bad_mojo (DayZ)

Item accessibility

Right now it doesn't matter where you put your items, the pockets of your hoodie or in a protective case in your backpack, you can access everything instantly via the hotbar. Should this change? What's your opinion?

• Like 2

Interesting point.  It would make sense that items accessed from the hotbar which are in your backpack take longer to use/equip.

I think there should be some sort of animation for grabbing any item out of your:

• Pockets
  • Vest
  • Back Pack

Etc Etc

It's not exactly instant though there is a delay with animations etc.. Any longer would maker it un-playable.

When adding a feature you should really think about what it ultimately adds to the game..

Does this add another layer of immersion, and if so, does it outweigh the added time waste? In my opinion eating and drinking already takes as long as it should.

If we are going for realism, we would have to take of the bag each time we use it. No thank you

It's not exactly instant though there is a delay with animations etc.. Any longer would maker it un-playable.

I don't see how it would be unplayable.

If you need to access something out of a backpack it should take time, though i agree not too long, we are still dealing with a game.

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 1

I don't see how it would be unplayable.

If you need to access something out of a backpack it should take time, though i agree not too long, we are still dealing with a game.

Because ok I need to drink.. I'm now stuck in that animation while the zombie gets closer nothing I can do.

Add the layer of getting the bag out zipping up blah blah I'd never have a bag!

As the above guy said realism to a point.

Because ok I need to drink.. I'm now stuck in that animation while the zombie gets closer nothing I can do.

Get rid of the zed before trying to enter your backpack...

There's no problem here.

I was thinking about not being able to hotbar items in your backpack or in a container. It's too easy right now to have 3 medkits with all sorts of different items and pull each one out of nowhere at the press of a button. That should require dedicating all your pockets & pouches, not just 12 slots in your 35 slot backpack.

Sure, you might have to stop and open your inventory to drink you canteen from your backpack, but you could just put it in a pocket/pouch. Or like narkoman said, kill the zombies first.

but what if thy can just smooth-out the animations so it wouldn't glitch anymore, and make it like you can cancel the animation if you see a zombie getting close.

and if you want to get som items quicker you can just put those in your vest or pants, that way you wouldn't have to put down your back pack and open it up, just some basic inventory management.

for example: put 2 or three mags of ammo in your vest to reload normal (with the R key) , but if you have those mags in your back pack, you would need to open your backpack first to get the mags out.

its not something that urgent to implement in the game but they can add it in later at beta stage for example .      

I've already been prioitising whats in my pockets/vest compared to my backpack. I think this actually having some effect would add a nice extra element to item management. Like you'd want your mags and pistol in you vest/pocket as when you need them, you tend to need them in a hurry. Food and drink, I'd happily have in my backpack as I'm going to make sure I'm safe before I start eating and drinking anyway. A delay in getting items out of your pack and a smaller additional delay for any containers they're within would be cool in my opinion.

Yep I've currently got pistol inside a mountain backpack, inside another mountain backpack, inside another mountain backpack (repeat 11 times) and can still access it from the hotbar. lol. Doesn't really make much sense but I'm sure it will be changed in time.

Edited by SmashT

Yep I've currently got pistol inside a mountain backpack, inside another mountain backpack, inside another mountain backpack (repeat 11 times) and can still access it from the hotbar. lol. Doesn't really make much sense but I'm sure it will be changed in time.

I think in this instance yes the hot bar is OP! But I think doing that with the bags is a bug / exploit ATM.

It's not much of an exploit putting a bag inside a bag. They take up the whole bag don't they?

nope they don't

nope they don't

You get like an extra line of free space for every bag exactly

Best touch the military bag has 1 line less than the bright mountain bags yet can hold the mountain bag. Free line better camouflage.

I felt like bumping this since we've all had a chance to play more.

I still feel like this new inventory system is too quick and easy when dealing with the contents of your backpack. The design of the arma2 inventory system, as awkward as it was, did result in people not using their backpack as a workspace & big pocket like we have now.

Edit: I feel like it would add to the experience if we had to put our pack into our hands in order to add contents to it. To see someone running around a building with a backpack in their hands picking up items would be more authentic than someone with an m4 looking at a can of beans and it magically teleporting into their backpack. I'm not saying they need animations for picking stuff up(but that'd be sweet too), but you should have to have empty hands or be holding the container(backpack) in order to loot stuff.

Edited by bad_mojo