jkruse05

Nobody's talking about inventory?

I'm sure there are plenty of people around here that have experience with backpacks like those currently in the game. Assuming the game is aiming for real-world inventory sizes each one needs adjustment. The Mountain Backpack in particular is much too small. With all the items I'm currently carrying I should be able to compact a whole 'nother mountain pack into it. I'm sure the inventory system is a work in progress, but here are some ideas to improve it.

1. Break each item into sections of slots. For example, the tac vest is currently 8 combined slots. That could/should be split into 4 sets of 2, maybe 2 of 2 and 1 of 4. Likewise the backpacks could be broken into multiple areas, one large pouch surrounded by pockets of varying sizes and shapes.

2. Make backpacks around 50% larger, especially the main pouch.

3. Make more items stack-able, particularly small ones like syringes or blood test kits. Think small stacks, like 3-5.

4. Introduce a weight system that negatively affects the 'energy' stat of the player as they pile more and more equipment onto their bodies. A lighter load means longer hikes between breaks and faster movement overall. Survivors that want to explore should be looking for the perfect balance of weight versus needed equipment. Making use of clothing slots should do less to effect energy than piling equipment on the back. This also introduces a potential dynamic of dropping the pack when energy is going to be needed, such as an impending fight.

I realize that perfect realism must often be sacrificed in the name of gameplay balance and simple enjoyment, but the inventory system could certainly be more complex without becoming overly complicated. I think at the very least we should see one or two similar ideas implemented.

Edited by jkruse05
  • Like 8

Wait to small?

The bags are huge!

Of course a mountain bag would contain more than it does in this game, but really? you want to make this even bigger.

Right now, with a moutain bag you can survive 3 full days if carefully stocked.

I agree about mountain pack size. Different compartments is a good idea. But so is the staking of items. I think the stack size is something we can live with now and we will see changed later on. Its a typical fix in almost every new mmo...changing the stack size of items.

You are talking about wanting more realistic inventory spaces, yet you want stackable items where 5 items take up the same space as 1 item? I like stackable items but I don't see it as making it more realistic. If we are going to add in pockets to give more realism, I want to be able to stick a knife/pistol in my sock, and a pistol in the front/back of my pants. Also I want to be able to overstuff the pockets so that I can get more stuff in them, but there's a chance it will fall out while I'm running around or bending over (I really wouldn't want this, just another example of how I believe some realism shouldn't be in game).

I personally hate weight in games too, but it does make it more realistic. As a person gearing up and searching for items, I'd really not like to have those people doing nothing but hunting other people to be able to outrun me. As it currently stands, unless the person is a good shot I can often get away from them if I'm not trying to fight them, but with weight added and I am item searching, I'm gonna have alot more stuff than someone just out hunting people for the fun of it that carries nothing but 1 food item, few bullets, and a gun.

You are talking about wanting more realistic inventory spaces, yet you want stackable items where 5 items take up the same space as 1 item? I like stackable items but I don't see it as making it more realistic. 

It's about relative size. If a can of beans is large enough to take up one 'slot' in my pack, then it should take about five syringes to fill the same amount of space. in fact, two or three cans of sardines should fit in the same space as one can of beans. It's about making items feel like they use up an appropriate amount of space compared to others. If we wanted to get super realistic the inventory slots would go down to the size of a matchbook, but that's unwieldy and impractical, so other methods are combined to give a sense of somewhat real pack use.

• Like 2

I'm sure there are plenty of people around here that have experience with backpacks like those currently in the game. Assuming the game is aiming for real-world inventory sizes each one needs adjustment. The Mountain Backpack in particular is much too small. With all the items I'm currently carrying I should be able to compact a whole 'nother mountain pack into it. I'm sure the inventory system is a work in progress, but here are some ideas to improve it.

1. Break each item into sections of slots. For example, the tac vest is currently 8 combined slots. That could/should be split into 4 sets of 2, maybe 2 of 2 and 1 of 4. Likewise the backpacks could be broken into multiple areas, one large pouch surrounded by pockets of varying sizes and shapes.

3. Make more items stack-able, particularly small ones like syringes or blood test kits. Think small stacks, like 3-5.

4. Introduce a weight system that negatively affects the 'energy' stat of the player as they pile more and more equipment onto their bodies. A lighter load means longer hikes between breaks and faster movement overall. Survivors that want to explore should be looking for the perfect balance of weight versus needed equipment. Making use of clothing slots should do less to effect energy than piling equipment on the back. This also introduces a potential dynamic of dropping the pack when energy is going to be needed, such as an impending fight.

I realize that perfect realism must often be sacrificed in the name of gameplay balance and simple enjoyment, but the inventory system could certainly be more complex without becoming overly complicated. I think at the very least we should see one or two similar ideas implemented.

1) Good idea, another example could be to split trousers into left and right pockets, this would stop having an entire cooking pot or med-kit stuffed in your trousers

2) Their quite large as is, especially when storage comes into play. It was mentioned that once items are persistent in the server, devs expects players to horded loot around the map, not even in boxes necessarily.

3) The smaller items might be able to use the already existing percent system that is currently functional, so syringes would become a syringe pack which could have say four uses (-25% per use).

4) like the idea of having to dump your bag to get away, kind of like when running away from a bear. Its also been mentioned that if your bag is damaged then it may fall off, perhaps if it's burdened with lots of heavy items it could be more likely to fall of. So if its damaged you may wan't to keep it reasonably unburdened to stop it further damage to the bag. 

Edited by IcyBlade

1. Not needed and over complicates the inventory system.

2. This is a balance issue. Add too much space and you remove the stress that comes from having to "survive" and scavenge by entering towns. Similar thing will happen once/if storage tents/buildings get added to the game. The more stuff you can carry the less you worry about having to enter towns. As is with a hunter pack and a couple protective cases, I only really have to enter a town to scavenge every 16-20 hours of play time. Sometimes realism has to take a backseat to game balance and smooth game play.

3. See #2

4. I like this suggestion actually and if i recall correctly, Rocket has mentioned something similar to this being discussed for future development.

Edited by Zogvarn
  • Like 1

i like the stacking of small items but think they may be trying to represent value = size .

the more valuable an item the more space it takes up ? a cooker is not valuable yet ! 

as well , be nice to break down the M4 for storage between upper & lower assemblies to take up less space . 

a time constraint should be implemented to assemble it & brake it down .... even tho its only 2 pins ? ..... quick take down pins , might as well throw a beowulf upper on that thing .50 is so sexy !!

if they split it into pockets it would work much better currently you can carry 50 slots in your backpack alone if you use nothing but protection cases  i personally use 4 cases 3 ammo boxes to fix my space issues when running around in the game 

• Like 1

A solution in search of a problem, if you ask me. This is unnecessarily complicated, and adds nothing to the game.

Isn't there a weight system in the pipeline? I thought I remembered reading something about that..

No weight system only stamina system, carry too much and you will get tired faster

Protective cases etc are the way to go.

A protective case takes up 2x2 spaces but contains 2x3 slots as does the medical kit.

Ammo boxes too save space, just carry 1 60/60 clip and load the rounds in manually.

If the gunbag idea gets added for a second gun then what more is needed.

Inventory space is fine if you use the above techniques, if you need more space to carry gear then what will be the point in bringing tents and vehicles into the game?

I personally hate weight in games too, but it does make it more realistic. As a person gearing up and searching for items, I'd really not like to have those people doing nothing but hunting other people to be able to outrun me. As it currently stands, unless the person is a good shot I can often get away from them if I'm not trying to fight them, but with weight added and I am item searching, I'm gonna have alot more stuff than someone just out hunting people for the fun of it that carries nothing but 1 food item, few bullets, and a gun.

That's the point. 

Overall I like the OPs suggestions and I hope they get implemented. 

i like the stacking of small items but think they may be trying to represent value = size .

the more valuable an item the more space it takes up ? a cooker is not valuable yet ! 

No, it's realistic size we're talking about here and that's sort of implemented in game, not a value size. Value size would just be ridiculous. 

Inventory system is fine.  I think it strikes a perfect balance and really makes you think about what you cart around with you.

The only thing I would change is the ability to flip and rotate items similar to Resident Evil 4.