Sign in to follow this  
strideynet

How the world came to be. The origins of the virus.

2 years ago a new strain of virus that manipulate olfactory nerve endings appeared. Scientists were intrigued and grow some in a lab. In further studies they discovered it manipulated the Front Cortex, Amygdala and the Ventromedial Hypothalamus. These parts of the brain were ravaged and caused the following effects:

Loss of rational action

Loss of long term memory

Insatiable hunger

Ignorance of pain

Future research saw that it could move up the neurons from any part of the body to its target area, military scientists were intrigued and multiple dark national agencies broke into the labs and stole the culture. Amount these symptoms other bodily functions begin to deteriate eventually leading to the death of an infected subject. This was not wanted by the generals so the scientists set to work mutating and adapting the virus. Finally they had the virus, subjects had the ability to run for miles on end as they ignored pain signals from the muscles. It was not perfect, vision and other senses were weakened but this was acceptable.

2 months later governments dismissed the projects as being expensive and too dangerous to continue, unfortunately a large company brought out a large division of the governments research departments and moved the remnants of the dark project to their cheneraus based labs. They continued research and began to collect people of the street. Their plan to sell these subjects as living weapons.

5 months later, a year from the current day, a human rights activist Invaded the compound and released the subjects unknowing of the effect. Within 3 weeks cheneraus was in ruin. After that Europe fell. Within 3 months from the release only, some island territories remained uninfected.

Some people had a natural genetic switch, these peoples bodies could destroy the virus on infection. You are one of these selected few. This is your story. This is DayZ.

I based some of this on fact. Your olfactory nerves do lead do those areas of the brain and could, theoretically, be used as an entry route. Those parts of the brain are responsible for the listed symptoms.

Edited by strideynet
  • Like 3

Everyone keeps saying they are "infected" but they surely look like zombies to me. Maybe they mean infected with undeath.

• Like 1

Everyone keeps saying they are "infected" but they surely look like zombies to me. Maybe they mean infected with undeath.

They aren't undead.

What is the source of this? Is this a fanfic or actual DayZ lore?

Well. Dean suggested they are infected with a virus. This is technically initially fan-nonfiction. As it's based on factual studies, not on an actual virus. Don't worry.

I'm thinking of writing a Dayz thriller style book. The charecter would discover a selection of hints to this story.

• Like 1

White lab guy comes home to his wife who in a fit of rage throws a vase at him for no reason. Being so annoyed at this white lab coat guy manages to extract some of her blood to analyse and perfect into a virus! One day lab coat guy comes home to find the pool boy balls deep in his wife which is the final straw! He releases the virus into the world and forever dooming the human race. In the first stage of the infection the national guard breaks in to his lab only to find the empty bottle clearly labled PMT and quickly release a statement saying it will forever be that time of the month!

Mmm. Just putting something out there for players who would like something to aim for. Basically summed up below.

This is the past. You are the future. Is the virus really a menace to you. To some it provided an oppurtunity to live rich with others goods, for others it is the bane of their lives. Is it really best your create a cure.

• Like 1

I like it better not knowing what happened.

The sigvatr? Thanks for the ER-lulz, sir. You are a scholar and a gentleman.

Okay, but in game I'm a scientist who wears a freaking green mountain backpack. Ever since I got it back luck has seemingly followed me. Nearly killed by zombies thrice, help up twice, nearly died of thirst last hour!

Rocket's brother is a virologist and has come up with a complete story and idea behind the Infection...as has been said the Infected are not dead, just deranged.

Hopefully Rocket releases the document regarding the background to the virus in the future.

I love story sometime more than movie :)

nice write do more :thumbsup:  ;)

I'm thinking writing from like 16 people's point of views. First a government dude discovering said project, then a scientists view. Then military, then eventually a survivor.

They aren't undead.

Though everybody keeps calling them zombies, which pretty much literaly means undead walking corpse. And I read that rocket wanted to add those crawling zombies etc. without legs in the standalone and some of them without arms, you wouldn't walk around anymore after that even if you are "infected".

Edited by Aseliot

Why must it be undead to move around with only 1 limb. A virus could essentially do anything to your nerual connections.

i think it better like this, "its been 50 years since the outbreak, the world is gone, and this life is all we know"