have proper values in it once they reach the stage of adding the rifle itself. As we all know this rifle isn't something as simple as the current ingame M4A1. A gunsmith can easily take this classic rifle and start bolting on tacticool parts that are mass produced for this 70 year old rifle.

sks.jpg

Same gun, completely different feel. Something tells me that the simple placeholder ingame scripts/code for this weapon are there specifically because this rifle just may be a bit more complex then the other weapons ingame. Unless of course we're talking about the Ruger 10/22 which is probably going to be in the same boat.

1022.jpg

Same exact gun, completely different feel. This one in particular is like a 20 minute job that requires minimal tools.

SKS is a cheap and lousy rifle that is chambered in the same cartridge as the ak-47. 

It is not a 'marksman's rifle.'

And a "DMR" in Arma2 *is* an m14. 

• Like 3

It would be cool if they added different qualities of ammunition. 

Match-grade, handloaded, or other premium ammo being required to get good accuracy out of weapons at long range. 

SKS is a cheap and lousy rifle that is chambered in the same cartridge as the ak-47. 

It is not a 'marksman's rifle.'

Any rifle that you can buy for $75 isn't gonna be much of a performer in the accuracy department

"The M4's main issue is that it's inaccurate without bipod, and has no high-powered scope. This gun will resolve this, plus the bullet will most likely have a shorter travel time. I'm in love!"

This is very optimistic... the bullet should have a longer travel time at any distance and the SKS and variants aren't known for their accuracy. "Zeroing" would also be laughably bad, I posted on here a couple times that the AKM in ArmA 2 said it zeroed to 800 meters, but the bullet actually went just under 1,100... put a long range scope on an SKS and the zeroing system would simply break down in the same manner (the same problem was present in ArmA 3).

This is assuming they change the ammunition and aren't planning for all weapons with a 7.62mm bore to use the same cartridges.

Any rifle that you can buy for $75 isn't gonna be much of a performer in the accuracy department

"The M4's main issue is that it's inaccurate without bipod, and has no high-powered scope. This gun will resolve this, plus the bullet will most likely have a shorter travel time. I'm in love!"

This is very optimistic... the bullet should have a longer travel time at any distance and the SKS and variants aren't known for their accuracy. "Zeroing" would also be laughably bad, I posted on here a couple times that the AKM in ArmA 2 said it zeroed to 800 meters, but the bullet actually went just under 1,100... put a long range scope on an SKS and the zeroing system would simply break down in the same manner (the same problem was present in ArmA 3).

This is assuming they change the ammunition and aren't planning for all weapons with a 7.62mm bore to use the same cartridges.

It should, in accordance to RL. Though seeing as how accurate the m4 can become with the right upgrades despite having a messed up base accuracy that's most likely gonna be fixed, that the SKS will probably have more damage per bullet, support for a high-powered scope, this will be enough of a substitute DMR for me until they introduce a real semi-auto battle-rifle type weapon.

The unrealistic bullet velocity from the previous titles might get carried over (keyword: might). Even if it doesn't, It'll be good enough for me.

I'm probably a tad overexcited right now, but yeah...  :D

A zeroed AK-47 or SKS will put a bullet in a man-sized target at 300 metres if you aim for centre of mass unless the barrel is utterly trashed.

Just as it was designed to.

Yeah, what is this, Fallout 3? Where all guns use '5.56mm Rounds'?

Yeah, what is this, Fallout 3? Where all guns use '5.56mm Rounds'?

I know some of the values for the SKS are certainly placeholders, so perhaps magazines and ammunition will turn out to be as well.

That being said, it is kinda concerning that it's labeled as "7.62mm rounds" and the description reads "high powered cartridge used in various firearms of Soviet origin". With the generic name and the generic description, it's logical to be prepared for generic types of ammunition.

If they do introduce 7.62x39, I hope they don't just copy-paste the stats from ARMA 2. They weren't great in that game either. Speaking of stats, I was looking at ACE the other day for my accuracy thread, and I noticed the ACE team came up with effectively the same value as I did for the 7.62x39 ballistics - the two only differed by 0.00004.

I hope they change the chambering of the SKS so it doesn't use the Mosin's rounds. If/when they add a SVD that will take 7.62x54, but then that would make the SKS kinda obsolete

Diversification.

Update on different cartridges. From Reddit. Someone found this:

ylJzqMj.jpg?1

I wonder what weapons these will be for.

I wonder if it's a typo, meant to say "7.62x54R".

ylJzqMj.jpg?1

I saw that a little bit ago too. What gun that they'll probably be adding takes 7.62x51? The M14? It'd definitely be cool if there was another gun that they didn't announce that's just waiting to be found, but I'd bet it's probably a typo.

ylJzqMj.jpg?1

Maybe for M14 or G3. ...

LOL at the comments here. First off:
- The 5.56 is the most devastating round up to 300 meters compared to the other rounds

- Past that would be the .308

- The 7.62x54R is for a wee bit longer range

- The various AK rounds have a bit longer punching power but the 5.56 shatters M196 anyway at 2500 to 3000fps, this means an open cavitation inside your body mass, unlike other rounds that punches through. The FPS depends on the barrel length of the 5.56.

Your SKS is a semi version of the AK with its inherent flaws of less than stellar accuracy due to the big ass gas chamber attached to the barrel.

DMRs in the market:

- HK G3 (.308)

- M14 (.308)

- Philippine Marine Corps M.S.S.R. (5.56)
- Dragunov
- HK417

Basically, an avvurized rifle that is intended to be used by a marksman for shor to medium range of engagement.

The M4 should be realistically be the best all around rifle in the game, due to its versatility. From the differnt rounds avaialble that can match the .308 in distance and penetration.

LOL at the comments here. First off:

- The 5.56 is the most devastating round up to 300 meters compared to the other rounds

If you dump the FMJ and give all of them quality hunting bullets the list goes .223 < 7.62x39 < 7.62x54R.

Ugh. Long range scope on an SKS. It's mounted on the bolt carrier. Now I have a headache.

LlQ95Xp.jpg?1

U2jKwdw.jpg?1

• Like 2