Sign in to follow this  
DevilDog (DayZ)

Propane Stoves? Do they work

I am just wondering if anyone has gotten the propane stove to light yet, if so how. If not no worries. Just exploring what works so far.

(Also the search function is terrible)

My personal knowledge which may well be out of date is that I could get it turned on and a cooking pot on top of it but couldn't cook anything. Might well have changed since then I don't know man

• Like 1

Yeah what liam said i haven't tried myself so can't confirm but as far as i'm aware it works but cooking is yet to be enabled

In case anyone else is searching for this answer you have to place the stove on the ground and then light it. After that you can place the pot on it. As of now you can't cook anything in it. I assume later on you will be able to make the rice and other food. Being a chef might be as important as being a medic haha.

I was successful at creating the stove itself but I couldn't put the pot on top for some reason. I guess that's what rice is for, so you could boil in combination with water. Maybe there will be cooking recipes in the future :) Like rice with chicken wings or something.

Yea we were lugging around portable stoves last night until we stopped in a small out of the way spot and tried to cook rice. It only took about 10 minutes for us to figure out that either a. It wasn't working or b. it was bugged. Happy that we could still consume our rice dry we munched it down and drained a well dry.

All in all it was a fantastic first night for me.

I was successful at creating the stove itself but I couldn't put the pot on top for some reason. I guess that's what rice is for, so you could boil in combination with water. Maybe there will be cooking recipes in the future :) Like rice with chicken wings or something.

Once you put the stove on the ground and access your inventory just drag your pot over to the stove in the "Vicinity" area. Then it should appear on top of the stove. Pretty cool looking. I built one and left it there. It was in a hall way with an extra propane bottle and fire ext. I sat down and tried to take a screen shot but they don't work.

Yea we were lugging around portable stoves last night until we stopped in a small out of the way spot and tried to cook rice. It only took about 10 minutes for us to figure out that either a. It wasn't working or b. it was bugged. Happy that we could still consume our rice dry we munched it down and drained a well dry.

All in all it was a fantastic first night for me.

Always glad to hear other people are enjoying this game as much as I am.

I was doing some testing with putting together a stove and cookpot. This is the exact steps you need to take to put it together:

1. Click and drag the portable stove over a propane tank. This should combine the two.

2. Click and drag the portable stove w/ propane attached into the vicinity.

3. Right click the stove in the vicinity and select "turn on"

4. Once it's on (you'll see the blue flames and sound effect of burning gas going), click and drag the cooking pot over the stove.

And there ya go! I didn't have water at the time otherwise I would have tried to test the boiling water and cooking rice aspect although, I'm hearing that's not implemented yet? I'd still like to try :P

Also notes:

- You CANNOT add the cooking pot to the stove if the stove isn't on first. If you do, it just replaced the stove with the pot. Again, turn the stove on and THEN drag the pot over it.

- You CANNOT put the entire crafted stove + cooking pot in your bag. You have to detach the cook pot first.

Does lighting the stove and either holding it or sitting near it warm you up? I am freezing to death and have both bits but nothing is helping me get warm and dry? PLease help. It says in the stove blurb it is for cooking or heating!

Yeah I couldn't get it to do anything with the pot, but it insta burned my meat with the frying pan. I don't bother with them anymore.

To be honest, I 100% get that were in Alpha, But i do find it strange that, Gas Stove cookers (which has to be the most common item found in the game especially on a persistant server) still dont work,

I remember i started playing about 5 months ago and tried to make one work only to find it burnt everything. they should really make it work soon, unless there's some super diffcult coding behind making it not intsa burn everything.

Would make the fresh spawn experience very different survival wise thats for sure. and lets be honest, You're going to find more Knifes/Pans/Pots than you are of Gas Stoves yet atm its all about the broken gas stove.

To be honest, I 100% get that were in Alpha, But i do find it strange that, Gas Stove cookers (which has to be the most common item found in the game especially on a persistant server) still dont work,

I remember i started playing about 5 months ago and tried to make one work only to find it burnt everything. they should really make it work soon, unless there's some super diffcult coding behind making it not intsa burn everything.

Would make the fresh spawn experience very different survival wise thats for sure. and lets be honest, You're going to find more Knifes/Pans/Pots than you are of Gas Stoves yet atm its all about the broken gas stove.

You can't add water into the cooking pot yet, so it works like it's intended...

Not fixed yet?? Damn!! That is ultimate survival item. It has so much potential: cooking food, cooking hot beverages, boiling water from ponds, crafting (melting metal objects), improvised granades....

Those gas stoves should also provide warmth. I can't wait until they actually do that (I hope they eventually do that!).

Those gas stoves should also provide warmth. I can't wait until they actually do that (I hope they eventually do that!).

Gas stoves DO provide warmth.

Stove + gas canister is much more convenient warming-up device than all the fire-lighting gubbins - just crouch near it when it's on.

• Like 1

You can't add water into the cooking pot yet, so it works like it's intended...

You should be able to fry stuff though, after all the only kind of meat you seem to be able to get from big game are steaks.

AFAIK, it is working, but it is bugged, because your steaks go from raw to burnt almost immediately, so there's not a good chance of getting them out, during the "cooked"-phase

Gas stoves DO provide warmth.

Stove + gas canister is much more convenient warming-up device than all the fire-lighting gubbins - just crouch near it when it's on.

Really? I couldn't get it to work.

... wait a sec, now that I think about it I might have tried it on a 2nd or 3rd story of a building. There's a bug where nothing gives warmth unless it's on the ground. Maybe that was my problem?

I can't wait for the day propain stoves work correctly, it just burns meat now days. The do light and you can also use the lamp too.

If you could use it to both provide heat and cook food with out burning, this would be an asome item. It only takes 2 slots, and is a hell of lot better then hauling around a fireplace kit or a big ass log every where you go, and a fire place kit!? (which is really kind of dumb that we have to do that...never did that when I went back packing)

So at some point we could have a stove and lamp that only takes up 4 slots! Way better, much rather luging a log or a fire place kit around. Also the pot is a really good item to pick up too. It takes up 4 slots yet carrys 6 peices of meat. Would be a nice lil kit a stove a lamp, with the can propain cans attached to save room. A pot. You got light, a cooking/heating device and something to store your food in plus use to cook with....all for 8 slots. Not bad! Get this stove working right please devs!

I'm not sure why they haven't fixed the issues with the stove yet.....its kind of way more important then it was before hunting and weather effects were added. That should be high on there list. I get cold every hour......I sware. I light at least 2 fire each time I play. Just a matter of time before someone sees me sitting next to fire and shoots me. Even in the wood I get concerned about it, fire place kits are like beacons. Cool graghic effects and all but I want other means to stay warm too and cook. And don't get me wrong...building fire is a cool option, its kind of cool to sit next to it...should NOT be the only option though.

Hopefully this fixed in the next patch or a hot fix. I'm sure sooner or later they will get it, I hoping sooner rather then later.

Edited by CJFlint

Really? I couldn't get it to work.

... wait a sec, now that I think about it I might have tried it on a 2nd or 3rd story of a building. There's a bug where nothing gives warmth unless it's on the ground. Maybe that was my problem?

I did it on the upper floor of one of those green houses with the double doors at the front and the big kitchen downstairs with the computer in it. So sometimes, at least, it does work upstairs. But yeah, it might not be consistent.

• Like 1