superkyle

Best way to stop combat logging

Every player starts with a kit to make a small campfire (different from regular campfire) you can't cook with this campfire, but both campfires allow you to log out. Otherwise you cannot exit the game until you have your small campfire or regular campfire up. Any player can log out next to a lit campfire. When you light a campfire, it makes a fireplace sound so everyone knows you're attempting to log out. Then have a 30 second timer.

So, you're in a firefight in a city. you corner a guy into a house. you hear the campfire lit. now you know he's either faking it or logging out within 30 seconds. otherwise you don't have to push the envelope and you know he's still in there. 

Tada.

As for server hopping just make it to where if they log out they spawn outside the city in a ring like other posters have suggested. This also prevents ghosting so people can't spawn in behind a cleared building and surprise you thus ruining any tactical advantage a group has in clearing an area.

The only hiccup to this small fire is how do you get it back in your inventory if you log out and appear away from the campfire? I'm sure a developer could get around this in a number of ways, but one of them would be to have it as a button in game that doesn't even take up any spaces for a lighter/wood and just automatically is the defacto "log out" button.

• Like 3

Every player starts with a kit to make a small campfire (different from regular campfire) you can't cook with this campfire, but both campfires allow you to log out. Otherwise you cannot exit the game until you have your small campfire or regular campfire up. Any player can log out next to a lit campfire. When you light a campfire, it makes a fireplace sound so everyone knows you're attempting to log out. Then have a 30 second timer.

So, you're in a firefight in a city. you corner a guy into a house. you hear the campfire lit. now you know he's either faking it or logging out within 30 seconds. otherwise you don't have to push the envelope and you know he's still in there. 

Tada.

As for server hopping just make it to where if they log out they spawn outside the city in a ring like other posters have suggested. This also prevents ghosting so people can't spawn in behind a cleared building and surprise you thus ruining any tactical advantage a group has in clearing an area.

The only hiccup to this small fire is how do you get it back in your inventory if you log out and appear away from the campfire? I'm sure a developer could get around this in a number of ways, but one of them would be to have it as a button in game that doesn't even take up any spaces for a lighter/wood and just automatically is the defacto "log out" button.

so if i dont have a campfire or im not close to one i cant log out? nope. could say more flaws but im too lazy

• Like 1

A timer of some sort will be appropriate, personally i don't think a campfire option really works

so if i dont have a campfire or im not close to one i cant log out? nope. could say more flaws but im too lazy

not really a flaw, stops a gamey gimmick. Hell, what about logging to escape zombies? people did it all the time. now you have to at least not be chased in order to log out. 

I log all the time because I have the ability to do. take away my ability and now I have to be more reasonable. I cant just run around in the street, get 10 zombie aggro, and leave and no consequences.

Do you want a realistic zombie game or War Z?

There are already intended features to resolve this issue that don't require magic campfires.

I believe they have already been working on it in test builds but they correctly don't want to release a buggy patch.

Some patience and these issues should be resolved or at the very least substantially reduced.

I'd like to see if you combat log, the chances of your items breaking would increase. If your items are broken from your previous attempt at combat logging, then it'll significantly affect your overall health or a chance of having your senses impaired (sight/hearing).

not really a flaw, stops a gamey gimmick. Hell, what about logging to escape zombies? people did it all the time. now you have to at least not be chased in order to log out. 

I log all the time because I have the ability to do. take away my ability and now I have to be more reasonable. I cant just run around in the street, get 10 zombie aggro, and leave and no consequences.

Do you want a realistic zombie game or War Z?

Okay, let me list the flaws, What if someone crashes, he is fucked, what if someone loses connection to a server, what if you already used your campfire and you dont have matches you cannot make one.

There are people who cannot just play all day and have better things to do, they cant just run around in hope to get matches and wood to make a campfire they HAVE to log out then.

It's a horrible idea and i think most of us would agree with this.

• Like 1

Is it possible to replicate the character server side upon forced disconnect for a set period of time? In order to transfer damage/outside effects to said player when he logs back in? Would completely eradicate combat logging.

Oh i'm sorry, lets sacrifice the integrity of the ENTIRE GAME for people who lose connection. And the quick campfire would be a button, uninventoried, so you could always use it. it'd be the new defacto log out button. hell, it could be called the log out button by hitting escape. 

as it stands right now there is NO point in playing day z if it will have server hopping & combat logging in the final release. I'm not saying they aren't working on it, but I am saying that if it remains a problem this will be nicknamed HopZ as it defeats the entire purpose of collecting gear and surviving. in fact, the only way to actually play the game right now is KoS.

Okay, let me list the flaws, What if someone crashes, he is fucked, what if someone loses connection to a server, what if you already used your campfire and you dont have matches you cannot make one.

There are people who cannot just play all day and have better things to do, they cant just run around in hope to get matches and wood to make a campfire they HAVE to log out then.

It's a horrible idea and i think most of us would agree with this.

Let's make it just like in World of Warcraft.

If you hit the escape button to logout, you have a 30 second timer before you can actually press the "Exit / Logout" button.

And if you Alt+F4 out of the game, the character will still be on the server for 30 seconds before he vanishes.

This gives other players and zombies the chance to still kill the player and take his loot even though he's not in the game anymore.

• Like 2

If you hit the escape button to logout, you have a 30 second timer before you can actually press the "Exit / Logout" button.

And if you Alt+F4 out of the game, the character will still be on the server for 30 seconds before he vanishes.

This gives other players and zombies the chance to still kill the player and take his loot even though he's not in the game anymore.

This is all they need to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

This is already happening in many variations of the mod. And if you ask me, it is the easiest and most fair way to do it.

Or stop KOS.

Some new players to DayZ might actually want to explore the map without getting KOSed before they can get off the beach.

Their only alternative is to Alt+F4 so they can get more then 5mins game play before the  KOSclowns end it time and time again.

Or stop KOS.

Some new players to DayZ might actually want to explore the map without getting KOSed before they can get off the beach.

Their only alternative is to Alt+F4 so they can get more then 5mins game play before the  KOSclowns end it time and time again.

I don't see what people with guns are doing at the coast in the first place...

Or stop KOS.

Combat logging isn't limited to fresh spawns.

The problem with a logout timer is that nobody else knows that the person has left the game. How many times have you been in a standoff situation only to find out that the pussy logged out?

OP's implementation might not be perfect but it's definitely on the right track. It's only fair that people in the local vicinity are alerted that somebody trying to wuss out.

I don't see what people with guns are doing at the coast in the first place...

My son and his three other mates have put the game down already because its just another shooter game.Their on BF4 all morning,laughing having fun,and the best part,when they spawn they can defend them self.

Given the so called units sold Vs the players online(43k peak every day),it looks like 150k feel the same way.

Upon combatr logging all your precious hard earned gear gets tossed all over the ground where you bitched and and left. 

And you also have a cooldown to log back into that server. So you can't be a grade a douche canoe and sneak up on Joe Bambi and server hop to kill. Douchebaggery and Bad gamers at their finest.

good concept seems like you actually put some thought into it unlike most of the ideas i read but i personally feel that you can never have something that penalizes the player for needing to go i mean if someone comes to my door i log out, if im gonna cook food i log out, take a dump log out, sneeze log out :P etc etc the world of dayz is too dangerous to just stand around AFK and setting up a camp fire every time i want to log is tedious and gives my position away and i won't always have the time to have to run halfway across the map to some obscure spot where no one will see the smoke!

Not a bad idea better than a lot of suggestions i've read i just don't think restricting  or forcing something upon the player is ever a good idea, just a standard logout timer anywhere will solve 90% of the issue people forget how long 30 seconds is.

My 2 cents given 

I think a logout timer is the best solution that has been proposed, though I would prefer something a little more dynamic.

While it would suck to lose connection or crash and die as a result, it's not like DayZ can tell the difference between a legitimate crash and one through alt F4 or terminating the process in system tasks. There's no way to protect people who crash and still put a stop to combat logging. In the end, combat logging is too big a problem not to address.

At any rate, something needs to change.

The problem with a logout timer is that nobody else knows that the person has left the game. How many times have you been in a standoff situation only to find out that the pussy logged out?

OP's implementation might not be perfect but it's definitely on the right track. It's only fair that people in the local vicinity are alerted that somebody trying to wuss out.

Okay, let's take the logout timer AND add a system which recognizes if you are "in combat" or "out of combat". I'm not quite sure but I guess this is already implemented in the mod (or at least on some private hives).

You are "in combat" if you have zombie aggro and/or if a bullet was shot near you / hit the surrounding near you.

In this case the player cannot log out and the logout timer wont count down from 30 to 0 until he gets "out of combat".

If the player decides to Alt+F4 out of the game when he's still "in combat" the character would still stay in the game until he gets "out of combat" somehow... which wont happen unless the other player (from your mentioned standoff situation) stops shooting.

Or let's go a step further and say: A player can't logout if another player is nearby (i.e. within a 100m range).

Wouldn't this solve the problem?

Edited by Aranthir

7000th thread about this, read around. They did it in the mod, so why suggest anything different?

Or you can just put a 10 seconds timer after which you log, you cant move during the countdown.

Or you can just put a 10 seconds timer after which you log, you cant move during the countdown.

Needs  to be longer, waaay longer. I could easily hide for 10 seconds with someone chasing me.