Sign in to follow this  
EchelonEffect

The RV engine is the worst engine ever made.

But some are just spouting off that the engine is garbage, the engine is the worst engine ever, we should be using CryEngine etc etc.  That's all bullshit.  Report the bugs, report the flaws, but don't create false arguments about stuff you don't have the slightest bit of knowledge on.

They aren't wrong. Every arma game uses the engine and they all perform poorly, coincidence?

If DayZ SA was a new game fresh on the market with a brand new engine no one would say this. But BIS has a very bad track record with optimization, occlusion culling not even being in after so many years is sad enough.

The problem is people aren't pointing out flaws, they're introducing strawman arguments.

Unless you're an expert programmer with a copy of the engine sourcecode, how on earth would you know the engine is the problem?  You simply need to report "I have FPS drop *insert location*".

But some are just spouting off that the engine is garbage, the engine is the worst engine ever, we should be using CryEngine etc etc.  That's all bullshit.  Report the bugs, report the flaws, but don't create false arguments about stuff you don't have the slightest bit of knowledge on.

It is simple to have a solution if you don't actually need to have one.

Nevertheless we should be able to agree on that there's dire need of optimization...and not hardware side.

Well look at it this way I do get the frames I said it doesn't matter what YOU get it matters what I get I have had friends with the exact same setup as me and get the worst frames ever who knows I also don't run my games on high res I run on 1280x1024 which is suitable to me ( so don't bash me for low res) So we could go back and forth all day it wouldnt make a difference I play the way I do and get what I do you play the way you do and get what you do simple as that no amount of telling me that I dont get something makes it true. I never understood why it matters how another runs anyways. So that's the end of that lets get back on topic.

1280x1024 yeah that will be why your getting a better fps, i guess you have a low draw distance too. I ain't bashing at all man play the settings that work for you i guess  :). Would have saved confusion if you would have stated that in the 1st place though. Also it is important to me to see what others with similar systems to me get because if it is way more and legit i'm doing something wrong and need to fix it

They aren't wrong. Every arma game uses the engine and they all perform poorly, coincidence?

If DayZ SA was a new game fresh on the market with a brand new engine no one would say this. But BIS has a very bad track record with optimization, occlusion culling not even being in after so many years is sad enough.

There's two problems with this argument though.

1.  BI rebuilt the engine from the ground up (Rocket's own words) specifically to suit the SA.  So it's technically not the same engine.

2.  There are players like me that aren't having any performance issues whatsoever. 

All of the performance is probably related to rendering.  Once they repair the rendering aspect, everything will get better for all players.

Example:  Look at Dark Souls.  The game runs damn good across multiple machines in all areas......except one.  Blighttown. No matter what machine/console you're running or how powerful it is, you will be guaranteed to have framerate issues in Blighttown.  Simply because of what the area is trying to render.  (They never bothered to fix that, by the way.  Still a great game though.)

It is simple to have a solution if you don't actually need to have one.

Nevertheless we should be able to agree on that there's dire need of optimization...and not hardware side.

Definitely needs optimization.  Rocket has even said this himself.  No argument there.

1280x1024 yeah that will be why your getting a better fps, i guess you have a low draw distance too. I ain't bashing at all man play the settings that work for you i guess  :). Would have saved confusion if you would have stated that in the 1st place though. Also it is important to me to see what others with similar systems to me get because if it is way more and legit i'm doing something wrong and need to fix it

I just kept standard draw distance never thought about changing it. But thanks for being civil about it.

Always enjoyed lower res just lets me run newer games on iffy hardware also waiting on my new monitor setup for 4k

when i get that i can see myself dropping the settings or it will be bad.

Edited by Kruger287

There's two problems with this argument though.

1.  BI rebuilt the engine from the ground up (Rocket's own words) specifically to suit the SA.  So it's technically not the same engine.

2.  There are players like me that aren't having any performance issues whatsoever. 

I find the first one unlikely. Sure it may have been rebuilt by re using their existing code to be more Rocket friendly, but that doesn't mean it was rewritten.

You are having performance issues, you just still consider it playable. Your rig should be able to max it and hold 60fps everywhere

Edited by Frell

Here's a visual example:

vy021v.jpg

Red = Size of which both Frostbite engines (as well as many other good graphic engines) can render.

Green = Size of which the Dayz Standalone can render.

You know nothing jon snow.

Frostbite can render just as much as dayz engine.

Hello there

I think what gets folk's backs up is sweeping statements like OP's title.

It's almost deliberately trolllike or ill conceived so everyone starts off being "spikey" about the subject.

Rgds

LoK

But BIS has a very bad track record with optimization,

This is what makes the "its alpha!" argument pointless in this thread. I'm not bitching about how the game performs right now but I would love to see some transparency from B.I in regards to what they are/will be doing to better optimize the game. However I doubt they would tell us much because not keeping a promise is a lot worse than keeping your mouth shut from the start.

You know nothing jon snow.

Frostbite can render just as much as dayz engine.

This

I'm tired of people thinking distance in human measurements means anything ingame. Distance is arbitrary

I find the first one unlikely. Sure it may have been rebuilt by re using their existing code to be more Rocket friendly, but that doesn't mean it was rewritten.

You are having performance issues, you just still consider it playable. Your rig should be able to max it and hold 60fps everywhere

That's an awful lot of assumption.

That's an awful lot of assumption.

First or second statement?

Assuming the first. Why would they spend the time to rewrite the engine for DayZ and not take the chance to improve the engine for Arma 3 while they're at it?

First or second statement?

Assuming the first. Why would they spend the time to rewrite the engine for DayZ and not take the chance to improve the engine for Arma 3 while they're at it?

Both.

We only have what we've been told to go off of.  Rocket said they were taking the time to re-write the engine from the ground up.  So as far as we know, that's what they've done.

Unless you happen to have both sets of sourcecode handy so we can compare?

Both.

We only have what we've been told to go off of.  Rocket said they were taking the time to re-write the engine from the ground up.  So as far as we know, that's what they've done.

Unless you happen to have both sets of sourcecode handy so we can compare?

I thought the engine is derived from Take On Helicopters. Where are you getting re-written from the ground up from? 

IIRC, nor zombies, nor zeds (do not even need to mention an apocalypse), isn't Dayz devs' property. Then  what kind of "property" these big studios need, to make games, which would beat DayZ to death? Dean's head? If not, then where is their such large scale games?

In this thread people who don't understand how an engine works or probably what it even is discuss why an engine they know literaly nothing about is worse than other engines they know even less about.

This oh my god this. Obvious troll thread is obvious.

Makes no sense to talk about a Take on Helicopters version anymore.

Rocket used that description in August 2012 and a lot(a lot) has happened since then. One of the things that happened since then, was that the idea of creating a quick release December 2012 was abandoned and they decided to rebuild the DayZ engine's foundation. ArmA 3's engine isn't a MMO engine, Take on Helicopter's engine isn't a MMO engine. They have many similarities, but ArmA 3 went one way and DayZ another. This doesn't mean that the same developers aren't working on both engines, but it means that these engines are designed to fulfill different purposes.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

I thought the engine is derived from Take On Helicopters. Where are you getting re-written from the ground up from? 

From Rocket.

I suppose I should start with the question everyone wants to know… where is DayZ Standalone? Obviously, it’s not here. At Eurogamer I said that DayZ had to be out before the end of the year and that’s come and gone. I still stand by that comment, to achieve what we had originally wanted, we did have to be out by the end of the year - and we’ve failed to achieve that.

Put simply, DayZ Standalone isn’t here because we had the chance to go from making a game that was just the mod improved slightly, packaged simply, and sold - to actually redeveloping the engine and making the game the way we all dreamed it could be. This blew any initial plans we had dictated to pieces.

I really don't understand why you decided to use it for the SA, rocket. So many of us told you not to. There are issues with the game that will literally never, ever be fixed because of the engine (the occlusion, for instance). The rendering methodology is completely broken. Just look at the longstanding issues with ARMA I and II if you don't believe me.

So why'd you do it? Laziness? Quick cash grab?

I completely disagree with you, you sir are uninformed.

What rocket ha don't is anything but lazy, they spent a whole year making their own engine, basically turning an fps engine into an mmo one, as for the issues you are seeing in the standalone this is partly because the game is quite stripped down, they have launched the alpha so they can identify these problems, not to provide a complete game much like the disclaimer states, this is also the reason why atm you do not see any vehicles and only 4 weapons. If you look into various statements made by them they clearly say why they did not use arma 2 or even arma 3 as a base engine, they explain the various benefits why they created their own. The alpha test which clearly containts the disclaimer that you should not expect a full game, and should expect plenty of bugs, is established to test the engines capability, stability and bug hunting that developers wouldn't find or look for. This is essentially a stress test. If i could give you negative beans i would, i would go bandit and steal them all, because you are so quick to jump to a conclusion.

• Like 3

Why do people assume alpha means the developers can suddenly read minds?

Its important for the community to bring up flaws instead of assuming they're already acknowledged

Rocket DID acknowledge occlusion culling and alpha means that it's not a finished product, which implies there will be future improvements. Nice try though. I know my definitions, thanks.

Edited by SalamanderAnder
  • Like 1

Another quote from Rocket mentioning the Engine alteration...

One of our Lead Artists, Mario Kurty, has been working with some of the ArmA3 artists to ensure that DayZ Standalone has the best visuals possible. The result is pretty striking when combined with some of the other improvements we have made in the engine. These improvements make the world really come to life, improving the visuals overall. A comparison screenshot is included and demonstrates the effect of this.

One more, and then no more Bakerspam.

Our lead programmer has been continuing the revision of the entire engine multiplayer to operate under the server-client MMO model. The results have been outstanding, and it is going to radically change the product. As these changes are made we are filter them onto the approach taken at other levels, ensuring everything is moved from being done at a client level to being done at a server level.

Rocket DID acknowledge occlusion culling and alpha means that it's not a finished product, which implies there will be future improvements. Nice try though. I know my definitions, thanks.

Why wasn't this in the engine already is my question

At least 636,456 copies sold as of writing this. Perhaps this will speed up some parts of the development and maybe things like replacing the rendering engine will be pushed forward.