Sign in to follow this  
EchelonEffect

The RV engine is the worst engine ever made.

I really don't understand why you decided to use it for the SA, rocket. So many of us told you not to. There are issues with the game that will literally never, ever be fixed because of the engine (the occlusion, for instance). The rendering methodology is completely broken. Just look at the longstanding issues with ARMA I and II if you don't believe me.

So why'd you do it? Laziness? Quick cash grab?

• Like 2

Maybe because it was the engine best suited for the job...

I'm pretty sure that making a new engine is both expensive and very time consuming.

• Like 10

Maybe because it was the engine best suited for the job...

I'm pretty sure that making a new engine is both expensive and very time consuming.

So he should have sold his intellectual property to a developer that actually knows what they are doing. 

• Like 1

While the engine is not perfect, I can't think of a better engine. Which engine would you have preferred that can give you a realistic looking 220km²+ map that is nice for the survival aspect?

• Like 15

Is DayZ based on RV 3, RV 4 or will it be a special modded Engine?

Edited by Khad

Is DayZ based on RV 3, RV 4 or will it be a special modded Engine?

RV4. And as far as I know, rocket has the right to rewrite any part of the engine he sees fit. Problem is he has no idea what he's doing. 

Probably because this was the only engine at hand for the job. 

Probably because Bohemia Interactive was the only one, who offered full creative control. While other big industry players were willing to throw high paying job offers after Rocket, none of them were willing to take the risks, that made this game a different experience. Everyone wanted to buy the hype that came with Rocket's name, but without Bohemia Interactive and RV, you'd never have gotten the Standalone. If Rocket had been hired by Infinity Ward, they would have made him do voice overs for CoD, telling us all about Modern Warfare's amazing cutting edge fish AI in his cute NZ accent. 

• Like 14

So you are giving us a rendering issue as an example why this is the "worst engine ever made" and say it could never be fixed? Do you have any other, maybe better suited, arguments? Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to code a game engine with this many features from the ground up? I personally havn't come accross any gamebreaking issues with ambient-occlusion and occlusion-culling. (not sure which specific one you mean)

Edit: This seems very much like a troll-topic.

Edited by namco-4
  • Like 12

RV4. And as far as I know, rocket has the right to rewrite any part of the engine he sees fit. Problem is he has no idea what he's doing. 

While I agree Rocket is a game developer and not an engine tech developer that doesn't mean he can't hire people to rewrite it.

Arma was never a hugely popular game, I HOPE all this money coming in from SA is able to fix the garbage engine once and for all. So SA isn't slow and clunky and future arma titles aren't slow and clunky

Edited by Frell

I'm mixed on this as i can see why they choose it as it does excel for many things dayz has sure it's not the prettiest engine but it does get the job done where as them changing and learning a new engine would of been more costly and time consuming plus the fact that the gun physics are already pretty much done for them is a big plus meaning they can easily add new weapons without much hastle compared to other engines which are more gameplay focused over simulation focused... Again i'm mixed on this a new engine would of been cool but the plus is we are getting the game a lot sooner and will have updates more frequently on this current engine.

In this thread people who don't understand how an engine works or probably what it even is discuss why an engine they know literaly nothing about is worse than other engines they know even less about.

• Like 12

I'm mixed on this as i can see why they choose it as it does excel for many things dayz has sure it's not the prettiest engine but it does get the job done where as them changing and learning a new engine would of been more costly and time consuming plus the fact that the gun physics are already pretty much done for them is a big plus meaning they can easily add new weapons without much hastle compared to other engines which are more gameplay focused over simulation focused... Again i'm mixed on this a new engine would of been cool but the plus is we are getting the game a lot sooner and will have updates more frequently on this current engine.

Remember, Garry Newmans main reason for creating Rust was because he wanted to make a version of DayZ that didn't feel so clunky. He was very smart to undercut Rocket like this because the RV engine will take a long time to ever be smoothed out (if it even will)

In this thread people who don't understand how an engine works or probably what it even is discuss why an engine they know literaly nothing about is worse than other engines they know even less about.

We know one thing:

The game isn't pretty enough to warrant the resources it uses. Not to mention the engine doesn't use the GPU like it should, it still offloads too much on the CPU which is retarded becauses GPU's were built for this.

That's a horrible sign. People with good rigs who aren't used to Arma titles that bought the SA would probably consider 32 fps on lowest "unplayable" with a GTX 6***-7***

Edited by Frell
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

I bet you're one of those people who goes around posting "its alpher" in threads?

• Like 4

I am personally not a fan of the ARMA enginge, nor am I an ARMA player to begin with. BUT Rocket is a modder that has experience with the arma engine and got hired by the company that made that engine...so what the hell do you expect?

• Like 6

So you are giving us a rendering issue as an example why this is the "worst engine ever made" and say it could never be fixed? Do you have any other, maybe better suited, arguments? Also, do you have any idea how long it takes to code a game engine with this many features from the ground up? I personally havn't come accross any gamebreaking issues with ambient-occlusion and occlusion-culling. (not sure which specific one you mean)

Edit: This seems very much like a troll-topic.

It is a troll topic.  The OP is most likely not a programmer.  The OP also most likely has not seen any form of sourcecode from the engine itself to be able to dissect it in such a way.

Plus if he were a programmer, he'd know that it might not necessarily be the engine at fault, but the instruction set that is being fed into the engine.

I was also pretty sure that Rocket said the engine was being rebuilt from the ground up to suit the standalone, which would make the OP wrong anyway.

• Like 7

I bet DayZ would of been awesome on the cryengine though the map properly wouldn't be as big but yea the hardcore sim like realism of the RV engine outways most I do like it but its verry clunkly and needs a major overhaul, I was appalled at Arma 3 having the same inherent issues as Arma 2 not utilizing all of the CPU or GPU or utilizing SLI properly and then having the same problems in dayZ? its a joke tbh how old is arma2? they should have work on optimisation as a major priority or I don't see BI surviving tbh least rocket is a better lead dev then most

Remember, Garry Newmans main reason for creating Rust was because he wanted to make a version of DayZ that didn't feel so clunky. He was very smart to undercut Rocket like this because the RV engine will take a long time to ever be smoothed out (if it even will)

We know one thing:

The game isn't pretty enough to warrant the resources it uses. Not to mention the engine doesn't use the GPU like it should, it still offloads too much on the CPU which is retarded becauses GPU's were built for this.

That's a horrible sign. People with good rigs who aren't used to Arma titles that bought the SA would probably consider 32 fps on lowest "unplayable" with a GTX 6***-7***

Rust looks awful...

Standing on a hill overlooking a field or city in DayZ SA looks amazing and it's not even close to being optimized yet.

As for other games bringing the scale that the RV engine does? Nope. Not without loading times and instances. Not with 50-100 players.

• Like 3

Plus if he were a programmer, he'd know that it might not necessarily be the engine at fault, but the instruction set that is being fed into the engine.

You don't think its a coincidence every Arma game released has had poor performance? And then SA comes along and surprise surprise poor performance?

Rust looks awful...

Maps for alpha only

Edited by Frell

I'm really sick and tired of this. "Oh, Rocket you have Frostbite 1 and 2 to use, as well as many other engines that have orgasmic graphics. Y u no use them?!?!?!"

Maybe because:

1. They were never designed for a game like Dayz.

2. They are only capable of rendering maps 5km2 in size.

3. You need a god-awfulgood PC to run it.

My point is, stop bitching and just be glad Rocket actually gave you a game rather than abandoning the damn thing.

• Like 3

Here's a visual example:

vy021v.jpg

Red = Size of which both Frostbite engines (as well as many other good graphic engines) can render.

Green = Size of which the Dayz Standalone can render.

Edited by Shadow134
  • Like 9