Mdogg2005

Played for an hour or so today and...

I met several players.  One player eagerly looted with me and acted friendly towards me until he found a wrench and bashed my brains in once I said he could have it and I'll just get the next melee weapon..  Another followed me around as I looted today and I waved at him asking him if he wanted to work together and head north.  After flipping me off he crouched towards me and killed me with a crowbar.  The one person I did decide to defend myself against was attacking me with a bat of some sorts.  He (what a surprise) came at me without saying a word and just started meleeing me after I said "Hi" over comms and waved in-game. 

He combat logged because I knocked him down via punching his face.  What a skilled player.

The final gentleman I crossed was while I was looting that airport by the beach (the name slips me, I'm new) and he just straight up came after me and killed me I literally had nothing since I even dropped my flashlight.  I asked him why I was killed and if I posed a threat to him.  He said "no lol im a bandit."  So this professional bandit killed me to verify his banditry.. I guess?  He can play how he wants I suppose, but I guess I just don't consider someone crowbaring / wrenching helpless fresh spawns to be a "bandit."  Bandit usually implies robbing, holding up, taking captive, etc.

I had a great time playing the game yesterday (probably because I didn't encounter any of the skilled players I mentioned above), so I definitely don't hate the game nor will I stop playing it.  I just figured I'd share my experience with you guys.

First post, woo!

• Like 15

I think a lot of it is kids seeing the streams and youtubes and never played the mod because it was too complicated / didn't have the money / whatever and they really just have no idea about the game or anything other than theres loot zombies and you kill people i have a feeling as content gets added and the casuals get bored a lot of this random noob killings will die down.

• Like 2

Welcome in Chernarus fellow survivor ^_^

Trust no one, especially when the guy clame to be friendly.

After some time as a lone wolf, you will see that some mates are good journey companion, but it's rare ;)

• Like 2

Rule #1: Never trust anyone with a gun. If you have a gun and or see a guy with a gun kill on sight, because no matter what they will kill you on sight, or they eventually will. 

Rule #1: Never trust anyone with a gun. If you have a gun and or see a guy with a gun kill on sight, because no matter what they will kill you on sight, or they eventually will. 

No..

Let me modify that:

Rule #1: Trust no one.

Rule #2: If you get the drop on someone, gain control of the situation and do not hesitate to shoot if they do not comply with your demands.

Rule #3: If both parties notice one another at the same time, or if you are unable to get in a dominant position: Shoot when you make contact. Do not risk your life.

Rule #4: If someone gets the drop on you, they have control over the situation.. Comply to them to the extent your personality allows you to.

Rule #5: Friends are more valuable than loot, in DayZ. A Team of cooperative players can get a lot more done than a lone wolf.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

I met a lot of guys some of them killed me for no reason some of them helped me, one time I encounter two guys and I join them we were searching together for 3 hours and we go through alot and it was hella fun...

• Like 2

Yeah I get that, and yesterday when I actually had loot I was much more cautious and did everything by the books (in the end, disease is what took me).  What I don't understand though is that I waved at every one of these people.  I said "hi" over voice, and they just sort of kill me with no rhyme or reason.  Every time I was killed tonight I had nothing on me as I didn't even stay alive long enough to get anything useful.  If I actually had loot I know better than to wave and expose myself to others, but I figured "what the hell, I have nothing anyway, might as well just say hello." 

I also find it funny that someone going around crow-baring people who can't defend themselves to death calls themself a bandit.  As mentioned, I find that a bandit is someone who will steal your supplies and leave you helpless and bound, rather than just straight up coming after you crouched with a baseball bat :)

I appreciate the tips too.  I'll remember them for when [if] I ever get my hands on a gun again.  And thanks for the welcome and the beans everyone!  Glad to be here!

I think a little of it would die down if they put in game names back on the players like in the mod.  Without knowing who people are, there's no fear of repercussions.

I met a lot of guys some of them killed me for no reason some of them helped me, one time I encounter two guys and I join them we were searching together for 3 hours and we go through alot and it was hella fun...

Yeah that's what I live for in games like this.  Player interaction.  I find no fun or pleasure in killing people on sight or running after another fresh spawn just to kill them for their flashlight.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like 1

I think a lot of it is kids seeing the streams and youtubes and never played the mod because it was too complicated / didn't have the money / whatever and they really just have no idea about the game or anything other than theres loot zombies and you kill people i have a feeling as content gets added and the casuals get bored a lot of this random noob killings will die down.

you are dead wrong! you could say this about dayz mod ! but not about this alfa. There is nothing to do for players like me who play like 12h a day this game :) you get bored and start hunting every people you see :) No roleplaying for now, because you cant do a shit with them except feeding rotten food and stealing their items. So KOS for now. 

I think a little of it would die down if they put in game names back on the players like in the mod.  Without knowing who people are, there's no fear of repercussions.

I never played the mod but I must say that anonymity is great encouragement to be a random asshole since nothing bad will likely come of it.  And I fully support being able to see who's who - especially since Steam names aren't limited to just DayZ.

Edit: My friend is playing now and I just saw him attempt to interact with a player.  A guy rushed him with a melee weapon and my friend drew his gun before the gentleman could get in melee range.  He starts to sprint away.  My friend tells him to halt or he'll fire if he doesn't stop running.  The gentleman logs out.  Seems logical.  Run at someone with the intention to kill them, then log out when you're in any mild danger.  What people don't realize is that the more that KOS and combat logging happens to others, the more people will do it (because they'll get frustrated with it happening to them). 

I realize they are issues that will be addressed and resolved in the future, but let's just think for a moment if everyone just shot at everyone without a thought or word or reason to.  And if everyone just logged out at any sense of mild danger or threat.  How fun would the game be?  (rhetorical question obviously, the game would be pointless - you see where I'm going with this).

Anyway, I'll keep it short winded since this wasn't a KOS or combat logging thread, I just wanted to share my experiences with the first players I've ever interacted with in the game.

Thanks again for reading and giving me the beans!

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 1

There's also a lot of power crazed children out there in a virtual world with a gun. Similar sort of effect to mixing weed killer with sugar I'm afraid. Sadly this is the part where games with guns have largely become a victim of themselves.

Power is nothing without control

It's also that a lot of kids (and people in general) don't have the charisma to communicate themselves or their desires to other players, so rather than try to talk things out and "role-play" the encounter, they just default back to "PEW PEW PEW".

• Like 1

Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Edited by Blackcurrent
  • Like 2

I never played the mod but I must say that anonymity is great encouragement to be a random asshole since nothing bad will likely come of it.  And I fully support being able to see who's who - especially since Steam names aren't limited to just DayZ.

Edit: My friend is playing now and I just saw him attempt to interact with a player.  A guy rushed him with a melee weapon and my friend drew his gun before the gentleman could get in melee range.  He starts to sprint away.  My friend tells him to halt or he'll fire if he doesn't stop running.  The gentleman logs out.  Seems logical.  Run at someone with the intention to kill them, then log out when you're in any mild danger.  What people don't realize is that the more that KOS and combat logging happens to others, the more people will do it (because they'll get frustrated with it happening to them). 

I realize they are issues that will be addressed and resolved in the future, but let's just think for a moment if everyone just shot at everyone without a thought or word or reason to.  And if everyone just logged out at any sense of mild danger or threat.  How fun would the game be?  (rhetorical question obviously, the game would be pointless - you see where I'm going with this).

Anyway, I'll keep it short winded since this wasn't a KOS or combat logging thread, I just wanted to share my experiences with the first players I've ever interacted with in the game.

Thanks again for reading and giving me the beans!

It's amazing how many tough guys wet their pants and log when the guns come out.  Some times I like to bait the melee KoS'ers.  With my m4 out, when they're approaching, I'll say something like "I'm friendly, I don't even have ammo so don't worry".  Then when they come at me, BANG, shot in the face.  It's not all bad though, I did that once to a guy who only had an axe and he offered me the m4 ammo he had found but didn't have a gun for.  Even though I had over 200 rounds, I took his offering and gave 'em a can opener in return.  Pretty fair trade I think.

hey man, sorry to hear that, I know that running with a group of people is always fun

If you are looking for a clan to join I am in an Awesome one that is recruiting called AOD

We have a ventrillio server, help out fellow clan mates as much as we can, and there is usually a group or two on at a time each with several people

Feel free to add me on Steam, ID is AOD_Samiam_Jr 

you can visit and even join AOD at ClanAOD.net

I know the group of people I play with always take care of spawns that are compliant.  We feed them, give them drinks, and "medical" treatment.

I ran with a guy from Cherno to kelmenka, he had an axe.

2 other guys turn up...

One with a wrench Knocks me out?

They strip me and walk off ( if you hit Escape button you can see what's going on around your corps)

Met a fresh spawn in balota gave him a mosin with a full amo creat of sealed pristine mosin boxes.. He calmly drops the amo creat gets out a fresh box of ammunition loads the mosin (it jams then finally loads) I'm sat in in the corner of the tent knowing full well what his intentions are (I had given up on the dayz humanity) he takes aim and shoots me in the head.

I'm an old vet I can gear up within a gun and amo in under 20mins.. I ALWAYS wave and say hi to anyone I meet geared or not.. Never killed anyone who did not deserve it (bandits camping).

So not true.

Let me share a funny short story.

One day playing DayZ SA, was looting the airfield for some more ammo for a gun I just found.

A random player runs up to me while I was looking at some loot. Starts trying to punch me in the face.

I wip out my hand gun, pointing it at him to see if he'd run. Just keeps trying to punch me.

Shot him dead and logs out as quickly as he could so I couldn't loot the body.

I have learned that people are stupid and would bring fists to a gun fight.

Also the fact that I had a helmet on didn't help him one bit.

Edited by MikeyTheFox

I ran with a guy from Cherno to kelmenka, he had an axe.

2 other guys turn up...

One with a wrench Knocks me out?

They strip me and walk off ( if you hit Escape button you can see what's going on around your corps)

Met a fresh spawn in balota gave him a mosin with a full amo creat of sealed pristine mosin boxes.. He calmly drops the amo creat gets out a fresh box of ammunition loads the mosin (it jams then finally loads) I'm sat in in the corner of the tent knowing full well what his intentions are (I had given up on the dayz humanity) he takes aim and shoots me in the head.

I just... wow.  I don't understand what compells someone to just straight up kill someone who was helpful to them. 

best bet is to focus on your own survival. first off, bandits don't just kill you for no reason. they cuff you, take your ammo, can opener, whatever they need to urgently survive. they let you keep your gun, packs, etc.

then they take your pants, and send you away.

murders just flat out kill you at the first given moment. these are kids watching twitch tv, see'ing their roll models do the same.

hit a town quickly for food, fill up your gut at a well, and make your way north a few miles. use those towns to gear up, keep proceding north. eventually, you stop seeing people, most kids are hanging out on the coast at the big 3, to grief and fight others like themselves.

once you come into a firearm of somekind, always keep it at the rest position if you feel you might run into someone. it only takes a quick rightclick, and it's ready to fire, just aim and pull.

next comes natural instinct. someone even comes into your range with a bat, axe, etc. thats in their hands, you keep your distance and use your voice to warn them to shoulder it or you will shoot.

then, you either shoot, or they listen or keep a good distance. don't bother grouping unless you have an actual buddy to play with. avoid people.

i suggest eventually, to make your way to bashyna. it's a very small base north of the northwest airfield. just stay outside the airfield on your way there. i've yet to encounter someone there. have 3 rooms to loot inside, and 2 outside, with military grade gear, even sidearm clips, backpacks, etc. only 2 or 3 zombies at max, and most importantly, a well. if you see the doors open, you quietly blend back into the woods and wait.

I just... wow.  I don't understand what compells someone to just straight up kill someone who was helpful to them. 

See I’m with you on this! It’s more interesting interacting on occasions rather than kill. It’s actually very skilful to control the situation enough to build up a bond with someone. Interesting to see how far you can take it, some will faithfully help you and play with you but other will just drop you.

Even if l group strip a player, let him leave with some water and food and make your game more interesting. I appreciate the mind set better safe than sorry but it gets a bit boring after a while.