The_Man

Craft: Makeshift silencers (Poll)

Makeshift Silencers  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to craft short-use silencers?

I decided to make this thread as I noticed a trend of players who like to remain covert while entering large cities/towns. These players wish to avoid PvP but still want a little firepower to avoid confrontations with zombies. My solution? Short use silencers made out of random items such as Flashlights or Water bottles. 

The silencers would be good for a finite amount of uses until one would need to repair or trash them completely. Perhaps they would only work on lower caliber weapons such as a handgun or the upcoming Ruger 10/22. 

Silencer qualities as suggested by the community

• Silencers should have a limited lifetime such as being only good for a finite amount of shots fired. One community members suggested them as being one shot use only. 
  • One member suggested making a silencer out of an empty bean can. See crafting recipe ideas for a more visual concept. 
  • Silencers should not be as effective as the higher quality ones intended for rifles such as the M4 
  • Different grades of quality that would alter depending on the quality and type of crafting supplies you use. See crafting recipe ideas for a more visual concept. 
  • Silencers may alter accuracy and energy of the bullets being fired. 

Potential crafting recipe ideas

Low Quality Silencer 

Waterbottle.pngDuct_Tape.png300px-Bandage.png

Medium quality silencer 

100px-Item_Tincan.png +Duct_Tape.png+300px-Bandage.png

Higher quality silencer

100px-Item_Flashlight.png + Duct_Tape.png+300px-Bandage.png

These silencers would be constructed using tools such as a screwdriver (to punch holes into the silencer). For the flashlight perhaps it might require a stronger or sharper object such as a knife or bayonet. 

These are just temporary ideas and can be adjusted. I would like some input from the community so we can polish the idea more! 

Here are some inspirational photos. 

The-Walking-Dead-Zombies-Maglite-Flashli

DIY%20silencer%20suppressor%20maglite%20

mark%20wahlberg%20shooter%20bottle%20sil

Cat-Suppressor-From-Movie-Postal.jpg

Edited by The_Man
  • Like 6

I do like the idea, mainly for the extra survival aspect it would add. "I've got barely any equipment and I want to leave Cherno as quietly as possible...but still alive" Thats where your empty bean cans come in! (only more sensible xD)

• Like 1

I don't want silencers to be as good as mod ones though.

Perhaps different grades of sliencers, or use the inbuilt quality system for a louder or quieter result

• Like 1

Hell, you can use a plastic bottle and duct tape to make a one shot silencer.  So why not?

It's realistic, and would be great for the occasional silent execution so you don't attract attention.

• Like 1

I agree you should be able to make your own silencers out of flashlights, bottles, etc. with the obvious restrictions of making your gun slightly less accurate and/or powerful. and all silencers need to get worn down and less silent the more you use it... not like the mod silenced weapons which did not degrade.

• Like 1

I like all your ideas so far. 

First, the current silencers should work. That is priority over this idea for sure. 

Second, yes, these silencers shouldn't be too effective. They should just be good enough to prevent zombies within 10-20 meters from hearing your shot. The prime purpose of these silencers should be to prevent hordes from occurring during a looting raid. If a player shows up...well perhaps they could be detrimental. There should be balance here so they are not too over powered. A lifetime to the silencers is a good idea too. Crafting should have to occur regularly like eating food. That is why we loot! 

I will add all your ideas to the original post shortly. 

It's already in the game assets as "Improvised Silencer."

Cool! I hope this thread could provide some community input as to what the "improvised silencer" should be in the game. 

This has been suggested a million times.

I searched on these forum and have not seen the post. I am making this on these specific forum to provide the current community to have a current thread that might be of aid to the developers. 

Edited by The_Man
  • Like 1

Yeah but they wont sound like "chip" when you fire.

No suppressors should.

No suppressors should.

Don't they have full bodied silencers that produce that chip sound? I forgot what they call them but I have seen them on that show Sons of Guns. Of course putting something on the muzzle won't drastically reduce the sound but it will reduce it by a little! 

• Like 1

Don't they have full bodied silencers that produce that chip sound? I forgot what they call them but I have seen them on that show Sons of Guns. Of course putting something on the muzzle won't drastically reduce the sound but it will reduce it by a little!

If you ask me that would have to be a bug suppressor, but I'm no gun expert.

I pretty sure not many silencers would make a chip sound.

It would have to be a built in sound suppressor like the one on the VSS.

It should take off some sound though, muffle it to make the gunshot less recognisable.

I don't wanna see a plastic bottle making a gun shot sound like someone hitting a brick wall with a pillow.

But the 0.1m audible range of suppressed guns in the mod is ridiculous a good 50m atleast.

• Like 1

If you ask me that would have to be a bug suppressor, but I'm no gun expert.

I pretty sure not many silencers would make a chip sound.

It would have to be a built in sound suppressor like the one on the VSS.

It should take off some sound though, muffle it to make the gunshot less recognisable.

I don't wanna see a plastic bottle making a gun shot sound like someone hitting a brick wall with a pillow.

But the 0.1m audible range of suppressed guns in the mod is ridiculous a good 50m atleast.

I agree. I would like to see the suppressors to be used to prevent near by zombies from hearing you rather than making you covert from players. Don't want to see any hollywood silencers that sound like a baby's fart. 

• Like 1

omg member the sound that damn cat would make & the throwing syringes,  might have to reinstall that ! dont forget baiting the cops with .... rr . yeah damn good idea , got my vote .

maybe just so you cant make them out of just anything have to find one intrical part , like a hose clamp to secure it to the barrel before you can use it ????? jsut a thought 

im guessing youve already seen the big hubub about the 'adaptor' thats had the fed's in a shit frenzy & decided to not encourage it . good man !