Sign in to follow this  
LunyAlex

Winter.

Okay so I was playing DayZ, enjoying my time, killing some zombies, getting mugged and unclothed by some lovely gentlemen, when suddenly it hit me...

You know what would work amazingly well in DayZ?

Tanks, regenerative health, a cover sysbahahahaha.

Sorry.

Winter.

I know it's doable, as I've seen some user modifications attempt winter conversion.

Surely this would probably require monolithic amounts of work, but in my imagination it would be a fantastic evolution in the world of DayZ.

I'm also sure I'm definitely not the first person to think of this (hence the mod I saw on youtube), but the search function on the forums didn't bring up anything.

Mechanics:

More focus on temperature.

I'm thinking of camping, but somehow I can't really figure out how setting up shelter and "sitting" could be made interesting after the initial gathering of resources.

Blizzards : Lower visibility. Higher "upkeep" on body temperature. Faster draining of calories hence more need for food.

Snowfall would be paramount for atmosphere

Footprints : Would mark your path for a certain distance. If you don't want to get traced you need to... wear tennis rackets?

That said the mechanics, to me, wouldn't be the highlight.

The atmosphere of winter survival would. I'm personally a sucker for winter in games and I know I would LOVE to play DayZ in such an environment.

Not sure how this idea would be received. Thought I'd share, still.

Edited by LunyAlex
  • Like 19

Great Idea's,

I think you winter wishes and possible temperature indicates will most likely come true later on in development. ;)

• Like 1

...getting mugged and unclothed by some lovely gentlemen..

I lol'd

"Footprints : Would mark your path for a certain distance. If you don't want to get traced you need to... wear tennis rackets?"

This ^

Edited by Dutter

It sure would increase the skill needed to survive. Buildings for shelter, fire needed as well as more food burning calories to keep warm. Drying your clothing as well. If you could add foot prints then it could get scary!!!!!

How about seasons in general? Again, I know it's probably hugely ambitious but imagine if the seasons changed on a weekly basis or so. Cycling through spring, summer, autumn and winter would be awesome. Each season bringing its own challenges and risks to overcome (a higher risk of exhaustion and dehydration in summer for example due to the higher temperatures).

definetly devs should consider this, really love that temperature idea it should by one of the main stat in the game like thirst,hunger etc. (not just in winter, especially at night) stay warm is definetly first think you have to do if you want to survive. ppl will be forced to somehow warm themself by creating bonfire (visible smoke) that will lead to vulnerability ---> bandit/zombie attacks.

Perfect Idea to the future, but for now at least for me priority that i want to see in game: zombies that are a real threat (and of course counts of them, cities should be crowded by zombies .... ) couse now the real threat are ppl and game is focused on pvp and it shouldn´t be that way.

If zombies becomes real threat people will cooperate and maybe less kill each other for gear.

TLDR: wait till main parts of the game will work (zombies), then focus on this ideas and make those suggestions ... The main intention of the game isn´t there (Zombie survival game---> now zombies aren´t threat !!!) so devs should focus on that. Hope that it won´t take long becouse game has so f*cking potentional...

Footprints : Would mark your path for a certain distance. If you don't want to get traced you need to... wear tennis rackets?

That would still leave footprints, and even larger ones at that.

The only thing rackets help with is falling through the snow.

Would Zombies freeze stiff   :)

On a lesser scale I’d love weather to be more dynamic. I’ve seen Rain watching Twich in the mod and it was a great tension builder when it starts.  Bring in Morning Fog, Rainstorms with lightning.

Foot prints would disappear over time but for a time could be lethal to leave behind. It would be interesting being in one of those tower blocks in Winter and seeing  smoke or a few fires in other blocks.

Edited by sav112
  • Like 1

That would still leave footprints, and even larger ones at that.

The only thing rackets help with is falling through the snow.

Fair enough. I'd still imagine the tracks would be covered up by snow faster with rackets on, considering you don't leave as much of a "dent".

Regarding the seasons idea.

If a server would cycle through seasons dynamically the hardest thing I can see to implement (from the user perspective of course) is transitions. (And I wouldn't imagine real time seasons personally. More along the lines of one real life month each).

Winter is Coming. TM

Like Strite wrote earlier, seasons would be awesome. I was thinking about that for SA the other day and was going to write something but there is no feature suggestion sub-forum for SA so I take it Rocket and his crew are not accepting input

Fair enough. I'd still imagine the tracks would be covered up by snow faster with rackets on, considering you don't leave as much of a "dent".

Regarding the seasons idea.

If a server would cycle through seasons dynamically the hardest thing I can see to implement (from the user perspective of course) is transitions. (And I wouldn't imagine real time seasons personally. More along the lines of one real life month each).

Yeah players would gear up for it, you cant surprise a players going from Summer to winter. Plus if it was a global server thing it would keep the game interesting. Less roaming more survival. Water frozen would mean either you melt snow and hope its free from contaminates or make sure you have a stock pile.

Thing is you can recreate what a real life disaster is as it just would not make good game play. You cant have players stuck in a tower for hours and hours. I'd love it but I dont think many would.

Well, they already have a whole line of seasonal hunting gear in the game, so I could see it as a possibility really far down the road. 

Yea, unfortunately, I really can't think of mechanics that would make being stationary generally accepted. Looking for a place to stay for a short period of time, being paranoid about being seen and defending your shelter if necessary would be amazing. But the main point of setting up camp (resting) would mean no activity.

Unless you'd make "resting" unrealistically short and give the player some inventory micromanagement [cook meat, craft tools] to do.

I'd love to play in a dynamic enviroment. Think over the different season situations like:

- spring - it's fine the best period to do pretty much everything, maybe some foggy mornings, where you can't see over 50 meters

- summer - less clothing and gear carrying or you get dehydrated pretty soon and about the physical stress to march under the sun)

- autumn - heavy rains and thunder storms necessary to have rain coats or everything will be wet and eventually degrade or rust

- winter - snow will fall, temperature are extreme especially at night, need to find shelter to regain temperature, much calories need to be consumed, sickness and difficoulties to aim propelly due to tremors. Snow track will make it a good hunt time thou...

the fog thing it's something that will make it super scary in moments like day walking in cities and just see an unrecognizable shadow in the distance...See "The Myst" situation.

I don't think it could be implemented very well.I would rather see the northern part of the map extended,and the more up north you go the colder it gets.

I don't think it could be implemented very well.I would rather see the northern part of the map extended,and the more up north you go the colder it gets.

I like the idea of the farther north you go the colder it gets. Wonder if they plan on adding to the map ever?

I like the idea of the farther north you go the colder it gets. Wonder if they plan on adding to the map ever?

Behind the northern mountains... Why not. On their homepage snow falls.

This is exactly what i had in mind earlier today.
And well, seeing as how we currently play on late summer/autumn. I would love to see summer, like real proper green summer. After all i know it has been done to Chernarus on Arma 2. In the ACR - Army of the czech republic -expansion. And man it looked good.

As for regarding the Winter and footprints. I wouldn't like them dissappearing automatically. I mean, if there was snowfall or blizzard, or anything in between, or just really gusty winds (which blow the snow around) then i would see the footprints and other tracks dissappearing. That would really boost up the paranoia. Also, slower movement on deeper snow and all that.

As for seasonal changes, 2 months irl, would mean the change of a season. Having all 4 seasons of course.

So i give this idea a BIG CAN OF  :beans:

I think it could definitely work. You would not have to be stuck sitting in a building waiting out a storm, that would be boring. What could happen though is that as it snows and the temp is low you need to go build a fire to dry out our clothes, maybe just takes a few minutes. So you go out, scavenge around then start to get cold or wet (depending on weather) and have to remedy it. Hand warmers work as a temporary short term fix, but building a fire and going inside with a heat source is your best option. So it is not static, sitting there doing nothing, but just a consciousness about the weather.

As for the seasons I love it. Would be cool if in a real world month you have 10 day of Summer, 5 of Fall, 10 Winter and 5 Spring.

Spring and Fall would be the best time to hunt, with winter being the worst. Summer would be the best time to fish, again winter the worst. Maybe use an axe to cut through ice to get drinking water? All the water pumps would be frozen though. So you could stock up on supplies knowing that "Winter is Coming".

There is so much potential for either just the atmosphere or the atmosphere + game play.

rocket should put winter on the to do list, but that wont be out for like a year or two depending on how fast the team works out bugs and glitches as well as getting out of alpha stage first lol,

ps Namalsk is a winter map they could use the basis for that map.