Sign in to follow this  
Nipson

Something I wanted to say (positive Alpha thoughts)

That's something I wanted to say before the latest announcement thread was locked.

I understand the point of view of many, but we simply can't expect the same from an Alpha and a full released game. The goal here is to support the game development and give good feedback and suggestions to the devs. 

So IMO, we're "supportive" alpha testers before we are customers. Damn, it's an Alpha, not even a so called "beta" : an Alpha. Before this trend of sharing alpha games with the public, we never heard of any alpha, or beta (I think about about a few years later, maybe a decade or more), those were totally secret to the community, only very small groups of people were aware of them. Nowadays, we're given a chance to give live feedback to our beloved game devs. The point is absolutely not to reclaim more updates, more content, more this, more that. Everything will obviously come at some point. We all must realize that it has just been something like 1 week or so since the release of the StandAlone. Plus it's the XMas holidays for EVERYONE.

Now people can not restraint themselves and stop reclaiming more and more. But before the release of the SA, people would reclaim the SA as soon as possible ! It's a never ending story. 

I just think we should feel kind of lucky to be able to get involved in the game development at such an early stage. That's something not every game developer does because of all the problems it can cause. And I'm sure, you who read those lines, can understand my opinion. 

My motto for DayZ would be "Wait, get involved and see what happens. Get involved again". In a good way. 

• Like 16

I applaud you for your intelligence! .. that's not sarcasm haha

It surprises me that people are suprised this isn't a complete polished game!

• Like 1

I think a lot of people here need to realize the difference between a Bug Report and a Feature Request.. 

People who request features -> ITS ALPHA.. Wait for the development process to flesh out a bit, and you may see your feature.. IF you don't, THEN you may request the feature come Beta/Gold..

People who report bugs/glitches/serious issues with gameplay -> The "It's alpha" bullshit doesn't fly. It's our "job" to report these things and give feedback.

That said.. People should STOP requesting features.. I am pretty sure Dean knows what direction he wants to take the game and there will be plenty of time for community requested features to come to fruition. Until then, let's focus on the important issues.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people here need to realize the difference between a Bug Report and a Feature Request.. 

People who request features -> ITS ALPHA.. Wait for the development process to flesh out a bit, and you may see your feature.. IF you don't, THEN you may request the feature come Beta/Gold..

People who report bugs/glitches/serious issues with gameplay -> The "It's alpha" bullshit doesn't fly. It's our "job" to report these things and give feedback.

That said.. People should STOP requesting features.. I am pretty sure Dean knows what direction he wants to take the game and there will be plenty of time for community requested features to come to fruition. Until then, let's focus on the important issues.

I don't think anyones truly requesting anything more people are excited and excited to talk about what they would like to see in the game (no matter how stupid it is haha).

People just want to talk about why they excited for the game and what they're hoping for it's all just fairy tales! that's how i look at it anywhose

let us feel special :(

Edited by twingunz

I don't think anyones truly requesting anything more people are excited and excited to talk about what they would like to see in the game (no matter how stupid it is haha).

People just want to talk about why they excited for the game and what they're hoping for it's all just fairy tales! that's how i look at it anywhose

let us feel special :(

Look at the forums once a day and you'll see what I mean.. Every day there's several threads bitching about combat loggers, server hoppers, and hackers, as though this game is somehow competitive.

Meanwhile, I've seen very few people bring up the fact that ladders frequently kill players. I've not seen a single thread mention how sometimes players get stuck in an animation where it looks like they're gliding across the terrain flipping an item under their arm repeatedly...

Seeing what the game already is is already pretty promising. Yet, we are just 1 week and a half from the alpha SA realease. To me everything is going great so far, and I should even say better than great with (if I'm not mistaking) 3 updates made in a few days, and one pending update waiting to be released soon enough. 

With all the warnings, disclaimers we have seen before buying the game, I really couldn't stand any more stupid comments (I can not use another word than stupid, I've seen really really dumb thing on the latest announcement thread). But that's not the point. The real thing is that, as some have already said, our "job" is to test the game from A to Z, Norh to South (well it would be from South to North ingame ^^), and report all the glitches and bugs we can see at the moment. And the "job" only consist in playing like an addict (well, we might all are already :P), spend a lot of time ingame and when we encounter a bug/glitch, post it in the right place.

I don't even think that suggesting new features is useful anymore now (that's my personal opinion). Rocket's team has already plenty of work to do, and they know it. They know what to do and how to do it. Damn, it was an Arma 2 mod at the beginning, just look where we are now. Isn't it great already ? And there's more to come as the time pass.

EDIT : btw, english isn't my first language, so you know, apologies etc. :)

Edited by Nipson
  • Like 1

Thanks god(not another alpha-hate thread)...beans for you mate

• Like 2

People should be forced to write "This is an alpha, bitching about an alpha on the forum is a sin" 50 times before they are given access to any server in DayZ. 

Edited by landfish
  • Like 2

I was expecting something else when I opened this thread.

Ahaha, I should've written another title regarding all the "hate" posts have already seen here. That's true ^^

People should be forced to write "This is an alpha" 50 times before they are given access to any server in DayZ. 

That's actually a pretty good idea, some kind of Captcha system ? :D

It doesn't even need to be defended as an alpha any more. The game has been number 1 in Steam's topseller list for like 2 weeks now.

This despite:

Never going on sale during a time of massive discounts

A MASSIVE disclaimer about the alpha state of the game

A very niche style of gameplay that most certainly does not cater to the majority

So yeah. If you want to complain about the game being shit, if logic doesn't shut you up, the stats have to. The game is good. Face it.

Edited by Imbalanxd
  • Like 2

I really wonder how many of these people have taken part in Beta testing before for other games. I don't have the most experience but I have beta tested two other games and I BOUGHT this one with expectations based on my past experiences with testing. This "alpha" has blown away the other two beta's that I tested. Sure some features don't work / are not 'turned' on yet, but this is a very solid game especially for an alpha. I have not died at all on a later/roof (unlike the mod). I did fall from a later but just before I hit the ground I appeared on the later again and all was safe. I also had a door open inside a house and push me through the wall down to the ground, but again I appeared back in the house safe. That is a major fix over the mod already.

I didn't get it until after the last update, so I eagerly await the next one. Great game so far, just keep giving feedback and help shape this development.

• Like 1

Glad I'm not alone.  I know this is an alpha, and I wanted it to help polish and fix a game that I plan on enjoying for a very long time.

Having said that, this game is still a lot of fun.  Bugs and all.  I can't wait to see each and every patch they release as it fixes portions of the game and adds more eventually.  I'm very happy with this alpha.

It doesn't even need to be defended as an alpha any more. The game has been number 1 in Steam's topseller list for like 2 weeks now.

This despite:

Never going on sale during a time of massive discounts

A MASSIVE disclaimer about the alpha state of the game

A very niche style of gameplay that most certainly does not cater to the majority

So yeah. If you want to complain about the game being shit, if logic doesn't shut you up, the stats have to. The game is good. Face it.

Not to mention a complete lack of commercial advertising... I've seen what? One official trailer so far?

Edited by =FOX= Damocles
  • Like 1

I really wonder how many of these people have taken part in Beta testing before for other games. I don't have the most experience but I have beta tested two other games and I BOUGHT this one with expectations based on my past experiences with testing. This "alpha" has blown away the other two beta's that I tested. Sure some features don't work / are not 'turned' on yet, but this is a very solid game especially for an alpha. I have not died at all on a later/roof (unlike the mod). I did fall from a later but just before I hit the ground I appeared on the later again and all was safe. I also had a door open inside a house and push me through the wall down to the ground, but again I appeared back in the house safe. That is a major fix over the mod already.

I didn't get it until after the last update, so I eagerly await the next one. Great game so far, just keep giving feedback and help shape this development.

Exactly, beta/alpha testing isn't made for the casual player. Furthermore, I also think that many players get over attached to their ingame character however it's an alpha. Which obviously means you can lose your character anytime (even if you can prevent as much as possible that problem). 

This game is a lot lot lot of fun already, and while enjoying it for hours, we just have to reports bugs we obviously encounter. I've already got 75h+ ingame, and have rage quit some times like some of us I think, but still. That's what an alpha is.