Sign in to follow this  
Spidey (DayZ)

DayZ is FailZ (Lacklustre Infected comment)

Before you hate me, let me explain. I absolutely love the game, and the mod as well. Its the best survival mmo out there, although " massively multiplayer online" are kinda strong words for 50 players on one server, but whatever.

DayZ is FAR from what its meant to be. It has NOTHING to do with a zombie apocalypse, not even the zombies. (and im not talking about the fact that there is absolutely NO sign of zombie apocalypse in chernarus. Some blood and a few destroyed buildings doesnt mean by far that there has been a zombie apocalypse.)

If a zombie game is done good, the zombies should be feared and respected. They should be terrible, flesh ripping, cruel and gross creatures that just give you goosebumps everytime you see them.

In DayZ, zombies are.... dolls. They are nothing more than retarded weird bugged dolls. If you would want to make them as they should be - you would need to completely change the engine, at minimum. Arma is, always was and will be an army simulator, a SHOOTING simulator, and even though melee works to some degree, its awful, not smooth by far and visually it doesnt even look like melee. When you are fighting a zombie, you should be able to chop its damn head off, or see it ripping your flesh, charging and jumping at you while pushing you to the ground so you have to actually take him off you before you stand up and finish him (no, not in the bugged retarded way they do now in standalone).

Now Im not whining about anything. The game is really awesome and I love it. But imagine there would be no zombies, SA or the mod, doesnt matter. Would that do something beside removing a rather annoying aspect of the game? No, I dont think so. Zombies mean nothing. They do not jump at you out of the doors when you open them. They do not try to break the doors and they have no intelligence AT ALL. They just stay there, and run after you when they "detect" you. Thats it. These are the big, scary, cruel zombies of dayz. Retarded dolls running through walls that cant even punch you right. Wait, zombies and PUNCHING you? They should be eating your face off while another 50 would be ripping off every piece of flesh on your body.

what im trying to say is, DayZ is an awesome game because of its survival aspect. Zombies are, always were and always probably will be a huge fail. 

one last piece: I think that if zombies actually are meant to represent any danger, we would really need a LOT of them, like 500 in a big city, 100 in small, and they would have to be roaming arround the world in HUGE groups (500+). That way, the next scenario would ACTUALLY be possible: (which I think is one of the goals of DayZ as it is a zombie apoc. simulator)

-you are walking in the woods, you see a guy and are about to kill him as 90percent of players would do

-suddenly you see a massive horde of zombies surrounding you and your target

-now you would actually think "oh fuck the zombies are coming i need his help" because if not, they would just outnumber you, instead of "oh fuck the annoying zombies, gotta kill the player before they just annoyingly give away my position" 

I think that would also have a big impact on the KOS mentality.

I also think that is not gonna be possible with this engine. EVER.

Now let the flamers bury me.

Wow kid, you have almost as many brain cells as you do posts. They aren't even fucking zombies.

• Like 1

already said ... it's alpha its recommend to not buy the game until it works properly. So why do you call it fail? They do a great job and if i read it right they said it will take about a year to finish the alpha?! 

Lol I remember when people said this game is vaporware.

Now they're complaining about everything.

Welp, the kids shall never be satisfied.

Another post of an uneducated person who enters an alpha game without knowing the true meaning of alpha neither (as it seems) who has looked upon the future changelogs and implementations.
I can't stannnnnd those commentaries anymore.

I feel guilty as well as I skipped the main post and read the second to decide it was a waste of time reading it all. My experience with Dayz is only watching streams on twitch but I’ve watched enough hours of the guys streaming to realise yes there is a long way to go but it’s a very solid foundation that is able to be enjoyed.

It will only get better and better so its not a fail it’s a Win, Win and we all know it.

Hello there

Firstly, lets not get personal with the insults.

Yes, OP does need to do some research, but show him/her the error of their ways, dont mindlessly flame, please.

Infected/Zombies/grumpy neighbours/whatever do need work and will change.

Patience is key.

Rgds

LoK

Just throwing this out there in regards to the zombie respawn thing.

Rocket has said you should be able to clear out a town if you want, zombies won't respawn if there are still people nearby, so you can make a safe place, for a while anyway, people log off, or leave the town, zombies will start respawning, I assume loot will be the same, you won't see loot or zombies respawning near you.

As to how exactly it will work, my guess is there will be some kind of zombie population limit on the server, if it is at the limit, no more zombies will spawn(this is for server performance reasons), but at the same time, zombies likely won't despawn either, so you can end up with cool mechanics like roaming hordes of zombies.

But as mentioned, it's an alpha, and in fact its at the start of its "early access" life, this will all come later, alpha is meant to last from 6-12 months after all(from what Rocket suggested anyway), so we don't know when.

As for zombies being a focus, it's not a focus in DayZ, at least not this early in development, otherwise zombies would already be close to finished, survival is the focus, we are more likely to see wild animals and hunting aspects added, before we see the zombies being focused on.

In the words of Rocket: "If you are not convinced that you must buy the game, wait until you ARE convinced"

Hello again, 

first of all thank you for all the responses, even though most of you are mindlessly insulting me and just saying "its an alpha its an alpha"

Well guess what. As someone before already stated, it's been alpha for damn quite a long time, I'm talking about the mod now. They create an alpha, and then they create another alpha, when the first one wasn't even close to finished mod. But okay. 

Seems like most of you either didn't read the full post, or else you'd understand that I'm not saying DayZ is BAD in ANY sense at all.

DayZ is the most addictive and fun game/mod/whatever I've ever played.

I'm just saying that, while it really excels in almost every other part of the game, it fails with the zombies. 

Zombies in DayZ are not zombies, and they will never be. Do not argue with me on that point. They are trying to be, but fail at it greatly. Hence the name "Dayz is FailZ" , I never meant that as the whole game is a fail, I'm talking about the fact that the whole game is pretty much about zombies, and they are the biggest minus also. 

I got my answer there however.

To me DayZ is a thrilling survival game with zombies in it. Replace the zombies with any similar threat (packs of radioactive psycho-wolves) and the essence of the game remains.

So yeah, exactly. I do agree that zombies represent some danger and thrill in the game and/or mod. It just doesn't feel like a game of 21th century at all. (regarding the zombies)

Oh and, to all the "hello kid" and "im 12 and wanna make a thread" , well... who's the dumb kiddo now, the one that insults the other, or the one that's actually trying to help this game's development by sharing his thoughts ? I think you know the answer.

Also one more thing, I know very well that this is alpha, as well as I know that there are going to be more zombies and maybe roaming hordes (which I strongly don't believe will happen before 2015 but that's just my opinion). As I said, they will simply just never feel right. They will never be scary and terrifying. 

Once again, as I said many times, DayZ is an awesome game. I just said my opinion on the zombies, that's it. But from what I've read in the other threads and this one as well, this forum isn't capable of a discussion, as there are always the "flamers" . 

Anyway, just close this thread if possible please. I've made a huge mistake trying to actually discuss anything on the forums. 

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

We all wish zombies would be much more lethal and nasty but it will take tremendous amount of work and we're only a week after the alpha release. I do not know what team rocket has got in their sleeves but I hope they've got something.

I wouldn't really mind even pre-scripted zombies inside some buildings or towns.

Zombies in an open world setting are really difficult to make right. Everyone love the Romero-style slow zombies... but they simply do not work in a non "staged (movie) environment. The camera frame in movies provide the closed space impression needed for those zombies to function.

If you have guns and can see them before they see you, usually they are pretty trivial to deal with.

If you want a good example of "gimmick creature" the game "the thing" had an interesting way to make monsters that where still frightening. The "things" where sensible to bullets but it would merely "weaken" them, you had to incinerate them to destroy them. Incinerating them required to get in close range, you risked to burn yourself, set the building you where in on fire, get the creature to land a hit on you or get infected.

Project zomboid goes all the way "in" with this and gives you a 50% chance of letal infection for EVERY bite. Melee weapons are obviously the quiet way to dispatch zombies, but also expose you to that fatal bite, in this game there is no cure for the zombie virus, and it takes a couple days to incubate, you may be already condemned without knowing it.

If we had a combination of those two systems we could have extremely dangerous zombies where making them aware of your presence is already a death sentence.

• Like 2

Let's see a show of hands here.

Who else bought the alpha version of the game? The one where they drastically lowered the zombies to test player load on the servers?

Then said something about overloading zombies once things settle out.

*raises hand*

Let's see a show of hands here.

Who else bought the alpha version of the game? The one where they drastically lowered the zombies to test player load on the servers?

Then said something about overloading zombies once things settle out.

*raises hand*

To be honest, I pre-ordered DayZ, and now have access to the alpha, and despite all the missing features and bugs(I dabble in game development, so I am somewhat aware of the process), I am enjoying it a hell of a lot more then the mod.

Whilst the topic subject perhaps wasn't the best to reduce the number of flamers, it's pretty damned sad that a post that is actually pretty constructive has been flamed so much.  Yes there is a dedicated place to deal with bugs, but this forum is the place to discuss things such as zombies, their numbers & behavior etc.  "It's an alpha, moron!" type posts actually show the poster to be more of a moron than the OP ever was.

While the bugs will hopefully get ironed out using the right process, the game will only become great through getting feedback via the forums on what people want and why.  Flaming the people who at least make the effort to type more than 10 words won't make the game any better, but will perhaps make it worse because other potential posters that have feedback won't want to be flamed by the trolls.

• Like 1

Whilst the topic subject perhaps wasn't the best to reduce the number of flamers, it's pretty damned sad that a post that is actually pretty constructive has been flamed so much.  Yes there is a dedicated place to deal with bugs, but this forum is the place to discuss things such as zombies, their numbers & behavior etc.  "It's an alpha, moron!" type posts actually show the poster to be more of a moron than the OP ever was.

While the bugs will hopefully get ironed out using the right process, the game will only become great through getting feedback via the forums on what people want and why.  Flaming the people who at least make the effort to type more than 10 words won't make the game any better, but will perhaps make it worse because other potential posters that have feedback won't want to be flamed by the trolls.

I agree the hate in this thread is ridiculous. Poor OP got hit hard but that doesn't make the main point any better.

He complains about zombies when they have already been acknowledged by Rocket. Wait until the changes come and THEN give feedback. It's like a mechanic saying, "That'll patch 'er up for now and it'll drive, but bring it back in about a week or two and we'll have it good as new," only to have the customer complain that it's not "good as new" two days later.

People complain about the lack of guns, as if that's going to make more guns appear. People complain about the northern wastes, as if that's going to add cities to it. People complain about server hoppers, as if that's going to patch them away.

It's been acknowledged, let the devs change something before complaining further, or let more time pass before complaining it's taking them too long.

• Like 2

I agree the hate in this thread is ridiculous. Poor OP got hit hard but that doesn't make the main point any better.

He complains about zombies when they have already been acknowledged by Rocket. Wait until the changes come and THEN give feedback. It's like a mechanic saying, "That'll patch 'er up for now and it'll drive, but bring it back in about a week or two and we'll have it good as new," only to have the customer complain that it's not "good as new" two days later.

People complain about the lack of guns, as if that's going to make more guns appear. People complain about the northern wastes, as if that's going to add cities to it. People complain about server hoppers, as if that's going to patch them away.

It's been acknowledged, let the devs change something before complaining further, or let more time pass before complaining it's taking them too long.

This, pretty much, this is why people spout "alpha", people could be nicer about it, but the fact is, so many people are bringing up issues that the devs have already announced will be changed, usually in the same way people suggest.

I can't picture zombies being a threat even in the final version, OP's post was pretty messed up, but he nailed one thing on the head.

Arma 2 was always meant to be an army simulator. The melee, the zombies, will never be as good as those coming out now, because those have been designed from ground up to do what they were meant to do.